Send Topic Print
On Gasket Goo (Read 60 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
On Gasket Goo
11/05/14 at 12:05:33

I found the almost used up tube of gasket goo.. Opened it up and looked.. Its called 3 Bond, I wanna say it also has 1044 on it,, BUT,, I forgot the card I wrote it on,, Anyway, it is at least 5 years old and isnt any less smooth and pliable, its not like RTV that hardens in the tube. Ive seen Unopened RTV go bad,, This stuff is The Best gasket goo Ive seen. Would I want it in a pressure type application,, ermm,, NO,, But, for the head cover or a clutch cover,, yep,, works just dandy,, AND it cleans up easy.. No scraping, so, no danger of damaging an aluminum sealing surface,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: On Gasket Goo
Reply #1 - 11/05/14 at 13:28:39

Once air hits RTV it's just a matter of time.
Room Temperature Vulcanizing....

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 11/05/14 at 13:49:39

I have used Suzukibond....and just about every color of RTV made by Permatex.

The RTV seems to get a skin very quickly, and when put on thin it does not allow much time to be worked around.  When it squeezes out from between the parts as they are bolted together is seems shiny, and sometimes lumpy as it may be setting up, and it is hard to clean up the excess.

The Suzukibond sets up far slower and gives you more time to work with it.  It does not seem as shiny or slippery, it seems to have thicker consistency as it comes out of the tube and is easier to spread evenly.  When it squeezes out of the mating surfaces it does not smear around as easily, and the mating surface can be cleaned up easily as it does not seem to lump.  I take a sharpened popsicle stick and use it like a putty knife to take off the bead, then dampen a rag with mineral spirits and clean up any smears.  It is the stuff between the mating surfaces that does the sealing work....not the gooey bead hanging inside and outside.  You don't see globs of goo hanging onto the cases of a new bike!

My tube of Suzukibond is 2 years old....and still works like new. (And yes, my RTV hardens in the tubes in about 6 months no matter how carefully I put the cap back on.)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/05/14 at 18:17:04

I've had RTV go bad unopened. The shop gets Hot..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 11/05/14 at 20:54:29

The trick on RTV is to catch it about 2 hours after bolt up when the excess ooze can be grabbed and pulled off in a long continuous string just by pulling on it.

If you wait over night you will need a razor blade while you pull on it .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 11/08/14 at 17:35:02

I used YamaBond 4 on my cap plug timing chain tensioner redo. $12 for about 6 oz tube. And recommended by my Suzuki shop.
TIP: When using any sealer (especially in a tube) put a little petroleum jelly on the threads before capping. Unscrews easily next time you need it.     Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 18:21:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › On Gasket Goo

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.