Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
muffler dent removal help (Read 60 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
muffler dent removal help
11/08/14 at 10:44:58

since this is for my three wheeler and not S40, I am posting this here for advice from those that may have some guidance.  

It's not critical and will ride like it is, but what would be the recommended way to pull this dent if I wanted to try? heat it with a propane torch from the outside an then try to use a rod and tap it out from the inside (sticking a rod in the end of the muffler)? I don't want to poke a hole in the muffler and as I noted it'll be fine if I never do anything, just trying to straighten it out if there's an easy, non-risky way to do it.

Thanks!

IMG-20141108-02395.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: muffler dent removal help
Reply #1 - 11/08/14 at 10:45:57

photo 2

IMG-20141108-02392.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 11/08/14 at 12:12:12

Got a torch?  fasten the bracket to something, heat the area cherry red, slowly pull the muffler away from the bracket.
Clamp the bracket in a vise, heat, pull slowly, heat, pull slowly....
Oh, and try not to get the bracket to hot... lol.. you don't want to stretch it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 11/08/14 at 20:53:51

thanks old rider. kinda one of the ideas i was thinking so good to hear there's at least two of us that think it'll work.  Grin. I'll work on it this week and let you know how it turns out.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 11/10/14 at 14:50:05

Remember, UN bending needs to happen slowly. Big Smacks arent the snswer, and yes, that bracket is what bent it IN, and that is what will bring it out, Id try to work it cold before I used any heat. You need a friend and a vise and like a 1X3 piece of wood to lay on the metal, work from the outside edges of where its bent, Someone holding the end of the muffler and the already somewhat straightened bracket secured. You will probably need a metal strap to bolt to, to get room between the muffler and vise. If it will replace for under $50.00, it looks old now, you mite be ahead to slap one on and call it good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 11/10/14 at 20:54:27

thanks, jog. I'm definitely using this one. I'll unbend what i can and deal with it. for what i am wanting out of it, it's not worth sourcing another one.

gotta gat this one back on 3 wheels asap. bought a 95 polaris 300 project today and i need to get to work on it soon.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:24:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › muffler dent removal help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.