Passenger comfort (Read 120 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Passenger comfort
11/09/14 at 15:23:11

OK, so I put a HD Sportster seat on a while ago, and while it was a mild improvement over stock, the passenger aka WIFE comfort level still leaves a lot to be desired. Any ride over about 30 minutes and she says her left leg starts to go numb.  Admittedly, the vibrations back there are pretty bad...   Undecided  Does anybody hear have any passenger experience with products like saddleman gel pads or the airhawk cushion?  I know a few of you have them for driver's seats.  Her biggest complaint is the vibration, so I'm looking for something to help dampen that.  I know that a lot of it comes down to the kind of bike it is, but I'm hoping something can help out a bit. I don't want her to give up riding until I get a bigger bike.  Sad

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Passenger comfort
Reply #1 - 11/09/14 at 15:46:54

You might try a Butty Buddy (No...not that kind).

This kind:
http://www.buttybuddy.com/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 11/09/14 at 16:05:59

I'm sure my Airhawk helps me a little, and I've done a few long rides. I can't speak for the passenger Airhawk. There were posts here yesterday about a German seat, which is made in two styles to suit the S40. The second style, which the original poster didn't show, might be more suitable for a pillion as it had 5cms of padding as opposed to the three for the "cool" looking seat, it was 349 Euros. The German seat is called a Hardrider and the info is about seven posts down in RSD. Google Hardrider seat LS650.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/09/14 at 16:34:35

well if you put one of these on and expect her to be comfortable...

Shame on you.

Look for one with a big rear seat.

WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 11/09/14 at 18:25:27

Yes, Verslagen, that's what I isntalled:

My goal was for her to be more comfortable than she was on the stock pillion.  In that aspect I succeeded!  However...  She has enough butt space, it's really just the vibrations.  I suppose more cushion would make a difference.

Maybe I'll check out my local small motorcycle shop, rummage through all of his salvaged seats.  If I find something close enough to fitting, I might just take on a little experiment.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 11/09/14 at 20:22:00

here is a picture of a two piece HD Softail seat fitter to a savage , since the picture I've added the matching backrest .  Smiley

Summer_2012__S40_003.JPG

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 11/09/14 at 23:17:26

Have you tried throwing a thick sheepskin on there?I've been using one on longer rides for years. Turns a butt crucifying Italian PITA seat into an all day proposition. It doesn'tneed tying down, just sit on it.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 11/10/14 at 10:46:38

MMRanch wrote on 11/09/14 at 20:22:00:
here is a picture of a two piece HD Softail seat fitter to a savage , since the picture I've added the matching backrest .  Smiley

I didn't ever realize that you had a 2 piece seat on your bike in all the pics you've posted. I would like to know any additional details about what you used and just how difficult it was. The Softail seats are quite a bit wider in the passenger section than the Sportsters.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 11/10/14 at 21:29:11

Well

That original Savage seat lasted one 150 mile trip , by time I got home I was desperate for a replacement.
I was browsing Ebay and found a seat listed as "Harley seat"  very poor description , no idea as to what it came off , but the starting bid and shipping was less than $20.oo .  Smiley  
When I got the seat it had a long nose on the front like I've seen on Road Glides  and that may be what it came off ????  Huh  But the pattern is like the Softail's have ???    Any way I pealed the seat cover back and cut off the nose to fit the Savage , while the cover was loose I mounted some mounting hardware to fit the Savage mounts , then tucked and stapled the cover back to the plastic pan.   The rear seat has the "Tab" like the sportster seat does .
Between the nice wide seat and the floorboards , I'm good for 500 mile a day on the Interstate or 8 hrs a day befor I get off walking funny.  Grin

Wish I could tell ya more , but that the total of it .  Undecided
That nose piece I cut off must have been at least 8" long ... and it has leather flaps on both sides with lacing at the bottom of the flap ...
The nose was like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-FLT-1981-Black-Motorcycle-Dua...
 Hope that helps ?   Huh

Summer_2012_067.JPG

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 11/12/14 at 03:41:17

I have a road glide seat up on a shelf in my garage I believe.... I had purchased the feather soft ones when I bought my road glide...

I'll get it down and hold it up on the wife's savage (mine has a big back trunk and a single seat).

Might give you an idea what it looked like....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 11/12/14 at 07:20:29

Dude,, run 'er on down the road,, Ohh, say,, 20, 25 minutes,, pull over,, walk around,, put her on Bakkerds and run on down the road a while,, Its really simple once ya think about it a minute,,

Im sure that was a lot of help,, and YES,, youre welcome..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:15:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Passenger comfort

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.