Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Fuse blow - Rectifier?
10/27/14 at 15:52:22

Hello,

I have had a domino effect of issues with my bike lately.  

I was riding my bike and mid ride it died.  Not just the engine but all of the electrical.

I was told by the bike shop that my battery and rectifier were going and should be replaced soon.  I have not had one problem with either of those since I have had my bike.  

After trying to jump start and bump start the bike I put it in a truck and brought it home.

I put the battery on the charger and it charged in under 2 hours.  The charger manual says it should take up to 10 hours so I assumed the battery was not dead.

After re-installing the battery I put the key in an got nothing.  Checked the fuses and noticed the top one was blown.  I replaced it and turn the key to on and it blew again.

I started checking all the lines and fixed any possible issues I could see.  Despite that the next fuse blew...and so on until I have blown 4 fuses.

I have read the things to check in the forums and run through them all.  

The only thing I can think is
1 If the rectifier is fried could it short out and blow the fuse?
2 The battery negative terminal is really close to the chrome plating cover.  I stuck some plastic between at one point because I was worried it was jumping

(1) - I am not sure how the rectifier works.  Does it stay active once the key is turned on?  If it is only active for when "starting" the bike then I doubt this is the problem as it died mid ride before.

What else could I look for or replace to bet this Mofo up and running again?
(alternator, lights, spark plug, battery are the only things that come to mind with putting the key to on and mid riding)

- I have automotive experience but very little with bikes.
its a 1996 suzuki savage 650 - 40,000 kms, aftermarket pipe (not sure type), heated grips.

Your help is appreciated!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Fuse blow - Rectifier?
Reply #1 - 10/27/14 at 16:06:49

Tannermac wrote on 10/27/14 at 15:52:22:
The only thing I can think is
1 If the rectifier is fried could it short out and blow the fuse?

any short will blow a fuse, if you think it's the rectumfryer, pull it, won't stop it from starting.
Quote:
2 The battery negative terminal is really close to the chrome plating cover.  I stuck some plastic between at one point because I was worried it was jumping

the neg term is connected to frame, don't worry about short there.
chrome plate over plastic, don't think it'll conduct electricity.

There are several places most likely to short (besides all over)
Headlight is the most likely, pull the headlight, disconnect the connector, and examine the wires going thru the shell.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/27/14 at 16:34:40

Don't worry about the negative terminal... it already goes to ground, so it can't short... also, that chrome cover is plastic... (sneaky, huh?)...

.. but, you seem to have a short somewhere... and replacing the rectifier won't fix that...
Once the bike is running again, we can test the rectifier easy.. using a voltmeter... but the bike must be running... (and I bet it's fine)...

Smell around for burn't wire... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 10/27/14 at 16:34:43

The rectifier is activated by the red/blue wire from the ignition switch.  If it's blown bad enough, I guess it could blow the fuse.

Just take off the seat and unplug the rectifier.  Like Verslagen said, it will run without the rectifier.  It won't charge the battery so don't go very far. If you are going to run it without the rectifier connected, pull the stator connection from it too.  It can kill it if its not already dead to have the power going in and nowhere to put it. Dunno why. Just what I've read on lots of different sites. I'm having troubles with my rectifier too. Been doing a lot of research about how it works.

The chrome is conductive but the - is connected to the frame...don't worry about that.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #4 - 10/27/14 at 16:52:37

Thanks for clearing up a couple things.

I can use those for the process of elimination.

Honestly the only thing I haven't checked is the head light.  I checked all the bulbs and the wires.  I will pull the rectifier first and see what happens.

The bike sat for a week since it died as the rainy season has started here and I have no where to work on it undercover.  So I doubt I will be able to smell anything burning.  I had a short window of dry weather today and got as far as my little brain would take me without further help from you guys.

