Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Raptor Petcock Gas Mileage (Read 227 times)
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raptor Petcock Gas Mileage
11/05/14 at 13:09:00

Hi All,
Has anyone noticed a change in gas mileage after installing the raptor petcock. I have a 2007 s40 ryca cs1 conversion w/ 1.5 gallon tank. My fuel air mixture screw is set to 1.5 turns out and I noticed that I had to change to reserve after 25 miles as opposed to 30-35 on stock petcock. I also read that the reserve setting on the raptor lasts about 20 miles which gives me 45 as opposed to at least 60 before. Any thoughts?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Raptor Petcock Gas Mileage
Reply #1 - 11/05/14 at 13:22:14

Normal, the raptorcock pick up tube is shorter than stock.

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 11/05/14 at 13:23:35

If I'm reading this right.You have something else wrong too.Even as big as I am,I get close to 50 mpg.You're saying you only get about 30 mpg?I can maybe see a drop a little that maybe the raptor flows a little more than the stock one.waiting on my raptor.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 11/05/14 at 13:25:57

If the pick up is shorter,he should be able to go farther before switching to reserve.Mileage should stay close..A gallon and a half is still a gallon and a half.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/05/14 at 13:34:05

You only have a range of 45-60 miles including reserve.....Yikes!  I betcha it takes a long time to get anywhere when you have to stop for fuel that often.

I guess if we make a habit out of stopping every 100 miles with the stock 2.8 gallon tank - it only makes sense you are going to go half that far when they cut the tank down to only 1.5 gallons.

You should be getting between 50-60 mpg on the RYCA, windshields and big bodies can reduce that mileage.

Here is a photo that compares the height of the intake tubes on the stock vacuum petcock and the Raptor.  The stock petcock gives you more reserve and less miles on the main tank.....the Raptor give you more main tank and less reserve.  However.....they may have made the original petcock screen shorter for the RYCA tank, as the stock one may be too tall for the tank.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/05/14 at 14:22:50

Ill try to keep a closer eye on the mileage and get back to you guys. The raptor petcock should give me more main tank. Ill fill'er up to the brim and see how that goes.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/05/14 at 14:24:03

Thanks for the pic Dave!

IP Logged
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Upstate South Carolina, USA
Reply #7 - 11/06/14 at 07:35:16

Demin wrote on 11/05/14 at 13:23:35:
I can maybe see a drop a little that maybe the raptor flows a little more than the stock one.waiting on my raptor.

Demin, are you saying that flow from the petcock could change mileage? (higher flow = more gas = lower mileage) I am no expert but I thought it just flows into the carb bowl and the carb controls the usage/flow into the motor. Once the bowl is full, it cuts off the flow from the tank. I would only think that the cheap knockoffs with the smaller exit tube could starve the motor by not flowing enough but I have one of those $5 eBay petcocks and I have seen no performance issues - yet. Not trying to argue - just trying to learn.

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 11/06/14 at 07:56:26

It could make a difference in mpg if your old petcock was bad, and starving the engine...
If that was so,.. you'd probably have noticed some poor running at open throttle...

Otherwise,.. both pets are just gravity flow and will have no effect on mpg's...

Your mpg's are very low... is your air filter clean?... or over- oiled?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #9 - 11/06/14 at 15:53:21

I was just kind of saying what Serowbot said.And yes the carb does work like that.I also build Harleys that when you start adding performance, the stock petcock does not flow enough.Then you get into high flow petcocks.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/07/14 at 00:37:46

Correction from earlier, the ryca cs1 gas tank is said to be 2.5 gallons, .3 less than the stock.  I have the exhaust from ryca and the small k&n filter as well.  I filled my tank from bone dry (after installing the raptor petcock) and added 1.5 gallons of 87.  At roughly 25 miles I ran out of gas on main and had to switch to reserve. This morning I filled up right away and was able to put in 1.5 gallons. If ryca's calculations are correct the top of my reserve is at about 1 gallon. Don't people usually say raptor reserve lasts 20 miles?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 11/07/14 at 02:05:23

Aha !!!

