Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Diagnosing backfire/loss of power (Read 168 times)
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Re: Diagnosing backfire/loss of power
Reply #15 - 10/28/14 at 16:13:10

My bike starts up normally.  I'm pretty sure I hear the click of the decomp when it starts.  Can I safely rule this out as the cause of my backfire problems?

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 10/29/14 at 09:01:57

It truly does sound like you need to do a complete harness look over, meticulously.... starting from the headlight innards all the way back....and down.
If your lights are dimming even in the least.... there is a short somewhere, or the ground wire is broken in half somewhere.

But is does sound like a short in the fire circuit, if it is cutting off for a second and taking your fire, then coming back and firing non-spent fuel, in your exhaust (ever see your exhaust pipe in the dark from the back? its cherry red in there) and making it backfire.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #17 - 11/04/14 at 07:02:12

Hey, I'm back to resurrect my thread Smiley

I've looked over the wiring harness closely but not with a multimeter.  I didn't see anything that was obviously broken.  I cleaned all the connections.

I think it may just be a carburetion issue.  I went for a ride this morning while it was chilly outside (50F).  I rode normally first and had quite a bit of power loss but not really the same kind where it wouldn't fire for whole seconds at a time.  It was more like just weakness and a little popping/crackling and some hesitation.  

After that I shoved a sock around my cone air filter to reduce the air flow.  The weakness went away almost entirely and the crackling was reduced.  

Since putting new jets in is way easier than testing the entire wiring harness with a multimeter I think I'll try that first.

Right now I've got stock muffler and a cone filter.  Everything inside my carb is stock for an 86 and I've already got my mix screw out 3 to 4 turns.  Which jets should I replace and for what size?

Thanks!!!

Also: I got very little oil out when I changed it last.  How do I know what state my piston rings are in and should I even be driving it at all? I know I was pretty rough on the engine when it was running.

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #18 - 11/04/14 at 17:08:36

you really need to do the cone filter AND put bigger jets on at the SAME time.
If you suck in more air you are going to need more fuel.
If you put on an external air filter, a larger exhaust and don't ad bigger jets, your fuel to air ratio is going to make your bike run like crap.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #19 - 11/10/14 at 14:43:19

Hey just posting once more to let you guys know that I got everything figured out.  I found about 3 places with exposed wire and covered them up.  I also put in a bigger pilot jet.  Everything is running smoothly now.

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 01:17:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Diagnosing backfire/loss of power

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.