Send Topic Print
dent removal (Read 139 times)
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
dent removal
11/09/14 at 12:46:08

Hey gang,
In your opinions, what would be the better approach to removing this dent? I've already taken the paint off of it. I was considering either the slow epoxy puller thing or trying the hair dryer/ compressed air trick. It's a soft dent, only about .4" deep, no creases, about 2.5 x 2" across.

Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: dent removal
Reply #1 - 11/09/14 at 13:17:08

Be real careful with compressed air, you don't want to be wearing that tank.  My company makes high pressure ducting and we test them with high pressure air under water.  When they let go, they open up like a flower and then there's no water in the tank.  That flower is like a ninja star that'll tear you in 2.

I've been thinking of pulling dents with vacuum.
Take an aluminum plate large enough to cover the dent and then some.
Make up some plaster, and use a good tank as a form.
cover it with saran wrap, put a dollop of plaster on the plate and apply it to the good tank.  let it set up.
drill a hole thru the center of the plate so you can attach whatever vacuum source you have.
put the plate on the dented tank, you may have to seal the edges and apply the vacuum.
That's only 15 psi, but you won't blow up anything doing that.

WWW   IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #2 - 11/09/14 at 13:22:16

The compressed air is the cans of air you flip over to cool the metal quickly, making the metal contract and pop the dent out. Youtube it, it seems to work. I'm not looking for perfect here, just out more then I can body filler over a smaller area. Smiley
Jeff

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/09/14 at 13:32:16

Jeff71 wrote on 11/09/14 at 13:22:16:
The compressed air is the cans of air you flip over to cool the metal quickly, making the metal contract and pop the dent out. Youtube it, it seems to work. I'm not looking for perfect here, just out more then I can body filler over a smaller area. Smiley
Jeff

Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/10/14 at 03:54:53

That dent may not have any creases.....but it is a significant dent and will not pull out with compressed air, dry ice, a hair dryer.  The metal is deformed opposite the curve it is supposed to have.....and only some extreme measures will get it to go back to where it once was.

You will only be able to remove that dent with the weld on studs and heating it with a torch and then using a puller - or letting the RYCA folks bang it out when they have the bottom of the tank cut off.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eyetzr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario. Canada
Reply #5 - 11/10/14 at 04:07:37

I would not heat the tank & use a stud puller. The dent was made cold &  is repaired cold. If you go the stud method, you put a bunch on the tank dent & pull on each one while tapping the high spot with a flat body hammer. I was going to suggest trying the paintless dent repair guys, but you have removed the paint to repair. Do not fill with compressed air!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/10/14 at 08:41:43

Eyetzer looks to have some experience. I agree. The tool is available at local rental outlets. Last in, first out. Go to the lowest point, weld a stud in, slip the slide hammer on and GENTLY tap, tap, tap, outWatch the metal, SEE where its moving, Hold a steady Pull on the slide hammer and gently TapTapTap around the perimeter. There IS a high spot all the way around that dent, Bet on it,, If you do it carefully and gently enough, it might not even be stretched.. Use Sharp 36 or 40 grit grinding disks to peel paint. Keep good paper on, whatever youre going. Its expensive, but saves time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eyetzr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario. Canada
Reply #7 - 11/10/14 at 09:58:09

Yes, thanks. 30+ years pounding dents, grinding rust. Happy to share the knowledge & pick up some along the way.  Smiley

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #8 - 11/18/14 at 17:26:28

Worked on it  today. Tried the Harbor Freight puller. It actually works! Smiley It wasn't huge but I did get the lower part of the dent to start pulling out. Pulled from different areas, like crazy gentle and tapped the high spots with my metalworking flat hammer. It just slowly rolled out a bit.
Jeff

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #9 - 11/30/14 at 06:19:59

Could you post a picture with the dent pulled?

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #10 - 11/30/14 at 22:16:01

I can but I did take a shot and in a picture it doesn't look different. It rolled out the bottom a nice bit. I'll play with lighting and see if I can get a clearer shot.
Jeff

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:26:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dent removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.