Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 31
Send Topic Print
Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015 (Read 4598 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015
10/18/14 at 22:29:07

I will be coming this year, let's start planning.

who's in?

« Last Edit: 11/04/14 at 04:02:55 by Dave »  
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Dragon Run, Summer, 2015
Reply #1 - 10/19/14 at 04:01:52

I am in.....pencil in a date and location.

We had talked in another thread about maybe changing the date to avoid the local Rainy Season.  Last year was June 18th to June 22nd and we started out dry and then the last 3 days was really wet.  MM and I talked to a local resident and they commented that June was a really wet month in that area.

The first event that year was at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground and we rode around that area and found some great roads.

MMRanch, his brother Kent and I scheduled a second ride for August 28, 29, 30, and the weather was really nice. (We had one short daytime shower and one overnight on Saturday).  The Deals Gap Resort had a Wounded Warrior Benefit bike ride, motorcycle show, and group ride.  I checked their website and 2015 is not listed - but Labor Day weekend is September 7th in 2015....which is a week later than 2014.  The roads on that weekend were really not very crowded, I guess family types were doing other things that weekend.

I am definitely up for 2 events again this year....with the second one being the Labor Day weekend ride at the Deals Gap Resort.

So.....is this the planning thread for the first one?

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/19/14 at 06:22:07

Yep, first trip for 2015 -- Verslagen will be there, me, Dave, MM -- we have enough folks to declare the trip.

Well, let's try to avoid the rain.   The two places we stay have known weather patterns based on historical data, so lets try using that to pick a time to go.

http://www.usa.com/waynesville-nc-weather.htm

http://www.usa.com/robbinsville-nc-weather.htm

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 10/19/14 at 07:45:36

Your Right-on as usual OldFeller .  

I am definitely up for 2 events again this year....with the second one being the Labor Day weekend ride at the Deals Gap Resort.

Was it Labor Day when the Wounded Warrior Ride was ?   It was a Fun Day when ever it was !   Smiley

My place is : ONE EASY DAYS' RIDE FROM DRAGON CENTRAL , so , Anybody who needs to can use my place as a staging (over night spot) on the way there.    Like ... ridding in from Texas , Oklahoma , etc.  Cool

« Last Edit: 10/19/14 at 12:17:05 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 10/19/14 at 14:20:04

I am interested if I am able to get away, that is busy time of the year for me at work.  

I went through that area this summer and really enjoyed it.   Wink

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/21/14 at 09:02:08

MM, I see you have invited us all to stop by your place on the way in and ride in to the Dragon together.  That is very kindly of you.   I know Verslagen will have been driving for days from the way way west (and he might even be stopping in Oklahoma & picking up Lancer on the way).   This would allow him to dump off some stuff perhaps and mebbe just ride the bike in the rest of the way (assuming we are getting a room with beds that is).

If so, I'd be up for showing up at your house a few days early and doing a little lead bullet shooting together as a precursor to the main Dragon trip.   Got me some lead slinging stuff you'd be interested in, I think.   I know you like casting your own, and so do I.  

We'd make you wife get creative about where we go out to eat again, of course.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 10/21/14 at 12:53:50

Yes, I definitely would like to make it this year.
Versy, we have a REAL bed for visitors now; 2 actually, so you have a choice.  You can sleep on the north end or the south end.  Yep.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/21/14 at 13:28:18

Good, I'll try to get in a little earlier this time.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 10/21/14 at 20:21:18

verslagen1 wrote on 10/21/14 at 13:28:18:
Good, I'll try to get in a little earlier this time.

Okie dokie

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 10/22/14 at 02:28:52

Has Versy or Lancer ever seen any of the new roads around Blue Ridge?   Curvy Hwy 32 or any of the new loops on that side?   Has Versy ever even seen the Blue Ridge Campgrounds?

Boys, we can promise you some goooood new roads .....   complete with a little country store at the end of Hwy 32 where you can sit down, rest and drink a drink and get your mojo back after doing the 30 miles of Dragon sharp turns.

I like MM's farm, and will go up a little early so we can screw around a bit with some little lead pills before the trip proper even starts.

As always, the biggest issue with the early summer run is dodging the rain clouds.  Picking when to go is going to be the challenge for this year as Dave and MM have gotten wetted some on the last couple of trips.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 10/22/14 at 08:32:45

I don't like to get wet out of the shower !   Angry

As always, the biggest issue with the early summer run is dodging the rain clouds.  Picking when to go is going to be the challenge for this year as Dave and MM have gotten wetted some on the last couple of trips.

But after being "Grounded" all winter , I'll be willing to risk it !  Roll Eyes

OldFeller
I like to cut the Hay Field about the first or second week of June , that means from the middle of May it is tall and hard to see a target in.   But the RF (100 yds) never get so grown up that a weedeater can't knock out in 30 minutes (its where the cows live).

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/22/14 at 09:08:59

Looking at those precipitation numbers.....the number of days per month of 0.1 inches or more varies from 5 - 9 days each month.  That really isn't a huge swing.....and although June may be the wettest month.....it isn't always a wash out.

I don't mind an occasional shower when on the Cafe' bike - but a couple of times it sure felt like I was in the "survival" mode last June.  We got into the clouds, we got into the rain, I had on a dark tinted visor, and I had my helmet vents closed and my shield was fogging up.  I have decided the tinted visor is no longer an option when I am apt to get caught in bad weather or might come home after dark.

Pick a convenient date, make plans, and I will most likely choose which bike to bring based on the weather forecast.

Dave  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 10/22/14 at 10:05:14

MMRanch wrote on 10/22/14 at 08:32:45:
OldFeller
I like to cut the Hay Field about the first or second week of June.

Smiley

Since the month of June is "as good as any" and the hayfield has to be cut anyway before MM can go out to play we got the approximate month for the trip with us showing up at MM's place starting sometimes after the 13th.

Now we need to tie down the duration of the trip and location of the mountain place we are staying.

Versy, you and Lancer are the ones coming from afar, how long will you be here before you have to turn around and go back?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/22/14 at 12:21:57

For now lets say I'm in for 2 weeks,
2min days travel there and 2min days back, a week and a half there.

It will depend on dog/turtle/house sitters availability.
The L with work.   Wink

Schedule is flexible, seniority has it's perks, just got to make sure no deadlines near then.

I only did a little black lining around the dragon, so I'm open to whatever you guys come up with.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 10/22/14 at 19:56:05

Well, that gives you three days coming in, a week at the Dragon area and then 3 days going back.   That is plenty of trip for everybody.   Some of us will just have to plan to hit the bits we like best with the limited days we can take off from work.

Do you want to camp in a tent for $12 a night or do you want to split a cabin with a bed for $15-$23 a night or do you want to share a 7 man apartment at the Dragon Lodge for $25-$30 a night (assuming we can fill it up)?

I like the Blue Ridge place for cabins w/beds and relatively nicer, quieter more civilized people.  Dave and MM plan to come back at Labor day and hit the Dragon Lodge, so they can get their Dragon fix on that trip.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 31
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 20:12:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Run #1, Summer, 2015

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.