Send Topic Print
Odd rear tire wear (Read 184 times)
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Odd rear tire wear
10/24/14 at 11:43:21

Hi All,
I had some really wierd tire wear on my 07 s40 ryca cs1 conversion. I was running the Kenda Cruisers on them and after a little more than a year the of riding about 60 miles a week the tire was baldong one side of the tire (front) and fine on another (rear). It was not a side to side wear issue. The mechanic at the shop that installed my tire thought it was from doing burnouts, but that has never been dome on this bike. Any ideas?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Odd rear tire wear
Reply #1 - 10/24/14 at 11:59:56

Do you feel a "Pulsation" when youre stopping? If the brake is grabbing harder in one area of the drum it will wear the tire like that. I had a warped rotor on a work truck ( company owned) and I noticed an area on the tire that was wearing faster and when the rotor passed thru the pads it bumped Juuust a little,, You might need to get the rear tire off the ground, in neutral, spin it, mark where it stops ( chalk line/swing arm, whatever) spin it, see if it stops in the same place. Then, if nothing shows up, adjust the brake a little tighter till its either ON or ya prove its not the brakes doing it. Problee otta mark the threads on the rod so ya can get back to "Square One" w/o a hassle when yer done..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/24/14 at 12:13:25

I am confused.  The heading says the rear tire had odd wear, and in the post the rear tire was worn evenly and the front tire was worn on one side?

Splain' this a little slower so me.....so I can understand what was worn "Odd".

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 10/24/14 at 12:28:54

I'm thinking he could have said Top and Bottom,,IOW,it's not a left and right sides of the tire issue.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/24/14 at 13:17:50

Exactly, I meant the tire wear front/back wear imstead of side to side, so along the diameter of the tire the wear wss different.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/24/14 at 13:31:11

Justin,
I haven't really noticed pulsation, but I did readjust the arm on the drum to go back more to decrease the play in the ryca rear brake lever. It isn't binding when I roll it. BTW ehat is an easy stand to use to get the tires off the ground?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/24/14 at 13:36:04

Did you check the balance on your wheel/tire set up?  Riding with a tire that is out of balance can make it wear uneven.

The RYCA pedal set up for the brake is goofy.....it needs a stop.  I used Dime City pedals and built a stop that works great......Since you have a RYCA peg/pedal set - you need to build a stop like Gerry did.

There is a piece of aluminum on the back side, a threaded bolt, and a clear rubber sleeve to soften the return impact.  It puts and end to all that "limp pedal" nonsense.

Gerrys_Pedal.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/24/14 at 18:14:10

Yeah,it's supposed to be balanced. Whoever mounted it probably changed to balance it. If you're okay with the brake, then next thing to look at is balance.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/24/14 at 19:59:15

The new tire is balanced. I saw them do it in front of me. Thanks for the info on the brake Dave! I will definitely look into getting that.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/25/14 at 17:05:12

HighME32 wrote on 10/24/14 at 19:59:15:
The new tire is balanced. I saw them do it in front of me. Thanks for the info on the brake Dave! I will definitely look into getting that.

The only way you can get it......is to build it.  Or ask Jerry to build you one.  RYCA does not make this part - but they should.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/14/14 at 01:23:59

I just noticed today that the drum is rubbing when i roll  the bike. I have never had this happen before but it doesn't sound good. I repositioned the drum brake lever (took it off of the teeth and replaced it) maybe 15 degrees to get it the way the initial ryca brake adjustment set it. I had a mechanic install the rear tire recently and the drum still looked like it had a lot of pad left. I am going to take it apart and get the ryca brake pedal stopper. Any ideas what could have happened?

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/14/14 at 01:29:35

You guys think it could be the bearings? I guess I'll  find out when I take the rear tire off

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/14/14 at 11:12:21

Hey Dave,
Ryca is charging 25 for that brake stop. How much do you think it wpuld cost to male Gary's? Should i even try or just buy one?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 11/14/14 at 19:41:56

RYCA really should send those to anyone that bought a kit that did not include one..........

Send me the distance from the back of the rear set mount to the outside edge of the brake pedal, and the distance from the center of the bolt in the  peg to a point about midway on the lever that actuates the rear brake...and I will make you one.  You will be the test subject!

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/15/14 at 14:53:47

That's real nice of you Dave! I actually sucked it up and just bought one because it would probably take longer for me to get one. So as far as the drum rubbung when i roll the bike. Should i adjust the pedal height or just take the drum apart to see whats going on?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:24:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Odd rear tire wear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.