Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Goodbye to Sarah
10/17/14 at 09:40:12

We knew that this day would come - but it is never easy when it does.  Our 16 year old Black and Tan coonhound has reached the point where we need to say Goodbye.

She has been a part of our family for nearly all of our married life.  She has been a wonderful companion, guardian of the house when we are not home, and a play pal to our cat.  Sarah was easy going, laid back, and as kind and gentle as they come, and she has never started fight - but she wouldn't back down from a fight and was able to defend herself when she needed to and never came out of the fight a loser.  She has traveled with us and was always a welcome guest at other folks homes, we have gone camping, canoeing, hiking....to family reunions....she was family!

She was unbelievable trusting, and would do anything I asked her to.  She really didn't like being in the water, and one day we were swimming in the pond and she was hanging around on the edge.  I had a big piece of styrofoam left over from our house construction, and I floated it up to the bank and asked Sarah to get on.  She walked onto the styrofoam and I floated it out into the water.  She just stood there calm as can be....and even repeated it later in the day so we could take this photograph of Sarah on her "iceberg"!

Our cat absolutely adores Sarah, and from the first day the 80 pound Sarah could play gently with the 10 week old kitten.  Whenever the cat sees Sarah he runs up and greets her.

Sure.....Sarah had an issue occasionally....just like any family member.  Her right ear was a constant battle to keep from getting an infection, and it is a battle that we never really won.  Sometimes she would drool without boundaries - but she had a couple of acres of underground fence boundary area and we could evict her from the house when the salivary glands were hyperactive.

It is a sad day in our lives - but Sarah has given all the love she can, and has even provided us years of "bonus time".  Her breed is only supposed to live 10 years, and all her siblings passed away years ago.

She is going to be missed.....she was a big part of our family.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Goodbye to Sarah
Reply #1 - 10/17/14 at 09:44:12

Sorry to hear/read about your loss.

That was a very touching tribute to such a good friend.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #2 - 10/17/14 at 09:52:29

Sorry to hear it. It's never easy to lose a pet that's become like family.

IP Logged
Grotsmack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/17/14 at 10:12:58

I too, feel for your loss. Our own Buster is coming upon those days, and my good buddy Charlie is not far behind him. I know when their time comes I will be a wreck, because they are family. These dogs are my "furry sons" and will be horribly missed. I pray your pain will be at ease my friend.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 10/17/14 at 10:31:23

Sorry for your loss, Dave.  

Had 4 inside dogs at one point and I understand how they quickly become family members and not just yard pets. I'm certain that she lived a good life with you all.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/17/14 at 10:51:37

stewmills wrote on 10/17/14 at 10:31:23:
I'm certain that she lived a good life with you all.

We did our best to be worthy.  She may be the only Coondog that would heal without a leash when we went on nightly walks, and we even got her a cat so she could have a pet of her own!

Sarah even had a limited modeling career....and is a "cover dog"! for a local band called "The Back Porch Hounds".
http://www.thebackporchhounds.com/index

Some of the photos I posted I got from their website.....I just didn't seem to take many photos of Sarah that turned out well.  It is hard to photograph a dog that is mostly black, and have it turn out looking like anything more than an ink blot.

Thanks for all you support.

Dave

Sarah2.jpg

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/17/14 at 10:59:46

If you are truly blessed, you are allowed to experience this kind of friendship. I am not able to imagine a home without a loyal animal.

Best Regards

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
GBG

'06 S40. Stock plus
saddlebags.

Cincinnati, OH
Reply #7 - 10/17/14 at 11:15:08

Sorry to read this, Dave. In my 36 years on this earth I've been fortunate enough to have two dogs who spanned a total of 28. It's been two years since I lost my Lola, and I still step over the spot where she should be laying.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/17/14 at 11:18:35

One Christmas we were visiting family, and Sarah always came along for the long weekend as they live 300 miles away.  She could stay in the house with us if she wanted, or go outside as they had the same Pet Safe fence as we use at home.

One evening we were all sitting inside and my sister had her Cocker Spaniel in her lap, my niece had her little long haired Dachschund in her lap, and most likely somebody had a cat in their lap.  My wife and I were sitting on a narrow couch that only had room for us side by side...and Sarah came up and stood there staring at us.  This was not normal for her, and it sometimes was hard to tell exactly what she wanted.....but I motioned that she could come up on our laps....and she surprised us all by climbing up and laying down across both our laps.  I guess she wanted to show the other dogs that she had a couple laps of her own when she needed them!  She was never a lap dog.....except that one special time.  

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 10/17/14 at 12:27:43

I didn't know her, but I can say is that she definitely has good taste in beer (e.g. look in the background).  My favorite  Wink

Capture.JPG

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 10/17/14 at 12:43:41

Got a little tear in my eye as I send this, Dave.
You had a very special gift for a while there.  It's obvious Sarah was loved (and still is) as much as she loved you.  Our pup is almost 12 now and starting to have some health issues so I've had to think of life without Jack sometime in the future, and it's not an easy thought.

I'll raise a glass to your family this evening.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/17/14 at 14:54:28

stewmills wrote on 10/17/14 at 12:27:43:
I didn't know her, but I can say is that she definitely has good taste in beer (e.g. look in the background).  My favorite  Wink

She was assigned to the job of guarding the beer.  We were having an Old Time music jam that night......no telling who might want to take one of your beers when theirs runs out! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 10/17/14 at 15:58:22

Your pain will lesson, but keep the memories of Sarah alive for she was obviously a wonderful pooch.  My last dog was a black and white newfie and I almost never got a photo where you could see her face, that black on black is tough.  God speed to you all.

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #13 - 10/17/14 at 16:04:44

So sorry for your loss, Dave.
We're privileged that you chose to share it with us.

"God gives us love. Something to love, He lends us."
     Alfred Tennyson

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 10/17/14 at 19:05:38

I know how you feel- several times over. I have had 4 dogs and several cats that I have had to "release" from suffering the pain of old age over the years. We have favored Lab retrievers, purebred and crosses, all our lives.
The chocolate lab we have now will be our last as we will no longer be able to care for a dog properly. My advice is this: adopt a new friend quickly. It will help you through the grieving process immeasurably. Years ago we had to put down a friend and my wife took it very hard. Without telling her I went and purchased a young dog and let it go in the house. My wife heard the dogs nails on the floor and said "you better not have gotten another dog, I'me too upset right now" and the dog went up to her and put it's head on her lap, as if she knew my wife needed consoling.
Unfortunately, taking a friend to the vet and saying goodbye does not get easier, at least in my experience. I am not a very emotional guy, but the last time I had to do it the vet and a nurse had to console me for quite a while before they would let me drive home.
Again, my deepest sympathy.
Karl.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:16:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Goodbye to Sarah

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.