Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine "Clack" noise - please help (Read 275 times)
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Engine "Clack" noise - please help
10/22/14 at 18:50:07

Hello Everyone,

So I'm having a bit of a scare right now. My bike has 920 miles on it, and I just noticed a "clack" noise while riding today. I'm sure part of all this should be expected, but it seems so...loud? or distinct? it's worrying me.

So what happened was, I was sitting at a stop light, engine at operating temp, light turns green, and I "dumped" about 1/4 throttle on it instantaneously. I would imagine that to a degree, some sort of different sound is normal but still, the first time I heard it, (I know it probably wasn't), but it sounded like a piston was tapping the valve, or hitting against it. I'm sure I'm being dramatic, but this is like an infant to me, a little cut would seem like a lost limb. When I got home, I made a video with my phone, I'm gonna put a link in this post. Listen for it right when I give it throttle, there are one or 2 distinct moments, 0:03 and 0:42 seemed to be them. Now, I think youtube's encryption, lowers the volume for the moments where the clack was, or maybe it was my phone, so it was actually a lot louder in person. I hope y'all are able to tell by the video what the noise is.

If this is something of concern, the bike is still under warranty and I would probably take it in to have it checked out.

Does anyone know if drilling out the little brass plug on the carb fuel/air screw "voids" warranty? I wouldn't want them to say "Oh you tampered with this plug, we can't help you."

If ANYONE, has any input on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://youtu.be/xfqLaXxBQ_M

Thanks a bunch!

-Devon

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Engine "Clack" noise during initial thro
Reply #1 - 10/22/14 at 19:27:19

It's not broken in yet. You need to rev it up a bit more before loading it up. Mine did that when it was new,too. Once you get some miles on it,the engine will free up some and you can pull away from a stop at a lower RPM but for now, don't sweat it, just use more RPM than you really want to to pull away from a stop. Don't let it make that noise. You're not gonna wreck the clutch, unless you have no clue how to use one and you've already demonstrated that you do... just get above the RPM that does that.. You are ahead of me, I had no one to give me a clue.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Engine "Clack" noise - please help
Reply #2 - 10/22/14 at 19:40:37

I know that sound, they all do it to some degree.
have you had your 1st valve adjust?

WWW   IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #3 - 10/22/14 at 19:42:03

It seems if I roll on real easy with the clutch disengaged it will slip past it without it clacking. I hope I haven't been doing it this whole time and never noticing it. Anyways...so just give it more throttle before engaging the clutch? (This is my 5th street bike so I'm well familiar with proper clutch use) Until it's broken in completely ,should remedy my issue? Typically around when will break in be completed?

So but I should worry too much then?

Thanks a bunch sir! You've help subside my mini-heart attack. Haha

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #4 - 10/22/14 at 19:44:39

verslagen1 wrote on 10/22/14 at 19:40:37:
I know that sound, they all do it to some degree.
have you had your 1st valve adjust?

No, I was told that valves shouldn't need adjusting in the first 1000miles.

Should I?

I'm about to do my 1000mi oil change.

Thanks!

Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/22/14 at 19:56:16

savskad wrote on 10/22/14 at 19:44:39:
No, I was told that valves shouldn't need adjusting in the first 1000miles.

Should I?

I'm about to do my 1000mi oil change.

Thanks!

shouldn't need and don't need are 2 different things.

should need any adjustment, but might.

there's a tech section thread on it.

if you got a clymers... there's an error thread too.

WWW   IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #6 - 10/22/14 at 20:11:58

I plan on hitting the tech section up. I try to use it as much as possible before posting a thread.

So were you advising AGAINST using a clymer? I was planning on buying one unless it's misleading.

Wink
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 10/22/14 at 20:23:59

Overall, it's a great manual.  There are some errors that have been found.  They are listed in the tech section so you can correct the errors in your manual.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 10/22/14 at 20:24:12

savskad wrote on 10/22/14 at 20:11:58:
I plan on hitting the tech section up. I try to use it as much as possible before posting a thread.

So were you advising AGAINST using a clymer? I was planning on buying one unless it's misleading.

No, he means GET a Clymers.... and READ the Clymer ERROR section on this site. The Clymers has several errors in print, these guru's have found and edited them.

And I am with the others.....don't tromp the throttle so fast then dump...ain't good for it.
At 960 miles on it, it is broken in, but its never healthy to a bike to tromp the throttle and pop the clutch.... you can do it, and the bike will jump to your command, but... it weights 400+ lbs, you weigh, well average male 175+, so you are trying to move 600+ lbs instantly.... parts is parts and they will eventually wear out.
Listen to a few more savages and s40's on the you tube... they sound just like yours.
Follow your manual for ALL adjustments until the warranty runs out, if you want to be safe

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #9 - 10/22/14 at 20:33:33

Then I will definitely be purchasing one. Yeah, I know its not good to dump the throttle and hammer right back on, when it happened the first time it was just at an idle speed. I just was doing that in the video to get it to make the noise. It happened a couple times on my way home from an idling RPM, after I noticed the initial occurrance.

Wink
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 10/22/14 at 20:33:33

Personally, I would let "them" do the first oil change as part of the warranty service. I feel you shouldn't touch the idle screw plug yet, I'm not in the US but I feel any large corporation will use any legal pin hole or pettiness to worm out of a warranty claim.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #11 - 10/22/14 at 21:03:53

jcstokes wrote on 10/22/14 at 20:33:33:
Personally, I would let "them" do the first oil change as part of the warranty service. I feel you shouldn't touch the idle screw plug yet, I'm not in the US but I feel any large corporation will use any legal pin hole or pettiness to worm out of a warranty claim.

I didn't,  not for the 600 mile oil change at least. I'll do the valves myself and the 1000 mile oil change myself as well.

As far as the brass plug goes, hopefully it won't be an issue in the event I take it in for warranty purposes. I think I'll leave the bike stock otherwise. I know what you mean about corporations.

Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/22/14 at 21:53:29

If your idle is a tiny bit low,... or your engine is stone cold,.. or you accidentally took off in second gear. . you can get a hard clack...
It is premature ignition...

A little more rev and smoother clutch release, will avoid it...

It's only when release drops revs so fast that spark happens ahead of TDC...
It's a temperment of big singles to do this...

Bid thumpers have a lot od character... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 10/22/14 at 22:51:05

I bought New,
Mine did that.
Wasn't valves.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #14 - 10/22/14 at 23:43:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/22/14 at 22:51:05:
I bought New,
Mine did that.
Wasn't valves.

To all who have contributed, I respectfully acknowledge your input. I am however clinging to justin o guy2's advice due to the fact I will be able to sleep at night with his advice. Otherwise I will stay up all night im stress about whether my thumper will live to see another 1000mi. But please,  don't hesitate to add, all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:20:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine "Clack" noise - please help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.