Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
WOOT Prez Obama does something RIGHT! (Read 284 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: WOOT Prez Obama does something RIGHT!
Reply #30 - 11/12/14 at 10:38:01

Next: basically costwise... US ISP is a monopoly, and Comcast admits this, when convenient. So saying it will become a monopoly... silly statement.

Not a silly statement. My objection is turning it into a government regulated utility.

Current choices are:
ISP control the content and speed ( and price)
Governement resticts control of content and speed

The way you worded your choices makes for a clear answer. The first one of course.

I would rather have private corporates responding to consumer demands in charge of almost anything rather than government. Few exceptions of course, but they are few.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 11/12/14 at 10:39:58

The existence of corporations do not insure low prices.. thats competition. which US ISP's DO not have.

and are you saying government regulation of this industry as a utility will add competition?  Now that's a silly statement...

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 11/12/14 at 10:41:48

Now explain can you back up the stements about stuff going up and down?

Relative prices always come down for most goods and services over time in a free market.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 11/12/14 at 10:51:36

Relative prices always come down for most goods and services over time in a free market.

I regretted writing that as soon as I hit the enter button because there's a lot more to that statement involving supply curves, demand curves etc...   But generally speaking, real prices for a product come down as technology improves performance. Example: when the first wave of adjustable golf drivers came out, the prices were $700. Today, you can get one better than any driver that was in that first wave for $300. Consumers wanted this product but not enough at that cost so mfg had to adjust. Flat screen TV sets, cell phones, laptops, tablets etc.. have all done the same. I pay more for my phone service today than I did 20 years ago, but I have more features today, so much so, what I do today from a communication point of view bears little resemblance to what I did back then when I had a land line and paid for each long distance call.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #34 - 11/12/14 at 11:47:04

WebsterMark wrote on 11/12/14 at 10:51:36:

I regretted writing that as soon as I hit the enter button because there's a lot more to that statement involving supply curves, demand curves etc...   But generally speaking, real prices for a product come down as technology improves performance. Example: when the first wave of adjustable golf drivers came out, the prices were $700. Today, you can get one better than any driver that was in that first wave for $300. Consumers wanted this product but not enough at that cost so mfg had to adjust. Flat screen TV sets, cell phones, laptops, tablets etc.. have all done the same. I pay more for my phone service today than I did 20 years ago, but I have more features today, so much so, what I do today from a communication point of view bears little resemblance to what I did back then when I had a land line and paid for each long distance call.

Actually I agree with you 100% .. except the US ISP is not an example of a free market. There is little to no competition.

Personally: the first cable company to come to my area started in 1979 or 1980, I know I was in high school. Theu offered a special, free install if you subbed while lines were being run, So I did.. yes, I in high school paid for cable to our house.  It was about $18. Here we are in 2014 and I pay over $70 per month. What failed? Simple: in this town there are two options, AT&T and Comcast. But due to CO's AT&T has many issues with real high speed internet. So really there is only one. But either way... wheres my price drop?
PS; no TV did not get 3 times better.. no matter how many food channels, garden channels, travel channels, sports channels, weather channels, news channels they add.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #35 - 11/12/14 at 11:52:05

WebsterMark wrote on 11/12/14 at 10:39:58:
The existence of corporations do not insure low prices.. thats competition. which US ISP's DO not have.

and are you saying government regulation of this industry as a utility will add competition?  Now that's a silly statement...

No of course not. I am saying there is no competition now, and ONE fix would be to have it declared title II, so that reality  and policy would meet and protections could be put in place.
I would prefer not to have title II, and have courts go back to saying that the FCC can tell ISP theys cant double dip and control content and speeds.  But according to the courts we cant do that if the service is just a privately owned non-utility.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 11/12/14 at 12:27:34

real world policy vs the un-existent free market alternative

real world policy, is sloppy, may not get great results but may protect against abuses of the system.

un-existent free market alternative - would require undoing 80+years of government granted "natural" monopolies

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #37 - 11/12/14 at 12:29:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/12/14 at 05:52:48:
You may not LIKE the source, but until you can SHOW me where the content is Factually Incorrect, This IS what is being planned. And, based on the history of the actions From DC, not just now, but in the recent decades, This IS what they DO. And, he is a lame duck, and, the mid terms are over, so, he is gonna DO what collectivist, global elite operatives DO. Nakedly, in public, unashamedly, AND still garnering the support of the same idiots who believed Obamacare was a good deal.
Some people Just wont learn.

http://www.infowars.com/obama-wants-to-now-fully-regulate-the-internet-as-a-p...

Paragraph2; Instead of me proving this false.. IW needs to prove anything in this is true. its not. Obama stated that he was for net neutrality and that if title II was neede to do so he would support that.  IW cannot prove that Obama mandated anything they wrote in the paragraph.

Paragraph 3: Obama did not say he would use EO, not even hint at it. Obama is severly limited in controlling Wheeler ( Chair FCC). Of course bill was drafted, but no EO was drafted either.

