Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My house was constipated (Read 114 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
My house was constipated
10/31/14 at 07:17:21

My plumbing backed up last night. Snaking the cleanouts with a 50' snake did nothing.  Had to remove the toilet closest to the septic system and pour drano in it and let it soak for a couple of hours. After plunging the snot out of it the combination of drano, hot water, and repeated aggressive plunger pressure finally broke it loose and it released a nice, long, soft "whoooooooshhhh".  

I could feel the house smiling in a sigh of relief...It was a tough one.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: My house was constipated
Reply #1 - 10/31/14 at 08:27:59

Told ya' not to dispose of your used oil down there... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #2 - 10/31/14 at 10:04:27

Wouldn't have been easier to dump in a box of ex-lax for gentle overnight relief?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 10/31/14 at 11:29:05

Drestakil wrote on 10/31/14 at 10:04:27:
Wouldn't have been easier to dump in a box of ex-lax for gentle overnight relief?

Would have been far less intrusive, but not when the wifey needs to potty and do her bedtime routine
Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/31/14 at 22:21:20

Really? Plunged the Snot out of it? I don't think it was snot,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 - 11/01/14 at 06:33:50

Good job Stew, imagine the bill if you had to have someone 'Rescue' you.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 11/01/14 at 09:38:59

Okay,, I have a bigger keyboard now,,

How far is it from the clean out to the tank? I guess the question is, maybe you dont know, but why didnt the snake get it? And cant you get a hose in the clean out? Seems like Ive seen an inflatable kinda deal that ya poke in a clean out and get it aimed down the line, inflate it so the water cant go but one way and turn it on a little,, not to try to blow it up,, its DWV, not usually even glued, usually 4" PVC is just hit with Purple Primer and jammed together,, So,, gotta be gentle on the pressure,,

Did you ever figure how far from the toilet the clog was?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 11/01/14 at 18:38:54

good questions.  the only cleanout is on the west side of the house by the
master and laundry. the guest bath is on the east side.  the tank is in the rear east of the house.  i snaked 50` from the cleanout and hit nothing. i snaked about 30` from the spare bath (with toilet removed) and hit an elbow before i hit the clog. i have one of the water bladders you are referring to and i tried it but it did not work. reason is because i
the pressure has to build up to be effective and the  other house drains are a pressure relief.

so, i dumped the drano in as noted and had a heavy duty plunger that sealed on the closet flange and allowed me to hit it with repeated gusts of pressure until it broke loose. although some pressure was relieved elsewhere, this worked since i was pushing water not air, and enough pressure was in each big gust that it rattled it loose. i believe the clog was at the tank inlet or very close too it, otherwise the snake woulda got it.

dirty work, but thats why we collect tools...so we can take care of things when the need arises...and save $$$$  

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 11/01/14 at 20:16:15

Speaking of plumbing and fun stuff, how do you disconnect the white PVC connections that are glued?  Saw them use a fancy insert heater dohingy on This Old House, but for us normal folks.  Can't simply cut a section back and redo, its all elbows etc heading to the great outdoors. Tongue
It is a very small leak so I'm not loosing sleep, a small bucket is under it - but as we may be moving next Spring, it's on my "Bucket List."  ((to misuse a modern colloq.)

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 11/01/14 at 21:50:09

Trippah wrote on 11/01/14 at 20:16:15:
Speaking of plumbing and fun stuff, how do you disconnect the white PVC connections that are glued?

I've had to do some trickery in the past. can you post a pic of the piping and where its leaking? have an idea but need to see what you're dealing with.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 11/02/14 at 03:17:23

Trippah wrote on 11/01/14 at 20:16:15:
Speaking of plumbing and fun stuff, how do you disconnect the white PVC connections that are glued?  Saw them use a fancy insert heater dohingy on This Old House, but for us normal folks.  Can't simply cut a section back and redo, its all elbows etc heading to the great outdoors. Tongue
It is a very small leak so I'm not loosing sleep, a small bucket is under it - but as we may be moving next Spring, it's on my "Bucket List."  ((to misuse a modern colloq.)
\

Sometimes you can have success by cleaning and drying the fitting as best as you can, and then apply PVC glue along the joint.  I had a fitting up in my ceiling that was leaking and would have been a real job to take apart......so I cleaned and epoxied the outside of the joint and it worked fine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 11/02/14 at 06:34:57

Quote:
Sometimes you can have success by cleaning and drying the fitting as best as you can, and then apply PVC glue along the joint.  I had a fitting up in my ceiling that was leaking and would have been a real job to take apart......so I cleaned and epoxied the outside of the joint and it worked fine.

yep, that'll do it. if you are concerned about the pvc glue working, jbweld is some pretty good stuff...but you still have to mske sure the surfaces are clean and dry.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 11/02/14 at 10:48:59

Three years ago my septic tank and alarm was hit by lightning and I was gone on vacation. When I cam home the smell all most knocked me over. Went down stairs and stepped in about a foot of crap that overflowed from the toilet. Over 500 gallons of  the tank backed up thru the toilet. Good thing for home owners insurance because it cost over $39,000 to rip out walls, doors, all wood workings, linoleum, walls, cabinets carpets. Took a couple of weeks for these machine to get all of the bacteria removed. Never ever let your toilet overflow  cause it ain't pretty!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 11/02/14 at 11:12:48

stinger wrote on 11/02/14 at 10:48:59:
Three years ago my septic tank and alarm was hit by lightning and I was gone on vacation. When I cam home the smell all most knocked me over. Went down stairs and stepped in about a foot of crap that overflowed from the toilet. Over 500 gallons of  the tank backed up thru the toilet. Good thing for home owners insurance because it cost over $39,000 to rip out walls, doors, all wood workings, linoleum, walls, cabinets carpets. Took a couple of weeks for these machine to get all of the bacteria removed. Never ever let your toilet overflow  cause it ain't pretty!  

OHHH HORROR!  How long was it before you you were able to leave your house for more than a day without worrying,?

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #14 - 11/02/14 at 14:13:48

LOL, speaking of smelling like toilet overflow...
I just had to replace my garbage disposal in the kitchen (city sewer thank gosh) and when I disconnected the line for the automatic dishwasher (yup I have a manual one  [wife] and an automatic one)
it smelled GAWD AWFUL  Shocked
I immediately turned on the fan and opened the window.... wow.... and I still had to keep my head under the sink until I got it all removed and replaced.... sheesh..... glad I hadn't eaten anything before hand, or I would have had to clean that up too. Embarrassed

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 07:55:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › My house was constipated

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.