Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Revving but not accelerating (Read 303 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Revving but not accelerating
Reply #15 - 11/06/14 at 08:08:31

Spamy wrote on 11/06/14 at 07:55:15:
Actually "Automotive car oil will not work" is not true. Ive used car oils for 30 years on many many bikes and its fine.  You just have to have the right bare bones simple oil, like Rotella, or Chevron conventional. 

If the oil bottle says that it has "Friction Modifiers" or "Fuel Saving"...you don't want to use it.  Also most modern oils have less than half the ZDDP content that is needed to keep the cap and rockers from self destructing.  This lower ZDDP level was not an issue until the EPA started to limit the amount of ZDDP used in cars that had oxygen sensors.

If the plates are contaminated with friction modifiers, it may take several miles and oil changes to get the "slippery stuff" off the clutch plates.  If the clutch is taken apart and the plates washed and lightly sanded to remove the glaze...you may have some luck using the plates again.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/06/14 at 08:24:43

Dave wrote on 11/06/14 at 08:08:31:
If the plates are contaminated with friction modifiers, it may take several miles and oil changes to get the "slippery stuff" off the clutch plates.  If the clutch is taken apart and the plates washed and lightly sanded to remove the glaze...you may have some luck using the plates again.

That sounds like it's worth a shot, thank you.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 11/07/14 at 02:28:13

I jest love it when newbies start offering other newbies "sage advice" based off of their other bikes (sports bikes and dirtbikes normally) and the brand new newbie runs off to go take the "sage advice" based off that other bike and actively ignores two now three moderators AND all of the tech section to boot and goes off to spend a bunch of money.

Manny, judge whose advice to take by the number and class of the stars by their names -- it saves you trouble in the end.

Also learn how to read the Table of Contents in the Tech Section -- it has a whole chapter thing in there about the clutch, how to adjust it and what oil to feed it (and the rest of your bike).

If your clutch rod is right, your handle adjustment is right and you find you have a contaminated clutch, and you can't get Rotella to heal it over an oil change or two, read in the Clutch section how to clean and roughen your plates and try that before you go pay $70-80 for a new clutch.

If you do insist changing it out, remember Clymers lists the fiber plate thicknesses ass backwards in their little table (known error) and I really do want your old plates that you are going to throw away (I collect them, clean them up and store them -- it is a little hobby of mine).

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 11/07/14 at 05:09:35

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/07/14 at 02:28:13:

I jest love it when newbies start offering other newbies "sage advice" based off of their other bikes (sports bikes and dirtbikes normally) and the brand new newbie runs off to go take the "sage advice" based off that other bike and actively ignores two now three moderators AND all of the tech section to boot and goes off to spend a bunch of money.

Manny, judge whose advice to take by the number and class of the stars by their names -- it saves you trouble in the end.

Also learn how to read the Table of Contents in the Tech Section -- it has a whole chapter thing in there about the clutch, how to adjust it and what oil to feed it (and the rest of your bike).

If your clutch rod is right, your handle adjustment is right and you find you have a contaminated clutch, and you can't get Rotella to heal it over an oil change or two, read in the Clutch section how to clean and roughen your plates and try that before you go pay $70-80 for a new clutch.

If you do insist changing it out, remember Clymers lists the fiber plate thicknesses ass backwards in their little table (known error) and I really do want your old plates that you are going to throw away (I collect them, clean them up and store them -- it is a little hobby of mine).

Smiley

Thanks for the tip, I've simply thanked everyone for their suggestions as I'm sure they were sincerely trying to be helpful. I never posted something like "thank you fellow newbie, i'm gonna run off and do that RIGHT NOW and spend a lot of money"... I also replied to that last comment from Dave (a 5 star moderator) which i thought to make the most sense (no offense to the others). I'll take a look at the tech section too.

Oh, about the plates... I really hope i don't have to replace them, but if I do, I'm gonna start a collection of my own HA!

just kidding... but I live in Guatemala, so getting those plates shipped over to you... I don't know if it would be worth your while. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 11/08/14 at 03:37:59

Actually, I got two sets already sent to me by other newbies and I really do have enough of them stored up already.  

