Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Muffler upgrade for 2007 S40 Bike (Read 301 times)
vietdude82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muffler upgrade for 2007 S40 Bike
10/30/14 at 16:33:43

Hi, I'm seeking for help in upgrading my stock muffler on the 2007 Boulevard S40 Bike.  I've done some research on this upgrade a while now and would like to really start getting the exhaust swapped.  My hope is to make the bike sound a bit better and louder then existing one on it.  I've learned that you can install the stock Dyna muffler just fine without welding or cutting involved?. I would like to confirm on it.  Secondly I've found a used stock 09 HD Dyna glide muffler on ebay selling for cheap. Can I use this muffler in place of my stock's?..

A buddy of my also lent me two of his Stock Mufflers from his 2012 Sportster Fortyeight.  I know it has dual muffler but can I still use one of them and modify it somehow to make it work, and perhap it might make the bike sound better? Since it is free.  Please advise. Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
vietdude82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Muffer upgrade for 2007 S40 Bike
Reply #1 - 10/30/14 at 17:03:15

12.JPG
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Muffler upgrade for 2007 S40 Bike
Reply #2 - 10/30/14 at 18:03:40

yup, that'll work

I have the same one on my "quiet bike"

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 10/31/14 at 06:59:42

Recently replaced mine with a harley dyna and really like it.  You shouldn't pay more than $30 or so for a muffler. If it's a shop or dealer wanting $75-$100 walk away. There are plenty out there. I posted an ad on craigslist and got one for $20 pretty much new with a heat shield!

Go here for more details and easy to follow instructions in the tech section.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417

Get the rail mount version, it bolts right up with no fabrication required.

As far as the sportster pipes, if they have the crossover tubes (see details in link above) you'll have to plug the crossover somehow. Not sure if anyone here has done it.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Christian W.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/04/14 at 01:11:57

Been thinking of this. How's the sound of the HD muffler?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/04/14 at 04:31:16

Christian W. wrote on 11/04/14 at 01:11:57:
Been thinking of this. How's the sound of the HD muffler?

It is a nice sound.  A bit louder than the stock muffler and it offers a bit more performance - it sounds really nice in my opinion.  It is able to control the backfire a bit more than the louder and more obnoxious mufflers that have a straight through glassback/resonator type of muffler.   It is not not annoyingly loud and if you don't like it....it is easy to resell it here in the forum.

I prefer to use the RYCA adapter instead of the cutting and tin can method.  Both work......but this adapter requires you to spend some money and save some labor.  Some folks have had difficulty getting the muffler to seal using the cutting and tin can method.

http://shop.rycamotors.com/exhaust_adapter.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
vietdude82
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/04/14 at 05:21:32

Thank you so much for all the replies.  Also, dont you have to rejet? And what are the size of needles i need to replace?

IP Logged
LiPix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/04/14 at 05:30:25

I am also trying to install a Sportster pre 2004 muffler to my bike.

On a post 2004 you will have to cover the extra hole in some way.

The most annoying thing that I see when installing a HD muffler is that our pipe is widest at his end than the harley muffler, so you have to press using brute force.

Another thing that you will notice is that the stock muffler has an angle on it, so it's not exactly aligned with the pipe. Without the RYCA adapter, on my first tests, muffler touches de mount bracket and can be easily scratched. I don't know how people do in the tutorials on this forum, but I cannot figure it by now.

I will retry this weekend if I can, and if it does not reasonably fit I'll buy a 10º adapter.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 11/04/14 at 05:40:54

LiPix wrote on 11/04/14 at 05:30:25:
I

Another thing that you will notice is that the stock muffler has an angle on it, so it's not exactly aligned with the pipe. Without the RYCA adapter, on my first tests, muffler touches thr mount bracket and can be easily scratched. I don't know how people do in the tutorials on this forum, but I cannot figure it by now.

