Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Looking for feedback from the experienced crew (Read 158 times)
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Looking for feedback from the experienced crew
10/17/14 at 18:43:09

Does this look like a pretty good deal on a tank in good shape?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381012645438?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=...

I need one asap.

Thanks,

Dominick

WWW   IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Looking for feedback from the experienced crew
Reply #1 - 10/17/14 at 18:49:57

expensive...

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 10/17/14 at 18:55:01

So what's the retail from a stealer/dealer, what would a good shop charge to repair yours? Assuming you don't want to treat it with sealer.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #3 - 10/17/14 at 18:56:50

I've got an 03 and the purple tank is over $500 from the parts houses.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/17/14 at 20:42:47

i'd take this one... 1 small dent... $60

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-Suzuki-S40-Boulevard-LS650-650-FUEL-GAS-PETRO-TANK...

but it's up to you... with a speedo and cap you can sell the other one's not bad.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 10/17/14 at 23:42:54

Check the screws on the cap

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 10/18/14 at 05:25:28

Unless they figured out how to remove the decals without hurting the paint.(Decals are under the clearcoat)It has been repainted..Who knows what's under that paint.Could be perfect.....or not.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 10/19/14 at 03:58:27

Do you have a California bike? Their tanks have an additional vent that you would have to plug, and you couldn't use the gas cap.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 10/19/14 at 04:03:28

Demin wrote on 10/18/14 at 05:25:28:
Unless they figured out how to remove the decals without hurting the paint.(Decals are under the clearcoat)It has been repainted..Who knows what's under that paint.Could be perfect.....or not.

I bought a tank that looked too good to be true- and it was. There was a dent that had been filled under the paint. I bought another one and it arrived with a big dent in it from shipping.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/19/14 at 08:13:45

Youd be surprised at how nice people CAN be to a young fella in a bind.. ask for help with your tank.. make a few calls, tell them youll wash rinse dry and prep if theyll A Make sure YOUR prep makes it safe and
B,, braze it up..,Its like solder, only takes more heat and instead of lead and tin its brass.. It stays,, Thats how old frames on bicycles were done, I had one, It stayed together,, and I put it thru higher G turns than anything Ive been on,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #10 - 10/19/14 at 08:36:37

Thanks!

My new plan is to buy cheap, not leaking, used tank so that I can get back on the road.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191376660841?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=...

Then I am going to do all of the prep work and call around to find someone to weld/braze the original tank.

I've got the Savage "bug" now and was thinking about building a bobber. I guess I'll be one fuel tank closer. Once I get my original patched up and back on the bike, I think I am going to sandblast and clear coat the raw steel on the used tank.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions!

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/19/14 at 10:32:13

Is that rust I see just inside the gas cap hole?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #12 - 10/24/14 at 18:10:14

Hey,

Thanks to everyone for the input!

I received my new used tank today, put on a new Raptor petcock, put everything back together and IT WORKS!!!

Thanks for the tank you suggested Verslagen.

There was the slightest bit of rust just inside the neck but the inside of the tank looked great and the dent actually doesn't look as bad in person as it did in the photographs.

Now to prep and weld my original tank.

I'M BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN!!! Smiley

BlueTank.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/24/14 at 18:19:20

How are you gonna prep it?

IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #14 - 10/24/14 at 18:27:26

I'm going to follow this advice that Dave gave me in my post: GasTankLeaking

If there is a leak at the back mount - it is a vibration/stress crack and it will not stop cracking unless you weld it.  The bad thing about this kind of crack is that it can be located under the mount, and the only way to get to it is by carefully grinding away the welds and removing the mount.

Getting motorcycle tanks safe to weld is not a big deal, they are small and don't have any baffles to keep them from drying well.  On the first day that you can work on it in the morning, and the sun will be out.....Drain the tank and shake out all the gas you can.  Then use some full strength Purple Power or a similar degreaser mixed with an equal amount of really hot water....about a quart will do it.....and shake it around really well.  Then dump that out and rinse with some really hot water.  Then blow it out as best you can with an air compressor....it will likely flash rust (we can fix that during the coating process).  The set the tank out in the sun to dry.  At the end of the day pick up the tank, put your nose to the filler neck, and most likely you will not smell any fuel.  If you have an aquarium pump they work great for supplying a small amount of air flow while the tank airs out.

Then you most likely will have to cut the mount off, fix the crack, and weld the mount back on.

I would then coat the tank as a precaution.....Here is the link for cleaning and you need to do some of this before the coating process.  
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1386849349

My current favorite coating is the epoxy coating from Caswell Plating.  Be sure to use it when the temperature and tank is warm - the stuff is really thick when cold and hard to get spread out all over the tank.  The Caswell is an epoxy and most likely the most durable of any coatings.  My next favorite is POR15, it has a nice silver color and sets up using moisture from the air....an aquarium pump really speeds up the curing process.  The stuff like Cream and other white coatings have a acetone base....and Caswell and POR15 are far more durable.

You may want to buy or borrow a spare tank to use while you get this work done.....it will take a few days to clean, weld and coat.

Dave

I going to go find the link for the cleaning and coating the tank.      

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:37:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking for feedback from the experienced crew

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.