Send Topic Print
Battery dying? (Read 64 times)
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Battery dying?
11/02/14 at 15:02:28

My young Son likes to play with my bikes controls when I'm cleaning the garage.  Today I turned power on for him so he could honk the horn and nothing happened when he hit the button.  Started the bike and horn worked no problem.  Is this a sign the battery is dying? I checked voltage and it was at an acceptable 12.4.  No problems starting. Rode all day just yesterday.  Thanks in advance for any input.

2011 S40 Raptor petcock. idle screw 2 turns out
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Battery dying?
Reply #1 - 11/02/14 at 15:19:51

I dunno.....I thought maybe the horn would not work with the "kill switch" turned in the OFF position.....so I went out and checked.  My bike honks no matter which position the kill switch is in.

Any chance you turned the key to the "PARK" position by mistake?

Usually the ignition system is the fussiest thing about voltage, and you lose the ignition spark when the battery is low.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #2 - 11/02/14 at 20:13:41

Dave wrote on 11/02/14 at 15:19:51:
I dunno.....I thought maybe the horn would not work with the "kill switch" turned in the OFF position.....so I went out and checked.  My bike honks no matter which position the kill switch is in.

Any chance you turned the key to the "PARK" position by mistake?

Usually the ignition system is the fussiest thing about voltage, and you lose the ignition spark when the battery is low.

No, not on park.  I figured maybe not enough juice to run horn without alternator charging battery.  Just didn't know for sure.  Don't want to waste money on new batt if not the issue.  But don't want to be left stranded if it is either!

2011 S40 Raptor petcock. idle screw 2 turns out
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 11/03/14 at 18:22:10

Try checking the voltage under a load.  That will give you a better estimate on your battery life.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 11/04/14 at 01:47:15

Did you happen to notice if the headlight went OUT (or very dim) when he hit the horn button and it didn't make any noise?
If not, then likely your battery is fine, and it is the horn switch that is gunked up and needs more juice to make the contact area it has left to be useable.  Start the bike, more juice, horn works.   I had this happen to me.  
Taking the horn switch apart is a bit fussy, but can be done so you can clean the contacts.  Have a clean work area before you start, as parts (like tiny screws and springs) can .. fly away.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:26:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery dying?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.