Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Oilfield Dodge" Promotional Film 1920s (Read 101 times)
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
"Oilfield Dodge" Promotional Film 1920s
11/07/14 at 21:20:13

Performs better than some modern off roaders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq2jY1trxqg

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: "Oilfield Dodge" Promotional Film 1920s
Reply #1 - 11/07/14 at 22:52:44

Four cylinder flat head, 12volt electrics when most US cars used 6. All steel; body when most were steel panel over wood frame. Brakes external contracting bands on the rear wheels only. Three speed floor change. Full floating rear axle, quite a step up from The Model T, Chev 4 or Overland 91.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 11/08/14 at 03:50:52

I love watching the old time film clips, it's amazing the versatility of some older vehicles that were designed to go anywhere horses could in order to appeal to consumers of the time .

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #3 - 11/08/14 at 17:49:51

A  few years ago,  had a Ford  Mod 'A".

In  late December, would take out a gallon of, "HOT", water,
(In the glass, returnable milk bottle),
Slowly pore it over the carb, (to heat the gas)
Couple of cranks, it would fire right up.

Then drove to houses, playing, 'Santa Claus'.
(Leaving it run of course, with a piece of wood behind a tire, when gas was at .30 CENTS  a gallon.)

Those skinny tires, and totally reckless driving by a 15 year old, (had a  'Farm Permit')  resulted in, "Going where No One Else has Gone Before". On the Un Plowed, Snowy roads, on Christmas Eve.

Tall, Skinny, knobby, tires BEATS,  'mean looking', wide flat tires,  ANY TIME, ANY  PLACE.

A, 'few' years later, had a, 'new', Ford 250 4WD PU.   Brother in law, was bragging about his, 'New', Ford, 4WD, Bronco. He, 'laughed' at my, PU.   I said: "Lets  Hook them up".   We did, and I Drug him ALL OVER THE YARD.  

However, a year later I found out, "I Lost", as I had to repaint the entire back of the PU, because of his tires throwing gravel at it.  LOLOLOLOO

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 11/08/14 at 21:21:44

Hellova car!... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 11/08/14 at 21:54:59

For a bit more of this stuff, go to www.geaaonline.org Scoll to old auto movies, then scroll to Over the top, high sierras, in a 1915 Buick.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 11/10/14 at 01:19:01

I remember when I was a kid, most cars had skinny tires, you seldom needed snow tires/chains.

These days cars seem they come right out of a speed oval, tires so fat you would think they were solen off a Porsche...

Remember the VW Beetle with its 30hp flat-four air cooled engine ?
Its tires were so skinny they looked like they were off a motorcycle... yet it seldom bogged down, quite the contrary !

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: "Oilfield Dodge" Promotional Film 19
Reply #7 - 11/12/14 at 08:32:43

Re: Skinny Tires versus wide.

I was in Houston, walking up by the road. They do have a pretty good crown, it IS Houston and rain Needs to go on, off the road.. It started raining and a Nice van came down the road,, no one else, nothing made him swerve,, he was going down a straight stretch, not going what I would call "fast",, maybe 40 ish.. and the rear end just slid down the crown and the driver handled it, ehhh,, poorly, to be kind,, and wound it up in the ditch,,,
WIDE tires,, floating along on top of that water.. Narrower tires, probably wouldna hydroplaned like that..

Okay,, I went and watched the clip.. Thats amazing,,Funny,, when it started up an ad popped up.

Compare Ford F-150..

I laffed.. I like my old Ford,, BUT,, I know it wouldnt have taken that beating and NOT looked like it had been mangled.. That thing rolled, they ran the windows down! To save them,, The top didnt crush in,, It fired up and they drove away.. TRy that on a modern vehicle,, I Quadruple Dawg Dare ya!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 11/12/14 at 17:43:25

Another one on www.geaaonline.org is where they push a 1934 Chrysler Airflow over a small cliff, let it roll several times, then open and shut the doors and drive it away.

IP Logged
projectfj

Alabama
Reply #9 - 11/14/14 at 04:20:03

That thing is awesome. Sometimes I wish I would have kept skinny tires on the old fj, but I was sold on the premise of "beefy tires have more surface area to grip when you're out crawling." I will say last time I was at coal creek in Tennessee riding fourwheels there was a Can Am (800?) with real skinny, knobby tires that was going through the roughest of stuff on the trails. He won 1st place in the mud bog races, completely destroying the competition that had regular, wider tires.

IMG_0390_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/27/14 at 21:54:34

In Eagle lake, right down the road from me, they farm rice, so LOSSA mud
everyone of those farmers has welded dirtbike tires onto their 4 wheelers, looks funny as hell, but they never get stuck

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › "Oilfield Dodge" Promotional Film 1920s

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.