Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New oil leak? (Read 185 times)
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
New oil leak?
10/18/14 at 09:12:44

The other day I noticed fresh oil on the ribs of the cyllinder, and I thought it must be the beginning of the oil plug leak.. But it didn't make sense since it was only on the left side, and more of the rear than the front.. then I noticed it was coming from the head bolt underneath the intake rubber? It's the small head bolt that protrudes into the intake canal. I can't seem to figure out how oil could come from there, since the other end of this bolt is threaded into the cyllinder head, right above the head gasket..

Any thoughts?

DSC01233.JPG
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Re: New oil leak?
Reply #1 - 10/18/14 at 10:16:15

seems to have blown a gasket under the cylinder head... Sad

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/18/14 at 10:50:24

Try just pulling that nut, and putting a small dab of RTV under it, then re-tighten...
They do tend to weep a little...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #3 - 10/18/14 at 11:04:21

I did plan on just wiping off the oil and retighten the bolt.. But im kinda worried about where the oil is coming from? Because the only place the bolts "path" is leading to, are the combustion chamber..? And if it's coming from in there, it means the headgasket is half blown, and at the same time, oil shouldn't come from in there..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/18/14 at 12:50:58

Michael L wrote on 10/18/14 at 11:04:21:
I did plan on just wiping off the oil and retighten the bolt.. But im kinda worried about where the oil is coming from? Because the only place the bolts "path" is leading to, are the combustion chamber..? And if it's coming from in there, it means the headgasket is half blown, and at the same time, oil shouldn't come from in there..

nope, not coming from there, it coming from the oil feed line to the head.
you got a little leak there, nothing to be overly concerned about.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/18/14 at 13:46:47

All the previous times that this issue has come up, it has been resolved by taking the nut off, cleaning the threads, applying a little sealant, and installing the nut again.

Don't sweat it....simple problem....simple fix.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #6 - 10/19/14 at 03:48:10

thanks guys, I'll apply some sealant to that nut.. Will oil begin to float out from there once I take off that nut?

Verslagen, can you educate me, where does this oil passage run from? I've been looking at various pictures of the head and cyllinder, and I can't figure out where it runs..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/19/14 at 04:08:09

The top of that stud is open to the oil that is splashing around up in the cam tower.....it is being thrown around by the cam, rockers and valves.  I believe the oil that pools in that are gradually seeps down the top of the stud, and eventually seeps out the bottom nut.

A small dab of sealer should be installed on that stud when it is screwed into the head......before the head is bolted onto the cylinder during assembly.

Dave

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #8 - 10/19/14 at 06:04:42

Dave, I thought about that too, but it doesn't go all the way up to the inside of the head, it only slightly protrudes inside of the intake flange on the head

Untitled_001.png
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/19/14 at 08:40:04

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/22/14 at 13:18:32

Yea...I forgot that thing stuck up into the exhaust port.  Then the oil and goo is just "stuff" that comes from the engine when it is first started and cold.  Exhaust condensation, unburned fuel, etc.

Just take the nut and washer off, clean and seal it....problem gone.

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #11 - 10/23/14 at 09:55:37

No not exhaust, it goes up into the intake port. I think verslagen might be right about it being an oil canal from the crankcase up to the head, that goes through the same hole in the cyllinder as this bolt stud.

Verslagen, that was what you meant right?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 10/23/14 at 10:15:19

Michael L wrote on 10/23/14 at 09:55:37:
No not exhaust, it goes up into the intake port. I think verslagen might be right about it being an oil canal from the crankcase up to the head, that goes through the same hole in the cyllinder as this bolt stud.

Verslagen, that was what you meant right?

Yep, if it leaks there it just spreads out to any bolt in the head.
I might worry about it if you use conventional oil.
but even then it'll seal the leak sooner or later.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/23/14 at 10:35:34

Sorry.....I was looking at the wrong side of the head....I wondered why his exhaust port was so darn clean!  From the color of the drippage it could be a combination of a lot of things.  Fuel that settles on the side of the intake port during a cold start or when the engine is turned off, some oil spray coming from the crankcase breather hose that goes to the airbox....or maybe from a seep in the head gasket (I really doubt that one as there is an oblong rubber O-ring on that stud).  Does the owner use the fuel enrichment knob for an extended period?

Still......this leak has been noticed before, and they all have been resolved by taking the nut off, cleaning the parts up, and putting a bit of sealant on and tightening the nut.

Has there been any attempt to try cleaning and sealing the leak yet?

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #14 - 10/24/14 at 08:08:25

Dave, by enrichment knob you mean the choke right ? No, I only use the choke for about half a minute when warming up the engine..
I haven't tried to seal the leak yet, but I will later today..

I have been changing the oil, and at the same time I took a look at the cam chain adjuster to see where it's at.. It sticks out 17 mm, maybe between 17 and 18 even, so im guessing it would be the best choice to make the adjuster mod now..??? The bike has 16000 km. on the clock, isn't it a little too soon that it sticks out this much?

I was thinking, if you were to make the adjuster mod before the max of 18+ mm was reached, would that make the chain too tight? Im wondering how much it sticks out on a brand new engine, and if it's possible to make it too tight when doing the mod.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:32:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New oil leak?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.