Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clutch arm has no tension. (Read 159 times)
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Clutch arm has no tension.
Reply #15 - 10/23/14 at 08:46:07

Just thinking, here.

Is it possible that the free movement you see is just slack in the clutch arm and the end of free travel is when the all the slack is taken out and the work of disengaging the clutch starts?  

I don't think you can disengage the clutch by pushing on the clutch arm by hand. It's too stiff.

Have you hooked up the clutch cable, adjusted it correctly and then tried to pull the clutch in with the handlebar lever?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 10/23/14 at 08:54:15

bobert might be onto something.

When the cover is on....and you gently push the lever up there will be some movement.  The clutch lever should stop somewhere between the two marks cast into the engine block.  At that point you will need to put a wrench on the lever to allow you to move the clutch lever against the force of the springs.  When you gently push the lever up....it should be between these 2 marks.

Short_rod1.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Josh Talley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 10/23/14 at 09:09:25

You guys are exactly right. You can see my inexperience with this. The only problem I'm seeing now is adjusting the cable correctly. Seems as if I have to have the cable tensioned all the way but I'll keep messing with it. Thanks guys I really appreciate the help.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 10/23/14 at 10:49:31

Adjusting the cable is not a problem.  Install the cable, and move the adjuster at the handlebars a few turns form being all the way in.....to allow yourself some room for adjustment at the handlebars.  Then move the adjustment nuts on the bottom of the cable to provide just a small amount of movement at the lever.....a little slack in the cable so that all of the spring pressure of the clutch is working on the clutch plates...and not the cable.  You want to be able to see just a small amount of movement at the clutch lever before you feel the pull on the clutch springs engage.

Also remember.....both adjusting nuts on the bottom of the cable are on top of the bracket.  Do not put one on top and one on the bottom - some have made that mistake and broken the engine case.....that is a really bad thing.

Don't pay any attention to the red arrow in this photo....it was the only photo of the clutch cable I could find.

cable.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 10/23/14 at 11:28:18

Ah see,.. now all I can see is that giant red arrow... Shocked...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Josh Talley
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 10/23/14 at 12:10:00

Thanks for that. The guy that ran the cable had the two nuts separated just like you said so I'll go fix that. Thanks again.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #21 - 10/23/14 at 12:55:33

Congrats on a successful first-time clutch repack!!

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 10/24/14 at 09:58:04

Im VERY pleased that someone came up with the answer,,, I apologize for adding confusion,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 03:29:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch arm has no tension.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.