Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for a new job:  Georgia?  Pennsylvania? (Read 93 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Looking for a new job:  Georgia?  Pennsylvania?
11/16/14 at 12:19:30

Hey all you Savages!  I'm in the process of getting out of the Army after spending 6 years an a Blackhawk mechanic.  I'm looking for a new career  as a civilian aircraft mechanic, and I'm trying to research some places where I've found good openings.  Does anybody here have experience around Columbus, GA?  What about around Coatesville, PA, West of Philly?  Anything that anybody could add would be appreciated.

Also, if anybody happens to know of companies hiring experienced, FAA licensed helicopter mechanics I'd be very grateful of any tips.  This transition has been pretty nerve racking.   Shocked

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Looking for a new job:  Georgia?  Pennsylvania
Reply #1 - 11/16/14 at 14:58:05

i am from columbus ga, live just across the river in auburn, al now. whatcha want to know?  where is the columbus job at?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 11/16/14 at 15:13:36

It's actually at Fort Benning working on Army Blackhawks, basically doing the same thing I'm doing now.  From what I've read, the crime rate in Columbus looks pretty bad, but I know every place has good and bad parts of town.  What is living like in Columbus?  What is there to do?  How is the climate?  I've done some research, but there's nothing like first hand experience.

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 11/16/14 at 15:29:21

you hit it with the crime. it has gotten worse over the last 10-15 years, one of the reasons i am happy to be in auburn now. if you live north of airport thruway up into harris county\fortson or east in midland or ellerslie you're ok. anything in the city or otherwise should be avoided. since the job is on base, you'll have to take i185 to work and it can be a bbastard but what you expect for the city of its size.  

as far as things to do, nothing special. there is a new whitewater park but once you've been there it is what it is. night life downtown is fair as well as the north side of town at the primary shopping areas. dont do anything on victory drive by the base...that area is the ghetto and that's where the crime is. kinda depends on what interests you to say if it offers enough stuff that you would like.

the climate is ok. winters are good and rarely snow, occasional ice storm. otherwise just chilly. summers can be a b1tch if the humidity is bad, but this year was not too bad. if you're used to the humidity it's not too bad, but it is irritating when you're sweating at 8am no matter how used to it you are.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 11/16/14 at 16:15:50

Yeah, that's kind of what I was afraid of.  Being a military base and the size of city Columbus is, I expected the main highway to always be packed.  Killeen/Ft Hood is the same way.  It seems that crime and military towns go hand in hand.   Undecided

I really don't want to live in the Southeast Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina region, but this is a job that I'm extremely well qualified for.  If I can't get any of the other positions I'm aiming for, I need to keep m mind open to this area.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 11/16/14 at 18:19:51

Go to Boeing in South Carolina and apply for a Quality position in the 787 program. Boeing is really big on hiring ex-military folk.
At worse you could  be a mechanic in the build, but you could just use that to get your foot in the door....  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #6 - 11/16/14 at 19:33:47

The only opening Boeing has that I'm qualified for is an assembler, and they don't offer relocation assistance to move from TX to PA.  The rest are all quality or engineering jobs that require degrees that I don't have.  Undecided

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #7 - 11/16/14 at 22:11:11

There are a number of helicopter aviation companies that serve the
offshore oil and gas rigs. You might find an interesting job opening
in a pleasant location in the Gulf area or in Florida.
Google "oil company helicopter jobs".

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 11/17/14 at 05:26:50

HondaLavis wrote on 11/16/14 at 16:15:50:
Yeah, that's kind of what I was afraid of.  Being a military base and the size of city Columbus is, I expected the main highway to always be packed.  Killeen/Ft Hood is the same way.  It seems that crime and military towns go hand in hand.   Undecided

I really don't want to live in the Southeast Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina region, but this is a job that I'm extremely well qualified for.  If I can't get any of the other positions I'm aiming for, I need to keep m mind open to this area.

If it's the only opportunity and you know what you need to know you could make Columbus work. You'd just get some surprises if you went at it blind and moved into the wrong area unknowingly.  

If anything else pans out in that area and I can be of any further advice let me know.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #9 - 11/17/14 at 16:55:37

I thought all that maintenance moved down to Central America...are you familiar with Moog in Southern California? Hexcel is in Washington and has other locations around the country/world. They make aircraft and NASA parts on the CNC machines. Good luck!!!

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/17/14 at 17:16:53

http://www.indeed.com/q-Helicopter-Mechanic-jobs.html

does that help? I saw some postings there for the places you mentioned

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 11/18/14 at 01:09:22

The Dakotas, guys who have GEDs are making75,000driving transport trucks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:19:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Looking for a new job:  Georgia?  Pennsylvania?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.