Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
WOOT Prez Obama does something RIGHT! (Read 284 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: WOOT Prez Obama does something RIGHT!
Reply #15 - 11/11/14 at 11:05:29

LostArtist wrote on 11/11/14 at 10:37:34:
Paraquat wrote on 11/11/14 at 09:18:40:
The problem is Netflix costs 7 dollars.
Comcast's basic package costs me 43 dollars a month. 65 if I bundle with internet.
So 43+7 = 50
Comcast is upset they only get 43 when they could be getting 65.
Although, half of something is more than all of nothing so they want a cut from Netflix.

--Steve

it's worse than that. Comcast offers video on demand, for a fee, usually 2-5 bucks a movie, they want you to buy that instead of NetFlix, which is $8 for unlimited streaming.  and that's just the tip of the iceberg at the moment, oh, and it's not just Comcast, Verizon and AT&T also offer video on demand services.

This is the exact issue the big ISP's were shooting for. Complete and utter domination of what you could stream.  A judge through out stopping them from doing this by saying they were not a utility... and the ISP's were gonna run with it. Now with Obama, saying whoa... the ISP's are scared.  

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #16 - 11/11/14 at 11:06:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/10/14 at 16:44:23:
Ayyyup.. Fo Sho,, You get the goobs in it and youre GONNA get screwed to a wall.. Can you name the last time they did something that went in our favor? I can,, They broke up A.T & T. And that was a Looong time ago..

This is gonna have people running at dial up speeds for High Speed costs of today,, Guaranteed, this is a step Bakkerds for the People,,

I want you to explain this....

PS;; we already have the slowest for the most...

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #17 - 11/11/14 at 11:17:02

WebsterMark wrote on 11/11/14 at 08:33:01:
As soon as the government gets involved, they will turn into monopolies.
I don't see ISP's as being monopolies currently.

If the issue really involves the question of whether or not Netflix or Amazon or YouTube for example can pay more to run faster, then I really don't have a problem with that.

Web heres the problem:

Cable TV is dying, and the new delivery mode is internet. Comcast/Timewarner DO have a monopoly effectievly, and EVEN use that as an excuse for letting them merge  (another issue).  What ISP's want is to be able to decide what traffice goes at what speed. However.. and lets use TEd Cruz here... the would only last for a short time. Eventually Slow means DEAD.. I mean zero traffic. So the ISP gets to determine what traffic gets through and what does not.
Everyone wants to use Netflicks.. but hey lets use THIS WEBSITE.
So Comcast decide they want to get into Forum hosting, They will charge $50000 per month for a forum just like this one. Now your free to NOT use their hosting, but your traffic will be limited to 3 posts per day, or you can pay for "high speed" for $60000. Dont you love corps?

Oh wait you say.. fine I will jump to another ISP.. except those two own 95% of the US market... So for 95% of us we dont get to choose.

Comcasts retort.. oh we wouldnt do that, customers would leave.. REALLY?? and go where.. Dish? That is who Comcast says are thier competition... We cant leave.. there is no other high speed network.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 11/11/14 at 12:19:14

Admittedly, I need to look into this closer, but I still don't see the need for regulation. Your example of Comcast charging $50,000 is just not realistic. The corporation cannot kill off consumer demand. If they do, they're out of business. There are plenty of examples.

With the exception of taxes and property values, prices generally become lower over time  or the value of the product increases. It's either one or the other.

And yes I do love corporations because corporations respond to consumer demand.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 11/11/14 at 12:46:09

WebsterMark wrote on 11/11/14 at 12:19:14:
Admittedly, I need to look into this closer, but I still don't see the need for regulation. Your example of Comcast charging $50,000 is just not realistic. The corporation cannot kill off consumer demand. If they do, they're out of business. There are plenty of examples.

