Brake caliper (Read 56 times)
daltmyer920
YaBB Newbies

awesome site! love
the bike

Houston TX
Brake caliper
11/06/14 at 07:17:11

Few questions guys, i was changing brake pads.... Noticed everything was extremely dirty and that one the boots for sliding pin was very grimey melted looking sort of and the piston is covered in crap too. So I figure I'll remove and clean. So questions as followed
1 what are the sliding pins under the boots purpose.
2 to service the piston I'll order new piston o-rings and I have some brake fluid. Would I need to order anything else besides those seals and boots if everything else seems to be In good shape but just filthy? Thanks guys!

image_192.jpg

versy mod,dyna, pod air filter, 152.5main 52.5 pilot. 2001, 18,XXX miles $800 Smiley hopefully purchasing ryca kit after having the bike for a year or so
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Brake caliper
Reply #1 - 11/06/14 at 07:59:06

Since the caliper only has one piston, the caliper needs to center itself as the pads wear.  The caliper slides on the pins to find the point where it is centered and pressure is being applied on both pads equally.

Be careful washing the rubber parts, do not use anything like mineral spirits as it can swell the rubber parts.  Only use water based cleaners, and if you use products like Simple Green or Purple Power....use them quickly on anything that is rubber and then rinse and dry quickly.

Look stuff over once it is clean....and then decide what needs to be replaced.  Brakes are not anything to try and save money on.  If the parts look worn or aged.....replace them with new.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
daltmyer920
YaBB Newbies

awesome site! love
the bike

Houston TX
Re: Brake caliper
Reply #2 - 11/06/14 at 14:51:52

Thanks Dave I ended up ordering new boots and piston seals. As for the piston. I'll disassemble and have everything cleaned before they arrive.  Totally agree to not go cheap on breaks.

versy mod,dyna, pod air filter, 152.5main 52.5 pilot. 2001, 18,XXX miles $800 Smiley hopefully purchasing ryca kit after having the bike for a year or so
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:20:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake caliper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.