If it does serve to get you to think a bit and read the tech section, then the offer did its job.

What Heavy Duty oils for diesel engines do you have available in Guatemala?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 11/08/14 at 08:36:44

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/08/14 at 03:37:59:

Gonna go check and take note. I'll share once i have em, thanks

IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/17/14 at 12:35:24

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/08/14 at 03:37:59:

Haven't had a chance to go out and look but I saw this somewhere

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/58169D196EDDCB5E80257AD...

It's Castrol CRB Viscus 15W40

It was the only one i thought was pretty close and for diesel engines... there were a couple other oils that claimed to be "specifically for motorcycles" but they were SAE 20W50 So i didn't pay much attention and i thought I'd ask first... any thoughts on that Castrol?

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 11/17/14 at 15:14:16

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/07/14 at 02:28:13:

Smiley

Ouch.  Kinda feels like that was aimed at me.

I guess because I dont post hundreds of posts about my cat and other crap that doesnt pertain to motorcycles my post count isnt high enough to count.

Oh well, I guess Ill keep my tips to myself.  35 years of riding and 30 years of wrenching experience on all bikes from dirt, harleys, cruisers to sports (60's to current) equates to nothing apparently without an old name or alot of posts.

Ill go wimper in some other corner of the internet.

IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/17/14 at 17:09:34

Spamy wrote on 11/17/14 at 15:14:16:
I guess because I dont post hundreds of posts about my cat and other crap that doesnt pertain to motorcycles my post count isnt high enough to count.

35 years of riding and 30 years of wrenching experience on all bikes from dirt, harleys, cruisers to sports (60's to current) equates to nothing apparently without an old name or alot of posts.

Right? Hey thanks man.

IP Logged
rickj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 12/04/14 at 15:16:41

I just replaced the cam chain including the verslavy tensioner mod.  Kept the clutch and replaced the 45mm clutch rod with a 46mm clutch rod.  Before the work the clutch would slip on moderately steep hills.  Now it slips in ALL gears on a level surface.  Can't get much past 25mph.

The clutch cable seems to be adjusted OK.  I'll check again to be sure.

I have a new clutch.  Should I replace the old one?

thanks, rickj

IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 12/04/14 at 15:54:59

rickj wrote on 12/04/14 at 15:16:41:
I just replaced the cam chain including the verslavy tensioner mod.  Kept the clutch and replaced the 45mm clutch rod with a 46mm clutch rod.  Before the work the clutch would slip on moderately steep hills.  Now it slips in ALL gears on a level surface.  Can't get much past 25mph.

The clutch cable seems to be adjusted OK.  I'll check again to be sure.

I have a new clutch.  Should I replace the old one?

thanks, rickj

So here's what I did:

At risk of receiving hate for being "newbies" trying to help each other... This is what worked for ME.

Someone suggested using heavy duty diesel engine oil, so i changed the oil and used Castrol CRB Viscus 15W40. I removed the clutch basket, cleaned the plates and discs using gasoline, compressed air and clean rags. I put some oil on both sides of each disc and plate during re-assembly so they wouldn't starve for lube after first crank. I made sure the center nut (32 mm i think) was nice and tight (torque specifications in the tech section) and i also put flat washers under each of the clutch springs... I figured it would add more pressure in case it needed some. I don't know which of these things did the trick but again, that's what worked for me. And it was getting ridiculous, the day before i fixed it, I rode her home and barely made it up a hill in 1st gear, just barely. Now she runs great. Whether I screwed something up that will become noticeable later... only time will tell. Good luck man, let us know how it goes.

If you have a new clutch... meh, might as well replace it, right? unless you can return it if something else makes the old one work.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #26 - 12/04/14 at 16:46:48

If you are looking for a  Clutch, complicate:
Third photo down:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1416355210

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:29:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Revving but not accelerating

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.