Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another handlebar question (Read 96 times)
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Another handlebar question
10/24/14 at 17:13:20

planning to swap handlebars to something a bit less cramped and had a few questions.

i have a 2005 with drag bars. thinking of going for a 10" ape bar like this http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/drag-specialties-1-narrow-ape-hanger-handleba... i currently have the riser turned away from the bike, and still feel like i could form some slack.

i noticed that the right instrument cluster is also part of the mirror clamp. will i be able to get mirrors that point down without having to replace that? if not, would i be able to find sleeker aftermarket mirrors that fit?

grips, what do i need to know about grips? will aftermarket grips work with the original throttle? thinkng of getting biltwel kung fu grips or something to that effect.

I've got a lot to learn.

« Last Edit: 10/24/14 at 18:24:38 by sesamestreet »  
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Another handlebar question
Reply #1 - 10/25/14 at 05:37:05

I don't think you will have enough slack for those bars.The cables are different from drag bars and pullback(buckhorns)bars.

So you'll probably need new cables,brake hose,extend the wiring.

The right mirror clamp should be the clamp for the master cylinder,not the switches(if I'm reading that right).

Yes that most aftermarket mirrors will fit.IF..they come with the metric adapters.Or you can buy the adapters too.Usually under 10 bucks.

When you get grips make sure they are 2 different sizes.One will be 1" and the other will be 1.125(1 1/8)" to slide over the throttle tube.

They should work...Just looked at the site.They are designed to go over a throttle tube.Below is a quote from the description of the grips.

Note: Using Biltwell rubber grips on H-Ds will often require that your motorcycle is equipped with an aftermarket throttle tube (our Whiskey throttle tube, for instance). The grips do not have a built in plastic throttle tube, they are meant to slide over a higher-quality aluminum tube.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #2 - 10/25/14 at 10:03:07

ok, the cables from buckhorn model savage will work?

what about barnett cables?

(Edit: I made up my mind, an 8" ape is perfect. Stock riser is 7" so a couple inches more shouldn't be a worry )

can the right mirror clamp be mounted downwards? seems like it can. I know they take a 10mm thread size mirror, so i'll be looking for that.

I figured the grips would work, just not sure how long the throttle tube is, will it need to be trimmed?

And i figure all the instrument clusters and things are just held in place by the screws is that correct? is anything bolted on to the handlebar? will my new handlebar need to be drilled? I'm assuming no dimples.

Can i use the stock rubber dampers with aftermarket risers? thinking i can just stack the the riser on top of the damper as long as i have a bolt long enough to penetrate the riser.

i'd hate to buy a bunch of parts and be left stuck needing cables or anything. trying to gather all the required stuff and having at it.
appreciate all the help

« Last Edit: 10/25/14 at 15:37:15 by sesamestreet »  
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 10/25/14 at 15:37:35

Yes,the buckhorns will work as long as they aren't real wide apes.Mini's are ok.You'll probably have to reroute them some.

Barnett cables are good.There are a few others too.I think Lancer on here makes them too.

I don't see why you can't flip the mirror clamp.Everything looks to be centered.Again with Harley type mirrors you can use the metric adapters.

Our grips seem fairly short,so I don't think you would need to trim the tube.If you do,it's plastic anyhow.

Yes the switch halves are just clamped together with the two screws.

No the new bars do not need to be drilled.However on our switches there is a little pin that sticks out.It goes into a hole in the stock bars.Just grind it off.The dimples and holes are for Harley style controls.They are not notched for the wires like the Savage's

You do not need to change risers for Harley style bars.The Savage uses a metric bolt close to 3/8" through the dampeners.Harley style risers use a 1/2" bolt.You might have a little problem with them.But it's what your ability and tools are.You can make them fit,I'm sure.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:24:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another handlebar question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!