Send Topic Print
Is it time? (Read 120 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Is it time?
10/20/14 at 03:05:29

A month or so I met this fella in Portland Or that had recently purchased a LS650 and it has a total of 4,000 miles on it when today he told me he traded it in on a brand new 900cc Triumph Bonneville because he has had nothing but trouble with the Suzuki. Still on warranty and been in the shop several times. Last straw was the other day when he found out it has a blown head gasket.  Yet my bike which is a 02,  bought new in late 2003 off the show room floor. I am now just 200 miles from reaching 55,000 miles and my bike has yet to see a repair shop and in fact it has never broken down on me once since I have had it. It still runs as good as new and it actually looks better than it did when it was brand new.  Altho it did not need it, I changed the cam chain at 33,000 miles just because it was a long winter and I was bored. It has no oil leaks and you could wipe a white glove over any part of the engine and frame and it would come off clean. I have ridden it across at least 15 states and longest ride was a little over 7,000 miles in one month. Portland Or to Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, South Dakota, Montana and Washington on the return. Well today a guy offered me $2,500 for my bike. He thought it was brand new. With this many miles, should I do it?  Like I said, other than basic maintenance and tires, it still runs like a clock. I would like to do one more cross country trip at least in my life and just do not know if this single cylinder will hold up another 25,000 or so. I would consider doing the Versy mod if I decide to keep it because all this talk of cam chains breaking scares me. I detect no ticking from the clutch cover so I presume it is still fine but maybe I am pushing my luck. If I decide to sell it I have chose either the Bolt or The kawasaki 650 that I saw in here the other day as a replacement.  I keep going back to the  Kaw pic. Love that bike! So is it time to sell the Savage because of the high miles? $2,500 is alot of money for a used high mileage Savage. It would be like selling one of my family members. What would you do? In fact, if you would consider buying one of my family members, the choice would be easy. I could have the Kaw and afford to keep my Savage also!

Black 02, 54,800 miles, Lancers high performance cam, rejetted, Supertrapp muffler. Looks like new. Polished engine covers. I am going to finally post a pic of me and my bike this week About time. been a member in here since 03.

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Re: Is it time?
Reply #1 - 10/20/14 at 06:03:24

stinger wrote on 10/20/14 at 03:05:29:
I could have the Kaw and afford to keep my Savage also!

That would be my vote. If the Savage ends up just taking up space, then consider selling it. I very seldom experience buyer's remorse when purchasing something I really want. Seller's remorse can be just as bad. I think you'd miss the light weight and easy handling of the Savage. As far as your memories you've created on the bike, you'll still have them whether you sell it or not.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/20/14 at 06:12:00

Agreed, if you can afford to keep both and have the space do it!  If you feel the Kawasaki is what you NEED but have to sell the LS650 do do it, well that's a much more difficult decision  Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 10/20/14 at 11:00:23

It is always difficult to decide of getting rid of something that done you so well and keeps doing it.
Over the years I have had several motorcycles I kept because they were my faithful steeds and good memories were made.
Only thing is.... once you get more than two.... you start neglecting them and let them go a bit at a time.
But with two, you could still ride it around town and let it stretch its legs a little.
However, if you enjoy the new bike enough, it will not hurt to let go of the older one.
So, my suggestion is, if you can afford the new one, and want or need it and have the capability to store and own two bikes, DO IT.
Set one up for the road, and one to tool around to the hardware store or once in a while to just go for short jaunts.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 10/20/14 at 11:41:19

If I were you I would keep the savage and explore the other options.  More than likely it won't cost to much to maintain it moving forward.  I probably wouldn't take a multi-state journey on a 10+ year old single; although, that's just me.

If you want to sell it to that fella, just be honest with him.  Bad karma may be around the corner. Shocked

JMHO

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 10/20/14 at 17:58:30

How's its oil consumption. If it's normal for a Savage and you can afford to keep it do so if you feel it's like selling one of your family. I guess it depends on how bad you want $2500.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/20/14 at 23:20:40

Phhhhht, blown head gasket..
Who says?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 10/21/14 at 13:00:06

Like was posted recently in another thread, we have yet to see a real blown head gasket.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/21/14 at 21:51:22

If it's running like it did before the oil leak showed up,the head gasket is fine..it's a rubber plug in the head.. every time,for the 8 years I've been here. If he's having a bad time with it,I'll bet it is the fault of the mechanic,not the bike. I've never seen anyone get a lemon. Unless it's been abused,low RPM idle speed,run low on oil,.needs a Raptor petcock or has a leaky exhaust,wrong jets,,, valves not right,, but,I'd need to see the list of complaints,, and know more about the owner.Till they,I'm believing the bike is simple to get running right and made dependable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/23/14 at 03:54:10

Youzguys has over 100,000 miles on his bike, and the cylinder head has never been off.  Maintenance items like cam chains and clutch plates have been replaced.   His bike is still reliable.

Based on the care and maintenance you have done, I would suspect your bike will be reliable as well.  There is talk that the Stator gets old and fails eventually, and it might not hurt to have some spare parts if you go on a long trip just in case.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 02:44:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Is it time?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.