The other spot with a possible issue that as you know is hard to investigate is under the tank.  There is cables and such there but I couldn't see anything obvious. Ill go the easy route of headlight and rectifier and with no luck on that I ll pull the tank so I can actually see those wires and harnesses.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 10/29/14 at 09:35:19

Um, not to question you but.... what size fuses are in your bike?

Heated grips.....  check your switch for that.... check your wiring too. It takes a lot of amps to start the heat process.
Disconnect it from your system and try again, see if that doesn't help.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/29/14 at 11:07:06

FYI... don't charge your battery at any rate higher than 2amp/hr...
   ... don't jump a your battery from a car while the car is running...

...it can damage yer' battery, ...
...or bike electrics... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #7 - 11/04/14 at 17:06:49

Old_rider - The fuses are 20a as they are standard.  I have gone through a process of elimination and had the heated hand grips disconnected with the problem continuing.   Thanks for the suggestion though!

Serowbot - I have a bike battery charger so all is good in that sense.

Okay I have made big progress.  It took a weekend of working on the bike but I have it up and running. The only disheartening part is I am not sure what cured it.  Here's how it went down.

I stripped the wire cover and tape from every single wire.  I had disconnected all the wiring harnesses to help eliminate the possible issue area.  Nothing was curing the fuse blow.  I went through probably 20 fuses.  I did the initial easy checks grounding connections, lights and the go to wires that fire up with the key moved to "on".   Nothing was fixing it.  

When I removed the wire covers & electrical tape I found either the wires were all greasy or runny with electrical tape adhesive.  As I went through I used a dry cloth and cleaned up all the wires.  Once under the tank I noticed a harness connection with a strange colour to the one connection in the harness.  It was a kind of green colour.  Not as if it was shorting out but not like all of the other connections.  I scored the connection the best I could in case it was not connecting for some reason.

If I remember correctly the wire ran to one of the front signal lights. I looked at the left signal bulb and found that there was 3 elements in it with only 2 of them intact.  I had replacement bulbs and noticed that all of the other ones have only 2 elements.  The original bulb "worked" but I changed it out anyways.  

I recovered all of the 3 to 1 wire connections with electrical tape. and slowly put the required running harnesses together.

The bike has worked since and I am not exactly sure why.  

Have any of you heard of a fuse blowing from a bulb situation like this?  I am posting photos to go along with this.  

I was worried that some how the greasy wires were conducting electricity and shorting it out.

If in fact it was the bulb I am going to beat my head against a wall as it literally took 2 days of 9 - 5 working through the wires. I did look at the bulb initially but if I missed this simple problem I am going to be disappointed in my self!  So lie to me if you need to  Wink (dont actually).

Hoping my misfortune and experience brings someone else help in the future.

image_4.jpeg
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #8 - 11/04/14 at 17:08:32

Sure enough I have read through the forum trying to find the instructions on posting photos.  Not sure if I am missing it or I am looking in the wrong section of the forum.  Either way ill post a couple pics in single posts for review.

image_2.jpeg
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #9 - 11/04/14 at 17:11:19

Other side of the harness

image_3.jpeg
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 11/04/14 at 20:13:34

I can see where the 3-way bulb might cause a problem.  It will have 3 contact patches on the bottom instead of 2. The side is the ground.

If one of the 3 bridged the two contacts in the base, it could cause some strangeness.  Not sure how the bottom of that bulb is made.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #11 - 11/04/14 at 22:36:40

Steve H - The original bulb bottom has only 2 contacts they are circular but the replacement bulb has 2 that are more of a oval shape.  Other then that there is no other differences.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 11/05/14 at 03:35:24

Oval contact bulbs have always worked fine for me.

The greenish contact probably has a little corrosion on it. Usually that just stops a good connection being made and something doesn't work. Clean it up like you did. Reconnect it and you're good to go on the contact.

Still no idea what actually fixed it?

IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #13 - 11/11/14 at 17:35:33

Nope only those three things are possible fixes.

The bike is parked now and I will begin the tinkering and winterizing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:16:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuse blow - Rectifier?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.