Send Topic Print
rear tire help (Read 109 times)
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

rear tire help
10/22/14 at 18:31:27

the tires on my savage are Dunlop. I found the D404 tires on bike bandit with a rebeat. will this size fit http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/dunlop-d404-motorcycle...

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: rear tire help
Reply #1 - 10/22/14 at 19:32:23

yup, those tires are all right.  140/90/15 fits fine.  Probably the most common size rear tire people run.    (Stock is an oddball 140/80/15 - too hard to find. )

you can put a "tubeless" tire on our rim, you just need to use a tube .  

(I have put 4 or 5 "tubeless" 140/90/15 rear tires on my '07 since the stock tire wore out)

If you have Dunlops on there now, check and see what size they are.  I think a lot of guys run D404s and 140-90 is probably as close as you can get.  

best practice is to get a new tube too, though i have reused tubes without incident

rebeats are fine, but i'd stay away from retreads Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/22/14 at 20:13:10

where can I get tubes at? theirs no Suzuki dealer around where I am in east Tennessee, also what is a good price range on the tubes

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 10/22/14 at 20:27:59

Get tubes from the same place you get tires.  You can get tubes at just about any motorcycle shop that sells tires if you don't want to order them along with the tires.  Your local shop will be happy to make the sale.

It's always nice to at least be acquainted with the local shops.  You might need them one day and you'll know who is good and who to stay away from.

The local guys have a pretty hard time of it in lots of places and deserve our support when we can give it to them.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 10/22/14 at 20:33:44

I always use the local shops for tires, i'm lazy that way. But really, it gives the locals business, and if you go there a couple times even if just to look and ask about a couple things, they will get to know you and probably cut you a deal or two.
I ended up with the 140/90 on my back because they had one in stock, it actually made my speedo almost spot on! it was running about 3mph slow.
I did not look at your year... but you might think about getting a new spoke protector also along with the tube and tire, might as well be safe.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/22/14 at 20:53:26

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/michelin-commander-ii-... I was also looking at these. a local shop quoted me front 120.97 and rear 179.97 and 68.00 per tire to change to bring the bike in. I was going to get the tires on line then just have them change them and rotate and balance. probably just do the front one first then back one later

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 10/23/14 at 20:22:03

old_rider wrote on 10/22/14 at 20:33:44:
but you might think about getting a new spoke protector also along with the tube and tire, might as well be safe.

Good advice if you think you can afford an extra $2-3!  Grin

I just had to replace a flat rear tire due to the rim strip snapping causing the spokes to puncture the tube.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/24/14 at 07:31:20

OK what kind of tubes should I get and can I get the spoke protector online as well?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/24/14 at 07:44:00

Let the installer choose the correct tubes, and buy from them... that way, if they pinch a tube on installation, they will be responsible...

Heavy duty tubes are a waste on a street bike,... as if you get a flat, it will be from a nail, screw, or piece of metal... not a thorn...

Do ask for a 90' valve stem on the rear (mounted brakeside).. it will makes air checks much easier...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear tire help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.