With Raptor, crank open throttle, just get GROWL and  Go !!!

Like !!

Do more !!!

Gas mileage sux compared to before but who cares ?

Everything we do to Savage to make it  Go !!!  makes gas mileage worse    Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 11/07/14 at 03:44:35

HighME32 wrote on 11/07/14 at 00:37:46:
Don't people usually say raptor reserve lasts 20 miles?

The amount of reserve in the stock tank cannot be compared to the amount of reserve in the RYCA.  The bottom of the stock tank was cut off to adapt the bike to the RYCA....and the amount of fuel below the main tank inlet is not going to be the same as the stock tank.

Now that you are a member of this site you can do your part to provide this useful information........Here is your homework assignment.  Fill up your tank, and get three 1 gallon jugs.  Level the bike up, take the fuel line off the carb and run it into a gallon jug, then turn on the Raptor petcock to ON.  Measure how much fuel you get....and watch the jug as it most likely will be more than a gallon and you will have to switch over to a second jug.  When the fuel runs out.....record how much fuel that was in the main tank.  Then get another jug and turn the petcock to RES....and measure how much fuel you get.  Not sure if there will be some fuel trapped on the right side of the tank......at least for the main tank there most likely won't be any difference.....for the reserve you might want to wiggle the bike over to the left side to run any fuel trapped in the right side over to the left side where it can flow out the petcock.  You should dump the reserve fuel into a Ratio Rite or similar measuring device that can measure accurately.....it will most likely be around 60 oz. of fuel.

This is good information for all the RYCA folks.....and worth you spending the time on it. What else have you got to do on these cold wet fall nights?

I did this for the stock tank when I changed mine to the Raptor.  The stock vacuum petcock provides 2.18 gallons of fuel on the main tank and 78 oz. on reserve....if you get 50 mpg that is 109 miles on the main tank and 30 miles on reserve.  The Raptor petcock provides 2.32 gallons on the main tank and 60 oz on reserve....which is 116 miles on the main tank and 23 miles on reserve.  This supports why we recommend you stop for gas every 100 miles with the stock tank.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340021926

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #13 - 11/07/14 at 04:33:37

Dave wrote on 11/07/14 at 03:44:35:
I did this for the stock tank when I changed mine to the Raptor.  The stock vacuum petcock provides 2.18 gallons of fuel on the main tank and 78 oz. on reserve....if you get 50 mpg that is 109 miles on the main tank and 30 miles on reserve.  The Raptor petcock provides 2.32 gallons on the main tank and 60 oz on reserve....which is 116 miles on the main tank and 23 miles on reserve.  This supports why we recommend you stop for gas every 100 miles with the stock tank.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1340021926

Dave, I appreciate that info, I somehow missed it before. I usually am pretty tight about stopping every 100 miles, but that is not always exactly possible, so sometimes it is a little more. Why in the world would I stop with less?  Roll Eyes I have a raptor and am pretty sure I have been more than the 116 miles you say, not disagreeing, I know there are many factors that affect mileage and you are just giving an example. I figure I am getting about 55 mph on my bike, most of the time. Which is good for a big guy like me. But I have wondered just how far I can go. I have ran out of the main tank a time or two, not many, but with 23 miles I can always find somewhere to fill up. So thanks for that info.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 11/07/14 at 05:46:10

Prechermike:

I used 50 mpg in those calculations to be a bit conservative.  Folks who throw in big pilot jets and crank the idle fuel screw open in an effort to reduce the backfire can get some crappy mileage as a result.

I get somewhere around 58 mpg on my bike if I ride sensible and don't go much over 60 mph.  I don't have a windshield and I weigh about 160 ready to ride, and my bike is a Cafe' conversion and tips the scales at about 320.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 05:17:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor Petcock Gas Mileage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.