Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
The Pipe is Still Blue
10/30/14 at 19:57:14

Need some advice about jetting for my '02, the header pipe is blue down to almost the bend. The engine is running the following, stage 1 cam, K+N drop in filter, drilled out baffle sporty muffler, ported exhaust port, 1/2 whie spacer, 50 pilot jet and 155 main jet and a  3 degree spark advance.
 I've been running the engine in the upper RPM range, over 4K to break in the new cam and try to get the top end carb adjustment right. Even with the 155 main the pipe is still a deep rich blue color.
 The engine is running raped ape strong and the cam has made a major improvement but it seems to be running on the lean side at the higher RPM's. I'm getting pops and backfires on throttle backs at speed.
 Is it possible to go up another jet size on the main, maybe a 157.5 and do they make one that size?
 Would removing the white spacer completely help in the mid range or should I drop it down to 1/3 of the spacer?
Thanks
Ed

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: The Pipe is Still Blue
Reply #1 - 10/30/14 at 22:12:47

Pipe color is no way to judge jetting...
Are you removing the blue before every test?... It won't go away unless you remove it...
Ever...
This is why you shouldn't use it as a gauge...

Go full throttle in 4th or 5th... from 30 or 40mph for 5 seconds... then, let off just about 1/8 rotation on the throttle.... if you feel a slight increase in acceleration.... you can go up a step on the main...

PS... how did you get a 3 degree spark advance?...
Are you getting any knock?....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 10/31/14 at 14:16:58

I'm not removing the blue after every ride, it just seems that the bike could use a little more fuel.  I tend to tune my toys a little rich, just something I've always done.  The blueing has increased as I ride and is almost all the way down to the bend going to the muffler. Seems a bit lean to me, I'll play around with the carb, a 155 main seems to be what is recommended for my set up but my gut is to go bigger. I'll richen up the midrange by reducing the white spacer even more.

The spark advance was pretty simple, I had to replace the left side cover and while in there I slotted the mounting holes on the ignition sensor and moved it about 3/8 of an inch counter clockwise on the cover. If I had gone any further the mounting screws wouldn't of been able to hold the sensor onto the cover.

I've a degree wheel from back when I built gokart motors and when mated up to the crank it showed about 3 degrees advance on the ignition. Kinda rough but it gave another useable 200- 300 rpm top end and a bit more grunt out of the hole.

I'm starting to think that's why the exhaust is running hot, more spark advance heats things up.

Used to tweek inline six cylinder car engines like this with spark advance at the distrubitor and just thought it was worth a try. So far I've been happy with it.

Bet it would be possible to advance the engine a lot more before dentonation but a custom bracket for the ignition sensor would need to be made. Still working on that in my head Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 10/31/14 at 15:08:27

Mine is so "blue" its almost black... but it runs good, so i'm leaving it like it is. Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/31/14 at 23:11:14

When I bought the Guzzi in Houston and rode it home to Longview, the pipes were blue before I had 30 miles on it.. Who cares if it's blue? You don't really think that the guy who put headers on his hot rod cares about them turning blue.. If it's running good,ride it,,, If it's lean, then jets are the answer, read some of the carb tuning threads,, they will tell you Exactly what to look for to decide if you have a lean or rich spot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 11/01/14 at 07:05:17

As usual JOG you hit the nail on the head, I'll ride it for now and see if it needs any more carb tuning.

It's not like the bike is pretty any more unless junkyard dog is your style. Wink

I even put headers on inline six cylinders back when I was hot rodding my cars.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 11/01/14 at 11:27:18

If that bike puts a smile in your heart when you're picking a line thru a curve and leaning into the gas and accelerating out, checking the Speedo to see if your exit speed is getting better, then what someone else SEES when they look at your bike means exactly Nothing... If riding it fills you up with the joy I got when I was riding,how it looks is as important as the color of the sheets on the bed. My wife asked me what color sheets I wanted.. I
told her to get what suits her.. I generally sleep in the dark,with my eyes shut... any color works fine, but, I do think I make better time thru the twisties in my dreams on red sheets.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 11/01/14 at 12:21:25

Ain't that the quote of the day!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #8 - 11/26/14 at 21:52:50

Lose the chrome and paint it black, Problem solved.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 11/27/14 at 07:44:37

The paint will cover the scrapes and surface rust, beats trying to polish it. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 13:25:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Pipe is Still Blue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.