Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Raptor Petcock - On and Off? (Read 135 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Raptor Petcock - On and Off?
10/27/14 at 11:25:51

So...at about 4000 miles on my 2008 I think I am getting intermittent signs of the dreaded petcock failure. I am a traditionalist and debated asking for a stock petcock from the marketplace (sure there are lots of folks ready to throw them at me all day long) but think I am leaning toward the raptor...but have one burning question:

1) If I forget to turn it "off" am I gonna have problems with flooding? I mean...my bike is really clean and gets ridden once a week or more and I use sea foam and ethanol treatment frequently to head off any gunk in the carb. My point is, I think I understand that the flooding is only when your float sticks and doesn't "float" up to shut off the fuel or the float needle fails.

I might be ok at getting in the habit of turning the fuel on and off, but I know it'll take me some time and I will probably not do it for a quick trip in and out of the store, etc.  

Comments/suggestions?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Raptor Petcock - On and Off?
Reply #1 - 10/27/14 at 11:35:39

stewmills wrote on 10/27/14 at 11:25:51:
1) If I forget to turn it "off" am I gonna have problems with flooding?

... I will probably not do it for a quick trip in and out of the store, etc.  

Quick trip in and out of a store is usually not a problem.
leaving it on for a week might be.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/27/14 at 11:55:58

Keep in mind,.. if your floats stick they are stuck... and having shut-off the petcock will only stop the leaking 'till you turn it back on...
Then, you'll have leaking fuel while you are on the bike...
...(same goes for the vacuum petcock)...

Do you have a preference?... while riding or parked?... Grin...

I only shut off the petcock if I'm parking in an enclosed space, like my shop...
Otherwise, I'd prefer to notice the puddle, rather than feel my leg soaked in fuel...

A good reminder is to hang a bandana or t-shirt sleeve over your throttle... when you turn the pet to off...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/27/14 at 11:59:51

I turn my Raptor on at the beginning of the ride, and then again at the intersection a mile from my house when I am returning home at the end of the day.  The bike runs out of gas when I reach my driveway, and I don't have any fuel sitting in the carb is I don't ride for a while (Better than using SeaFoam!).

If you leave the petcock by mistake...........chances are you won't have any problems.  Your push lawnmower is exactly the same system of fuel tank and carb and floats....and how often has your mower flooded your floor?

Still.....it is best to shut the petcock off.  You will get in the habit after a little while.  You just need something to remind you.......like the intersection that I use on every trip home.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/27/14 at 12:57:13

Serowbot wrote on 10/27/14 at 11:55:58:
Otherwise, I'd prefer to notice the puddle, rather than feel my leg soaked in fuel...

There are 3 routes for gas when the float fails... vent tubes, crankcase, and airbox.  It'll only go out the vent tubes when running.  flooding thru the carb will shut your bike off so you might notice that and take care of it.  or when shut off will flood the crankcase or airbox and then the floor.
Quote:
A good reminder is to hang a bandana or t-shirt sleeve over your throttle... when you turn the pet to off...

I have a high tech solution to remembering when to turn the petcock on... it's an audible detector for sudden silence.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 10/27/14 at 13:10:54

Thanks folks.  Sounds like I am worried about a whole lotta nothing, as usual.   Shocked

Yeah, I have rarely, if ever, had my mowers just start flooding due to a float issue as I try to keep most of my things clean and un-gunked and address any issues as soon as I see them versus let it sit and persist.

Guess it's time to go petcock shopping  Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 10/29/14 at 09:23:55

Just remember.... two.... always two....

Turn on gas, turn on key...
Turn off key, turn off gas....
Wax on, Wax off....
Practice Danielsan.....

I'm like dave tho... I turn my gas off when I make the turn at the end of the street.... then hit my garage door opener.....of course that kinda dangerous sometimes, doing too many things at once...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 10/29/14 at 11:15:00

If I turn it off as I enter my driveway, I may not make it to the house Wink

Yep, that's my driveway...

IMG-20140201-01597.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/29/14 at 11:44:11

You could put some "Burma Shave" signs down your driveway.

Always remember.

Never forget.

To prevent fuel overflow.

Close the Pet......

Burma Shave.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/29/14 at 12:21:20

Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 10/29/14 at 12:29:45

Dave wrote on 10/29/14 at 11:44:11:
You could put some "Burma Shave" signs down your driveway.

Funny  Grin

Send me all the signs you want/have and I'll put 'em to good use...not down the driveway...my wife will not like that.

I do, however, have an old barn/shed I am trying to fill up with old signs and such as we do down here in the South...so no sign goes unappreciated at my house/barn. Wink

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/29/14 at 12:44:58

If you want signs...you might wanna' go talk to the local cities.  The Federal Government has issued a mandate about "retroreflectivity" standards, and is forcing all cities to install new signs that have high visibility at night.

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/roadway_dept/night_visib/policy_guide/sign_15mins/

It is sad....but right in the middle of the economic slow down and budget crunching....cities are being forced  by the Federal Government to replace all of the street signs....."Coming to a City Near You!"

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:37:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor Petcock - On and Off?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.