With the exception of taxes and property values, prices generally become lower over time  or the value of the product increases. It's either one or the other.

not when consumers can't demand anything, consumers have no leverage here.  

now, this does depend on how you look at the Internet, if you see it as just another fun thing you have in your life that you can do without, then this probably isn't as big of a deal for you,

but if you see the Internet as a workplace tool, a way to find jobs, a way to communicate with your loved ones, a way to innovate and improve your life, a way to network professionally, a way to market, etc. . .  then this is more of an issue, it's actually a move to keep things more or less how they are, you want more speed, you pay for it and you get it, not less, they shouldn't get to use your paid service for their negotiating tactic.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 11/11/14 at 20:43:44

If the internet gets classified as a utility as Hopey-change wants, we're f 'd. It will be like Obamacare. The 'top' will get knocked down to the bottom rather than the bottom getting pulled to the top. I understand now what Cruz meant now. Speeds will slow down, service will suck, the internet will function like every other monopoly. Don't do it.

Consumers are not experiencing problems now and why would they in the future? As long as there is a demand for high speed, it will be available as long as government does not try to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 11/11/14 at 23:01:33

WebsterMark wrote on 11/11/14 at 20:43:44:
If the internet gets classified as a utility as Hopey-change wants, we're f 'd. It will be like Obamacare. The 'top' will get knocked down to the bottom rather than the bottom getting pulled to the top. I understand now what Cruz meant now. Speeds will slow down, service will suck, the internet will function like every other monopoly. Don't do it.

Consumers are not experiencing problems now and why would they in the future? As long as there is a demand for high speed, it will be available as long as government does not try to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Consumers are experiencing problems now. I have ONE option for internet. It's not the best, and it's NOT cheap. but there is no competition to drive the price down. Comcast HAS abused their customers in the past, to make NetFlix pay more, not to make Comcast's customer's pay more, but to make NetFlix the company pay more. Service ALREADY sucks.

oh and Ted Cruz has received $47,000 from ISPs according to http://gizmodo.com/how-much-money-big-cable-gave-the-politicians-who-overs-16...  now there are democrats who have received more money from ISPs as well, so this IS NOT a partisan issue

oh, and Net Neutrality is what we have NOW. so yeah, this move by the Obama may not be the most ideal solution, I get that, but if you want your internet service to be like your cable service, where the service sucks and you are being nickle and dimed for everything, then keep on supporting "free market" people like Ted Cruz who is PAID to take the corporations side on this.

I agree, more government regulation isn't the ideal way to solve this problem, but allowing monopolistic companies with a long HISTORY of abusing their customers run roughshod over consumers isn't a good option either.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 11/11/14 at 23:42:56

here's the deal, we both have the same fears, an unusable internet, but you fear government's over-regulation and I fear corporate abuse.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 11/12/14 at 04:30:03

And HOW OLd is the net? Is it showing ANY signs of being so terrible?

You want Perfect? Youre about to get the LEAST perfect you can imagine,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 11/12/14 at 05:19:24

LostArtist wrote on 11/11/14 at 23:42:56:
here's the deal, we both have the same fears, an unusable internet, but you fear government's over-regulation and I fear corporate abuse.

Correct. But I still say I see no problem now. My company's hq is in Sweden, our us hq in nj, I'm in St. Louis. My customers are all over the us. I use internet with no problems now 10 hours a day contacting these people continually.

And this implication Cruz supports this because of $47k is nonsense. They gave Cruz money BECAUSE he supports less regulation. He's probably supported less governmental regulation since the 3rd grade for crying out loud.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 11/12/14 at 05:36:45

LostArtist wrote on 11/11/14 at 23:42:56:

AT&T was a monopoly, the goobs busted them up years ago,, Until then YOU couldnt even own a phone, you leased it,,

Market pressures drive corporations, they dont just make Laws,, they develop policies.policies that drive the bottom line, THEY Can Go Broke if the Customer doesnt like the way theyre being treated..

Put the goobs in charge..

Now who goes broke?
Where do the people go to say they dont like a policy?
Yea,, look how thats goin..