The folks that do not use the adapter.....cut several slots in the front of the muffler where it slips on the header pipe, and they use a tin can shim.  These slots allow the muffler to be deformed to "re-angle" the front of the muffler.  I prefer the adapter to correct the angle - but it does cost more money.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LiPix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/04/14 at 06:14:58

Dave wrote on 11/04/14 at 05:40:54:
LiPix wrote on 11/04/14 at 05:30:25:
I

Another thing that you will notice is that the stock muffler has an angle on it, so it's not exactly aligned with the pipe. Without the RYCA adapter, on my first tests, muffler touches thr mount bracket and can be easily scratched. I don't know how people do in the tutorials on this forum, but I cannot figure it by now.

The folks that do not use the adapter.....cut several slots in the front of the muffler where it slips on the header pipe, and they use a tin can shim.  These slots allow the muffler to be deformed to "re-angle" the front of the muffler.  I prefer the adapter to correct the angle - but it does cost more money.

--------
But I don't see how this will seal correctly.. when you tighten the clamp.. doesn't it tend to re-align the muffler? If it cannot realign it seems to me that in one side of the clamp there has to be less pressure, and maybe smoke leaks... unless you tighten very hard or unless the tin can shim works very well..

I suppose that without seeing it is difficult to imagine.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 11/04/14 at 06:26:32

In my case simple heating and cooling over time has softened the steel of the Dyna joint to the point it has conformed to the angle and the diameter that is needed.   The Dyna existing slots have a little ear or tab at the mouth end of the slots that needs to be removed with a metal cutting shear to allow the mouth to reduce its diameter enough and to realign some as it closes down to make the correct angle.

The tabs at the mouth of the existing slots prevents both the shifting and the diameter close down ..... so either cut them or 4  1/2 grinder the mouth tabs away.

You put the muffler in place with some muffler cement in the joint, force the header on deep into the joint then force the parts into location on the bike, then you tighten the clamps down.  The first time their is misalignment and the joint will leak eventually, then you take it apart, clean off the cement and redo it (and the muffler mouth keeps lining up better and better as you go along).

Dyna mufflers eventually get noisy as the center pipes erode and the seal off between the central chambers goes away.   Then you go get another used Dyna as they are still the best priced best performance aftermarket muffler for the Savage.

Somebody will eventually make up a bunch of adapters and have them for sale, then we won't have to do these "make does" any more.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 11/04/14 at 08:19:52

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/04/14 at 06:26:32:

Somebody will eventually make up a bunch of adapters and have them for sale, then we won't have to do these "make does" any more.

Let's hope so!  Heck, we've got CCT's and head plugs that are beautifully made. This should be a snap!  Wink

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
nickthe_human

Arkansas
Reply #12 - 11/04/14 at 11:37:42

I'll go ahead and add in my $.02 as well. I found a dyna muffler off ebay for around 30. Had to buy the Ryca adapter, I believe 50?, but it was worth it. Gave me adjust-ability in the angle I want.

As far as sound, I have never heard the stock muffler in person, but it is definitely tamer than the couple EMGOs I previously used. Still has enough mmpph to it tho. I can't hear it when I'm cruising, just when I really get on it or am at a stop.

I'm curious as to others rejets as well. I've been running, if I can remember correctly, stock pilot, 150 main(or maybe 152.5), one washer on needle, and about 3/4 turn out on screw. This runs pretty good and just has a little hmmpphhtt at shut off at times.

2005 S40
WWW   IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #13 - 11/04/14 at 13:07:55

I'm gonna add a question to this, does anyone know where to get the "heat shield" that I see a lot of bikes using once they put the dyna muffler on? they are obviously smaller than the stock one. I need one for my bike once I swap the pipe out.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 11/04/14 at 13:34:09

savskad wrote on 11/04/14 at 13:07:55:
I'm gonna add a question to this, does anyone know where to get the "heat shield" that I see a lot of bikes using once they put the dyna muffler on? they are obviously smaller than the stock one. I need one for my bike once I swap the pipe out.

It's just a short heat shield that you can find on fleabay, 6 to 9" long.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:25:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler upgrade for 2007 S40 Bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.