stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
"Ticking" in my ears
10/24/14 at 14:54:12

I have a full face helmet I only wear when it's cold, but it seems I only noticed this issue after doing the dyna conversion.

As odd as it sounds (no pun intended) when I wear my full face I seem to have a ringing in my inner ear that is more of a "tick tick tick tick" to the RPM of the engine as if I am riding with my ear stuck to the side of the engine.  It's not a ringing that persists when I cut off the engine because i have inner ear issues (I don't), it's only active when the engine is running and I am riding, and speed or the angle of my head to the wind has no impact on dissipating the tick.

It's as if the frequency of the exhaust noise is reverberating up into and around inside the helmet and concentrating on my inner ear (if you kinda think of a satellite dish concentrating a signal towards a center point...which in this case is MY CRANIUM).  

Anyhow, I am going to try riding with ear plugs and see if it makes a difference.  If not, I don't know what to do as it's tolerable for the 10-15 minute ride to work and back but It's enough to be really irritating for anything more than that.

When I ride with my polo helmet it's fine and I don't feel anything at all, be it idling at the house or a stoplight...and of course nothing at riding speeds because the wind over my ears drowns everything out anyway.

Do you think aliens planted a probe in my head and the exhaust frequency is interrupting their transmissions?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: "Ticking" in my ears
Reply #1 - 10/24/14 at 17:48:52

If your head doesn't explode in the next 24hrs... I think it's probably just that your helmet is blocking enough wind noise to allow you to hear the valves...

... if your head does explode,.. that will confirm to all the rest of us, that our valve noise is not a problem...

From accounts that I've read,.. aliens don't shoot for the head with their probes... so, I think yer' safe there...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 10/24/14 at 19:20:27

Serowbot wrote on 10/24/14 at 17:48:52:
From accounts that I've read,.. aliens don't shoot for the head with their probes... so, I think yer' safe there...
Huh...

I...just...don't...know...what...to...say...about...that... Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 10/24/14 at 19:29:35

Does your chin strap have a snap? when you double your strap over do you tuck it under your chin? wrap it around itself and tuck it under your chin....
Seriously.... I had a 3/4 helmet that did that to me.... took me months to figure out that the strap was flapping, I didn't think it could...I ended up cutting it real short.... dropped that helmet off the back of the bike....got a new one...ticking stopped...

Jus' sayin', it ain't in yer head....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 10/24/14 at 21:10:29

my chin strap has a snap but that doesn't mean it couldn't be flapping...though i don't think that's it. if i ride this weekend i will definitely be investigating things.  my head hasn't `sploded yet, but if yall don't hear from me in a few days send a bambulance.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 10/24/14 at 22:02:28

I had this stinging sensation on the back of my neck when I was riding. Couldn't figger it out... I reached back one day and realized it was my beard whipping in the wind around my head.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/25/14 at 03:10:51

I was given an old Simpson car helmet when I first got my Savage, and it was loose around the neck area and definitely concentrates the engine noise to my ears.  It was really bad when the headlight bucket was rattling.  (Check you headlight and speedometer by putting your hand on them and see if the noise goes away).

My new full face helmet is a tighter fit and is not as noisy - but I always wear ear plugs when I ride more than a couple of blocks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 10/25/14 at 07:13:57

my helmet is a new hjc cl16. fairly good quality for the price. i have a small and it fits pretty snug, but i have never ridden with ear plugs. I'll try that and see what it does.

oh...and i dont have any rattles except the gas cap (yeah, it is the gad cap and not the speedo or headlight...I've tested it) but the noise in my head isn't like an ambient noise i overhear, it literally feels like it's inside my brain.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/25/14 at 08:06:42

Ooooooh... sounds like a loose wax problem...

Get an earbulb squirter, and squirt warm water in there...

...once you get it out,... smear it on yer' belt to quiet that...
Win win,,,... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #9 - 10/25/14 at 08:37:37

I know you said the helmet was new, but I'd you have vents then check their operation. I also have an HJC, and one of my vents has become disconnected from it's slider.  The vent valve will flap and tick in the wind, and it can get pretty loud at times. I managed to get it stuck open eventually.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/25/14 at 10:35:31

Regarding HJC quality,, I Impact Tested one. The chin cover and shield were put to the test. I went face first into the cab corner, after my head slid down the top edge of the bed, I got 2 stitches in my lep, because the chin guard flexed in,, and the strap pressed into my throat so hard it was still a reminder 3 weeks later when I swallowed. If I had been wearing something other than Full Coverage, my face woulda been packed in, at best.. Dead becomes a possibility,,

BUT
The first time I totaled a bike, if I had been wearing any helmet at all,, I would died,, I still cracked 3 vertebrae in my neck,, not to be diagnosed for many years,, But the helmet would have been a fulcrum between shoulder and neck, and done what the hangmans noose is supposed to do.

2nd total,, no helmet,, didnt hit my head,, so,,

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances,, BUT,, I wont ride w/o a full cover hat.. and gloves and boots..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:25:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › "Ticking" in my ears

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.