Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Flashing LED Brake Light (Read 362 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Flashing LED Brake Light
10/24/14 at 08:55:40

I have not been an advocate of switching out the stock 1157 tail/brake light bulb for an LED - as the cheap LED's are not as bright, and are hard to see in the daylight.  You are safer with the stock bulb than a cheap LED.  When you replace your brake light or turn signal bulbs with LED ones - put the bike in the sunlight and get back 200 feet....and then see how visible it is.  The folks that are going to run you over aren't likely to be 20 feet behind you when you put on the brakes or turn signals, they are most likely to be back a bit and gaining on you fast.

I have found an LED replacement for the stock 1157 bulb that I believe is better than the stock bulb, and I have ordered them for use in the ST1100 and my car.  The bulb is sold by Superbright, and at $ 18.95 each they are not cheap - but they have a built in brake light flasher and it is not any more expensive than installing a brake light flasher....plus it is brighter, lasts longer and uses less energy.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/car-strobe-modules/1157-led-bulb-dua...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQh-0bRqx3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjuCIUk9E4o

This may be helpful in getting folks to look up from their cell phones!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Flashing LED Brake Light
Reply #1 - 10/24/14 at 10:10:51

The bulb is sold by Superbright, and at $ 18.95 each they are not cheap - but they have a built in brake light flasher and it is not any more expensive than installing a brake light flasher....plus it is brighter, lasts longer and uses less energy.

No,, NOT Cheap,, But, If it avoids even some major drama , its a good deal,I think we all know to flash the brake light a few times when we have tine during a stop when we are obviously in a traffic situation,, we know someone is a ways back,, no idea what theyre doing besides driving,, and we all know to stop , aimed to the side and far enough back to escape from between the one in front and the one coming up behind,, But having a Good Bright, Self flashing brake light is a good plan,,, IF it only flashes a few times, then goes solid,, Im not sure how I feel about one that keeps blinking,

Does it go to a solid light?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/24/14 at 10:22:35

This light flashes 3 times - then goes solid for about a minute.  After a minute it flashes 3 times again....and goes solid.

It is illegal to have a continual flashing red light - but one that pulses a few times when activated is legal.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/24/14 at 12:00:58

Sounds like a good plan to me,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 10/24/14 at 13:09:59

Thanks, Dave!  I perused these a while back and was not sure if they were a gimmick but now that you bring them up I value your professional opinion and may grab one.

My only question is whether or not it requires anything to function properly or if it just snaps in and it's ready.  Reason I ask is per this comment on the sellers website:

Your vehicle may require an LED compatible Flasher or Load Resistor. LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with most stock flasher units due to their extremely low current draw ...Please See More LED Car Bulb Notes

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/24/14 at 13:18:00

The Savage is primitive.....and you just need to plug in the light and then play!

If you read through some of the reviews - you will find that some of the modern cars are so sophisticated that they have warning lights for light bulbs that are burned out.  If you replace a conventional bulb with an LED on those cars - they can believe the light is burned out and the dash will display the warning.

No problems on the Savage or other motorcycles without high tech electronic warnings.

Dave

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 10/24/14 at 14:11:28

Sweet.  Another example of why being all high-tech is not always the bestest.  Wink

I placed my order  Tongue

Thanks Dave!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/24/14 at 20:41:44

So will it still do that stupid spinny thing without the brake pulled in? I have no problem with a couple flashes while the brakes are on, but that continuous spinny thing it does has pissed me off since the day I got it. Just haven't found a taillight I like better yet...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/25/14 at 03:15:09

ezornes239 wrote on 10/24/14 at 20:41:44:
So will it still do that stupid spinny thing without the brake pulled in? I have no problem with a couple flashes while the brakes are on, but that continuous spinny thing it does has pissed me off since the day I got it. Just haven't found a taillight I like better yet...

No spinning.  It is a steady light until you apply the brake, then 3 bright flashes and then steady bright for a full minute....then 3 more flashes every minute until you let go of the brake.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/27/14 at 11:29:15

I got my lights in the mail today.  I put one of the 7443 plug in bulbs in the right side of my car and turned on the running lights.....and it appears dimmer than the stock bulb.  The problem is the stock 7443 bulb is very short in lenght, and the LED light is much longer (deeper) than the stock one.....it moves the light back out of the parabolic reflector...so I have a point of light instead of the entire lens being filled with light.

I will try the 1157 bulbs in the Honda tonight and see what happens......and if they are not better....I am sending them back!  My goal was to be more visible.....not less!

7443.JPG

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 10/27/14 at 13:15:43

I'm waiting on mine to come in for the stock S40 brake light. Not sure if you (Dave) still have the stock tail light for comparison?  If not, I'll report back in a few days with a stock comparison as soon as mine gets here.

Agreed...if it's less bright and therefore less visible it'll be worthless to me and be on a trip back home.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 10/27/14 at 13:22:13

ive bought several items from superbright over the years  FYI:
tech specs are given along with physical measurements for their bulbs
so fitiment is easier

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #12 - 10/27/14 at 14:21:33

The LED  Break light 'bulb', from 'Superbrightled', is Well  Worth it.

They are not the 'cheep', knock offs, and if you want to go standard, or pulse, you can't go wrong. (You pay for them, but they are worth it)

However, I just 'have',  to be, different.
So I built a little bracket,  used these:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-wired-bolts/bolt-beam-12mm-led-l...

A 'Red' each side, and a, 'Blue', in the center.
These are 'tipped' up a bit, so thinking a tall SUV, or Truck, will see them easier. And, they, 'ARE', bright.

Now,  BLUE, as a rear light.    In Minn, Blue, in the rear, of a M.C. IS Legal !!!!  (perhaps other States, check your laws).  
As long as it is 1" or Less.  (These are 1/2"), and it is operated Only, when the break is applied.

Have had people riding behind me, (in the day), when I tap/flash, the break light, to warn of a bit of rough road.  They tell me, 'They can really see them, and it really catches your eye'.

So check your state laws. And perhaps check about, 'green'. would that work?  Point is, something, 'different', to, "Catch That Attention".

Thought of drilling a little hole in the factory, plastic, and adding the, 'Blue' light.

3lightblue.JPG

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 10/27/14 at 14:28:32

Definitely not legal in most states.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 10/27/14 at 14:43:19

Well, I mounted the 1157 replacement bulbs in the Honda ST1100, and they work great.  They are brighter, and they make the light look less orange and more red.

I then tried the 7443 bulbs in my wife's Honda Civic car, and they work fine in her car.  The rear light housings are deeper and the lenses have the prisms in them......my Pontiac Vibe does not.  The 7443 replacement LED's evidently don't work well in lights with shallow reflectors and lenses without prisms.

So.....we will have to see how much luck Kris01 has with the Savage.  They work great in Honda's (car and bike).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 01:50:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flashing LED Brake Light

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.