Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S40 Blinker Swap and Heated Grip Questions (Read 90 times)
Seanmnnell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

S40 Blinker Swap and Heated Grip Questions
11/10/14 at 06:48:09

Hello,

I've got a 2007 S40 with 15,000 miles (7,800 from me over the last 1 1/2 years) (3rd owner).  

Recently replaced battery with this : http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/40578-DURAGM--15L--US-Duracell-Ultra-AGM...

- seemed to be the best bang for the buck without having to do any mods.  I'm wondering, would it give me enough juice to run heated grips through the winter without significantly effecting battery life?  I can't keep bike parked close enough to run a battery tender.

Also, I got some 2-wire LS650 blinkers for cheap off e-bay and I think they're from an older model pre-s40.  The chrome finish is a littled dull but they were like 10 bucks.  my right blinker is cracked where the previous owner laid it down and I haven't gotten around to fixing it (duct tape looks close enough to chrome, right?)  Am I going to run into wiring issues when I swap my stock blinkers out for these aftermarket older blinkers?

Thanks in advance for any help.  I've been visiting and enjoying this forum since I got the bike.  Have done a few of the essential mods like using rubber stoppers to raise seat, fuel mixture mod, and there was great advice for switching out the brakes.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: S40 Blinker Swap and Heated Grip Questions
Reply #1 - 11/10/14 at 08:37:16

Rear blinkers are 2-wire... fronts are 3...
You can use 2-wire on the front but you lose the running lights...

Heated grips will probably drain your battery eventually...
They do make battery operated heated gloves, or you could use disposable or reusable heat packs in your gloves...

Without the front running lights, and using low beam headlight,... you might have 20 watts or so to play with...
Heated grips can pull from 10 watts up to about 40... some have adjustable settings...
I doubt you feel much warmth from 10 watts... Undecided...

It's an iffy proposition on this bike... it just ain't made for electric accessories...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Seanmnnell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/10/14 at 08:48:40

K, got the heated grips free in a craigslist trade so figured I'd at least explore the idea.  

As for blinkers, I'm just replacing the rear blinkers.  So, when I get those side rails off and remove the old blinkers, I'll pretty much just be plugging the new one's in? Any words of caution?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/10/14 at 09:44:49

I believe the grip warmers will be a case of how you use your savage.
If you don't turn them on till you're riding and you go for at least a half hour, your battery should be fully charged.
but if you turn them on ahead of time or you ride only for 15 minutes, you'll be push starting it.

I believe the new lights have different connectors then the old.

WWW   IP Logged
Seanmnnell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/10/14 at 13:25:14

Assuming the connectors will be different, any advice on how to go about dealing with that difference during installation? Should I cut off connectors and join them with a wire nut and/or some electrical tape?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/10/14 at 13:27:58

Seanmnnell wrote on 11/10/14 at 13:25:14:
Assuming the connectors will be different, any advice on how to go about dealing with that difference during installation? Should I cut off connectors and join them with a wire nut and/or some electrical tape?

Well....I would most likely cut the newer style connectors from the lights you are taking off, and solder those connectors to the wires of the replacement turn signals.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 11/25/14 at 15:58:59

verslagen1 wrote on 11/10/14 at 09:44:49:
I believe the grip warmers will be a case of how you use your savage.
If you don't turn them on till you're riding and you go for at least a half hour, your battery should be fully charged.
but if you turn them on ahead of time or you ride only for 15 minutes, you'll be push starting it.

I believe the new lights have different connectors then the old.

I thought the S40 wouldn't push start, as it needs sufficient juice in the battery or the cdi won't throw a spark? am I misinformed? I know the Rebel will, quite easily due to it's self energizing ignition system,, and this was a point I worried over a bit when trading, the possibility that if my battery went bad, push starting would not be an option
Or maybe that was the old Virago I was looking at

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 11/25/14 at 16:15:22

Art Webb wrote on 11/25/14 at 15:58:59:
I thought the S40 wouldn't push start, as it needs sufficient juice in the battery or the cdi won't throw a spark? am I misinformed? I know the Rebel will, quite easily due to it's self energizing ignition system,, and this was a point I worried over a bit when trading, the possibility that if my battery went bad, push starting would not be an option
Or maybe that was the old Virago I was looking at

If you have 10v in the battery it will start, you just can't use the starter to do it.
However, most people have a problem getting the engine to spin.  Most times the rear wheel will just lock up.  There are techniques to getting it to spin.  see the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 11/25/14 at 18:55:10

Well color me dumb lol
thanks, Versy, I been off forum too long

IP Logged
Pages: 1