Paragraph 4: "there are no gatekeepers... there are no toll roads" Incorrect. Comcast and other ISP have FORCED netflick to PAY them to allow their content. Thus in a very real sense ISP are gatekeepers and do charge a toll. What they want now is the abilty to determine speeds based on packet data. So yes they want to be gatekeepers, that is what has been deadlocked all this time.

Paragraph 5: Really "good sources state" reveal the sources or get lost.  Oh as to:" Obama has already passe a law that if your site..." sorry that was BUSH. Mill Digital Copyrights act.. I worked in a library at the time, so yeah... We still have to teach students and faculty about that.  It also let Disney keep rights to Mickey Mouse even though time is way over due.

Paragraph 6: OMG so silly... net neutral means that packets move with out regard to content or address.  how fricking twisted to now say neutral means to packet sniff.

Paragraph 7: Really??  "The public at large are totally ignorant of how law is made. It is not crafted by Congress but politicians."  OK .. right there.. this is why you dont quote IW. So congress doesn't craft laws?  However, they are correct in that non-elected agenies then do go on to make "law" via regulations.

I could go on but lunch is loong over. This piece is not a good place on which to base judgement for net neutrality.
I suggest you lok at this vid and see if we cant find some common ground. To be honest the vid is from July and I cant recall if he is for or against Title II or if he even speaks to it. Remember Net Neutral and Title II are NOT the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z_nBhfpmk4

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 11/12/14 at 12:30:37

WebsterMark wrote on 11/12/14 at 10:38:01:
Next: basically costwise... US ISP is a monopoly, and Comcast admits this, when convenient. So saying it will become a monopoly... silly statement.

Not a silly statement. My objection is turning it into a government regulated utility.

Current choices are:
ISP control the content and speed ( and price)
Governement resticts control of content and speed

The way you worded your choices makes for a clear answer. The first one of course.

I would rather have private corporates responding to consumer demands in charge of almost anything rather than government. Few exceptions of course, but they are few.

as long as the services and prices are equitable then yeah, of course, but how do you trust a corporation, who's only motive and only master is profit to do that.  

its like would you rather have a benevolent dictator (the monopoly) or a regulated representative governement

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #39 - 11/12/14 at 12:34:44

Just because its o dern funny.. IW saying congress does not makes laws, politicians do....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 11/12/14 at 12:54:41

PS; no TV did not get 3 times better.. no matter how many food channels, garden channels, travel channels, sports channels, weather channels, news channels they add.

That's your opinion things did not get '3 times better'. Given the market responded to the demand for those channels, I would say yes, things did get better and the real price did in fact go down.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 11/12/14 at 13:07:27

as long as the services and prices are equitable then yeah, of course, but how do you trust a corporation, who's only motive and only master is profit to do that.  

its like would you rather have a benevolent dictator (the monopoly) or a regulated representative governement

Like I said, I trust the profit motive of a corporation far more than a government agency with appointed decision makers delirious with power. Corporations innovate based upon my needs, governments innovate based upon what they think my needs are.

Greedy corporation gave us the motorcycle we ride, the computers we type on and the internet services that carry it. I have no idea, but I'm sure you are correct when you say the current situation is not completely a free market as it is in my industry for example. All in all, i'll side with the greedy corporation.

Besides, I'm a national account manager for a corporation and I know what we do. We respond to market demands for higher quality products that deliver value. We have to convince our customers to buy our products rather than our competitors products. The only way we can survive long term is to establish a reputation as the company to turn to when a problem arises. We beat our competition, we demoralize them, as Mike Tyson says, we want to eat their children! Our customers benefit from the greed of our owner whose greed is not necessary entirely for money but equally to reign number one in our industry. And in turn, almost everyone on this forum, has benefited from my companies products, but you would never know it.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 11/12/14 at 13:41:23

Quote:

this is an excellent video that explains a lot of the complexities of this situation.  

it does not champion government, it blames government in much the same way that Web and JOG do, as I've been saying, these are government created monopolies.  

this video goes into the HISTORY, the 80+ year history of this mess we are now in and explains it well, the jokes are delivered very dryly though and don't always come through well.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #43 - 11/12/14 at 17:46:38

You might be right,guys. I just have no faith in the goobs touching Anything and not making it wurser... track record and all that...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #44 - 11/13/14 at 09:25:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/12/14 at 17:46:38:
You might be right,guys. I just have no faith in the goobs touching Anything and not making it wurser... track record and all that...

Agreed... internet users in the US are in a bad state and ISP's have DC under thier thumb, or would not have this mess. The ONLY reason both DC and the ISP's have not been able to strong arm consumers anymore than they do is because there is whole net community that KNOWS want the real story is ( not that we are more enpowered by it). Unlike say the railroads for the 1800's or automobiles of the 1900's, the internet supports its own "intelligence" .. a community of hobbists and researchers that although they have to give control over to corps and governement.. they non-the-less know how the thing works or should work.

Again, I am not saying that government or corps are the good guys, instead they are in kahoots, with Joe Q Public the looser ( or at least paying for it).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 19:20:09

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › WOOT Prez Obama does something RIGHT!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.