Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pay to drive by mileage! (Read 92 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pay to drive by mileage!
10/18/14 at 08:32:41

There is one thing I like about becoming an old man, I can now complain about everything, people almost expect it.

So now we have mileage based tax.  Well, I think this idea sucks.  Oregon wants 1.5 cents per mile.  So a little 100 mile ride will cost you $1.50.  I don't like it and if they use some GPS system it will likely also give them the means of tracking your travel.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/california-readies-pay-as-you-drive-tax-
test-175305098.html

Sure they say it will reduce gasoline tax, improve road maintenance etc. but I don't believe it.  It will just be an extra tax that goes into the general fund where they will waste it as they please.  And if one state does it, the others will follow.  What do you think?

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Pay to drive by mileage!
Reply #1 - 10/18/14 at 09:11:49

Gas tax is fairer...  Big gas guzzlers tear up roads much more than a little Savage...
A mileage based tax will equate mopeds with Hummers...

STUPID...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/18/14 at 09:12:54

What's your problem? They done TOLD you it'll work out,saving you money.. You don't believe them? I say there is a mileage tax now.. IF you're a penny pinching guy, you're going to have efficient transportation. They are lighter and do less damage..
If they need more$$$$ to get the road in shape, Jack the tax/gallon up..
This is a smokescreen, unless they accept odometer readings, it's a tracking thing. Eventually,if this flies,what's to keep them from being able to send you a speeding ticket in the mail? If they get to put a GPS in your car, they know way too much.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 10/18/14 at 12:39:00

Bad idea, if anything they should tax by vehicle weight and motor mpg..... not by following your every move, kinda unconstitutional isn't it?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 10/18/14 at 19:16:38

Registration used to be variable, weight and value,then, tax on the gas...
It's not hard.. For hybrids,odometer reading.. or simply a higher registration fee.. it's not about the roads,it's about control/tracking..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #5 - 10/18/14 at 20:39:38

I remember hearing about this back when I was still in high school.  I still don't think it would ever work.

What if you just leave it at home?  How can they prove you aren't using it? Just tell them you ride your bicycle everywhere or take public transportation.  Grin

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 10/19/14 at 08:59:36

Oregon is a very progressive state........

They are still trying to expand on programs that will feed the coffers so they can provide a life to its citizenry.

The one hurdle they have yet neglected to address is that they themselves, are the cause of all their failed policies, due to inefficiency of accountability.

This does not even take into account the emotional toll of dependency, which is a whole udder issue  Cheesy

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/19/14 at 09:21:36

Progressive insurance has been running a pilot program for a while. You can let them put a little module in your car that monitors your speed,I'm sure it's tracking position,which means miles traveled are known.. You get a DisCount!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #8 - 10/19/14 at 13:27:51

But, that's voluntary.  You can choose to let them snoop or not. This tax by the mile thing isn't. You either pay up or don't move.

What happened to our right to free and unrestricted travel.  That's gone if you have to pay by the mile to get the government to let you go somewhere.

And, what's to do about mileage outside of that state and its jurisdiction? They have no authority over anything that goes on outside of that state's borders. Honestly, I only put on 103 miles in the state this year, the other 18,000 were in other parts of the country.

Does this mileage tax go for bicycles and horse drawn carriages too? What about farm equipment?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 10/19/14 at 14:26:38

The folks who promote these kind of schemes are not motivated by a desire to simply raise money to maintain/improve the highway system. Their real mindset and motivation is much more sinister than just a desire to squeeze more $$ out of the sheeple. What they're ultimately  aiming at is this:

"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live—did live, from habit that became instinct—in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized."

George Orwell -"1984"

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 10/19/14 at 16:24:33

Steve H wrote on 10/19/14 at 13:27:51:
But, that's voluntary.  You can choose to let them snoop or not. This tax by the mile thing isn't. You either pay up or don't move.

What happened to our right to free and unrestricted travel.  That's gone if you have to pay by the mile to get the government to let you go somewhere.

And, what's to do about mileage outside of that state and its jurisdiction? They have no authority over anything that goes on outside of that state's borders. Honestly, I only put on 103 miles in the state this year, the other 18,000 were in other parts of the country.

Does this mileage tax go for bicycles and horse drawn carriages too? What about farm equipment?

Yes, thats voluntary. AND it is a beta test to see how many are WILLING to go along.. Until people see behind the curtain, things happen right inb front of them and they do not grasp the significance.
The other day a news program was running as I walked thru the house. The report was
Ten Milion times the word ebola has been tweeted in the last X number of days..

REally? How do they KNOW that unless someone is watching?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 22:29:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Pay to drive by mileage!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.