Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine "Clack" noise - please help (Read 275 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Engine "Clack" noise - please help
Reply #15 - 10/23/14 at 01:03:44

Well, that clack is not okay, you've got to not even almost lug it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 10/23/14 at 05:17:21

One of the things that happens when you "crack" open the throttle, is that the mixture goes a bit lean.  When the throttle is closed the fuel flow to the engine is through the pilot circuit as the engine idles, and when you crack open the throttle the fuel flow needs to come from the needle jet and pilot jet circuit....and it doesn't happen instantly.

So when you crack open the throttle too quickly - the mixture goes lean and it can cause detonation as a lean fuel mixture can "explode" rather than go through a smooth controlled burn.

So.....stop cracking open the throttle!  This is not a sport bike and should not be ridden like one!  You should add throttle at a much slower rate for this big single.  As the rpm's increase you can roll on full throttle......full throttle should not be used at low rpm's.  If you feel the engine lugging and shaking as it pulls - you need a lower gear or less throttle.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 10/23/14 at 07:26:33

Unless youve ridden a new tight engined one, you dont know whats happening on his.. Ive been there and It changes over time, Just start from a stop at a higher RPM and pull away gently, accelerate gently,, Itll stop doin that,, But He IS right,, I could make mine clack even after it was broken in,, Dont Lug that motor,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #18 - 10/23/14 at 17:37:15

I don't jump to full throttle, it seemed only about 1/4 throttle when it happened. Definitely no where near 1/2 throttle. I don't treat it like a sport bike. My last bike was a 4cyl 600cc. I know this isn't that. I have the idle set to a smooth, "quick" idle. It does not lope. I'll take your advice justin o guy and just give it time. Also gonna check the valves at 1000 to see what they look like.

Thank you to everyone. If anyone else has advice it would be appreciated as well.

Knowledge is power.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/23/14 at 18:33:14

Your idle speed sounded a little low to me.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 10/23/14 at 19:36:38

I went and listened. I don't know for sure, but I Do know it won't hurt to jack up the idle a little. Go ahead and keep it spinning,

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #21 - 10/24/14 at 12:07:37

UPDATE: Now that I have noticed the clack I have been watching and listening for it. I DID NOT hear it today until after the bike was good n hot. I rode about 8 miles just now, all city, with a bunch of stop lights. Could not forcefully make it clack until the very end of the ride. So whatever is happening, only happens when it is hot.

I'm gonna change the oil and check the valves at 1000miles. Just for precautionary purposes.

About my idle, "My Suzuki S40 Savage idle speed: http://youtu.be/PDPYgNC-DlM"

Just made that video today. The only reason I don't like having the idle too high, is because heat can get pretty brutal in Austin and I find myself regularly sitting in traffic or at stop lights for more than 5 minutes and don't want it to overheat too quickly. I just don't want it to lope. Justin o guy, I see you're from Dallas area so I know you can relate on the heat. I'm not familiar with yall's traffic though.

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 10/24/14 at 12:40:14

I'm 1/2 way (ish) between Dallas and Shreveport,, Longview area.
So far,nobody has ever seen engine or clutch problems caused by running
Shell Rotella T, it's about $13.00 ,available at Tractor Supply,Wal-Mart,
It's cheap and it's good..
As long as it's idling at 1,000 RPM or better, you won't wreck the head because the cam isn't getting enough oil.. Provided the oil you're using isn't thin and failing to maintain a film.

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #23 - 10/24/14 at 13:03:15

I have Yamalube in it right now. I was gonna change it one more time with Yamalube then switch over. Only because I have half the jug left of oil.

I plan on using Shell Rotella T there after forever. Unless you think it would be best to use that immediately at the 1000mi oil change.

Wink
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #24 - 10/27/14 at 11:52:17

savskat, I'm down here in San Antonio.  If you want to meet somewhere in the middle some Sat or Sun, I could take a listen to your bike, go for a ride on some back roads, chew on some lunch, have a barley pop, what ever.  I'm out riding just about every Sat and Sun.
Let me know.  PM me,

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 10/27/14 at 20:04:42

I'd put the Rotella T in it and see if you notice a difference.. You can always use the Yammy lube later.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #26 - 10/27/14 at 20:29:55

Youz_guys has the same idea that I do.  I live in Killeen.  If you want to meet up sometime, go for a ride, talk about bikes, grab a burger or something just hit me up with a pm.  I'd love to go ride around Lake Travis, maybe hit up 2769.  There are lots of roads around Austin that I've wanted to cruise. Cool

FWIW, your idle sounds nice.  As for your "clack:"  I've previously played around doing 30mph in 5th gear, just seeing how the engine does under that load and giving it lots of throttle.  It kinda makes that same sound if I crack WOT.  If I had to guess without seeing it in person, I'd think it's related to the initial low idle and giving it throttle faster than the engine wants it.  I'd assume that this will change over the next few hundred miles.  Just my $0.02, YMMV

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #27 - 11/04/14 at 09:50:47

Hello everyone, sorry, been away from the forum this past week. youzguys & HondaLavis, I would totally be down for a meetup and cruise. Wish I had seen this before this weekend, just went on a ride with a new group of 10 bikers through the Hill Country on Sunday. It's always nice meeting new bikers. I'll shoot y'all a PM.

On the note of the Clack noise. Checked the valves at 1200 miles with the help of my motorcycle mechanic and valves all came out to .005 with slight drag on the gauge. I let him listen to the noise and he said "These engines just do that" and reassured me there wasn't any real concern. He said it was a rod making the noise. So I'm just gonna take everyone's advice and do my best to not let the engine make that noise and otherwise just ride it.

I am gonna put Rotella T in there once I get the chance to change the oil.

Thanks again for everyone's help.  Cheesy

Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:26:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine "Clack" noise - please help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.