AND,,

Go read the Constitution,,

What is the JOB of the government?

Point to the part where its their JOB to run anything but the military..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 11/12/14 at 05:52:48

You may not LIKE the source, but until you can SHOW me where the content is Factually Incorrect, This IS what is being planned. And, based on the history of the actions From DC, not just now, but in the recent decades, This IS what they DO. And, he is a lame duck, and, the mid terms are over, so, he is gonna DO what collectivist, global elite operatives DO. Nakedly, in public, unashamedly, AND still garnering the support of the same idiots who believed Obamacare was a good deal.
Some people Just wont learn.

http://www.infowars.com/obama-wants-to-now-fully-regulate-the-internet-as-a-p...

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #27 - 11/12/14 at 08:08:49

WebsterMark wrote on 11/11/14 at 20:43:44:

Web .. I am sorry but again this is just spinmeister non-sense. Tying Obamacare to Title II is like comparing guns and flowers.
Next: basically costwise... US ISP is a monopoly, and Comcast admits this, when convenient. So saying it will become a monopoly... silly statement.
Lastly: the ONLY reason Title II is being looked at is because Verizon sued so that they could double dip profits by charging both parties. The Judge said IF the FCC called ISP's a Title II then the ISP's could not do this, but as is they can... its all private.  So blame Verizon, not Obama.
Now explain can you back up the stements about stuff going up and down? Forget the ISP rhetoric... in your words how would you fix the situation.
Current choices are:
ISP control the content and speed ( and price)
Governement resticts control of content and speed

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #28 - 11/12/14 at 08:21:32

WebsterMark wrote on 11/11/14 at 12:19:14:

Ok so busted I used outrageous prices.  What a more accurrate picture?

ComCast has UltraViolet as its streaming service.. it is a DIRECT competitor to NetFlix. UltraViolet is a function of RIAA. Prices are per movie and are about $6 - $10 EACH...  Netflix is a service to stream a movie for About $8 per month. There you go.

What is HAPPENING right now: Comcast is routing Netflix streams such that they get bottled up in the net. UltraViolet streams never have that issue as they get routed so that are delivered timely. Throttling? not really, Comcast say they don't throttle, but they cant say they don't give competitors as much grief ( and therefore the competitors consumers) as possible. AND to top if off they make Netflix pay extra!

No matter what a corporation is REQUIRED BY LAW to look out for shareholders values. That is above all else.. BY LAW.  Comcast has an effective monopoly, therefore they can charge ANY amount with near impunity and have for years.
As noted in one article, Comcast cable subscriptions went down for qtr 2 2014, but profits when up.. how? Comcast raised internet subscription rates to shore up cable losses. The existence of corporations do not insure low prices.. thats competition. which US ISP's DO not have.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #29 - 11/12/14 at 08:31:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/12/14 at 05:52:48:
You may not LIKE the source, but until you can SHOW me where the content is Factually Incorrect, This IS what is being planned. And, based on the history of the actions From DC, not just now, but in the recent decades, This IS what they DO. And, he is a lame duck, and, the mid terms are over, so, he is gonna DO what collectivist, global elite operatives DO. Nakedly, in public, unashamedly, AND still garnering the support of the same idiots who believed Obamacare was a good deal.
Some people Just wont learn.

http://www.infowars.com/obama-wants-to-now-fully-regulate-the-internet-as-a-p...

Jog... I will try and look at this at lunch. And have my retort. As I said Obama waited 6 years to say something ... I have zero illusions that his timing isn't political. I am not suddenly his biggest fan. I am for net neutrality... which actually is much more than just Title II.  

In fact.. if ALL I considered was money.. I would think that the Comcast has PAID for this whole thing.. both sides.. just so they can get some conclusion.. its been dragging for 10 years. Even if Comcast loses.. its becomes something they can fight. As it is .. its just not moving.  As always .. follow the money.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:08:18

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › WOOT Prez Obama does something RIGHT!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.