Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
steering stem seals (Read 27 times)
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
steering stem seals
10/16/14 at 10:54:23

is there a picture tutorial of how to replace the steering stem seals bearings and races? mostly I'm just interested in the seal part. there is some discrepancy between all balls racing, cyclerider in Montclair, and myself as far as where the seals go.

Picture: Ok so this is after i smacked the heck outta it and broke some pieces off. I got it to move a little bit hence the gap. but there was no seal occupying that gap, it was just the bottom piece of the bearing against whatever that thing is that holds the steering stem and all its nonsense.

Now, my buddy has it at his little shop and he's gonna get the bearing piece off but are totally confused as to where this bottom bearing goes because the inside diameter of the bearing is not match the outside diameter of the bottom of that steering stem especially not below that piece of bearing were trying to get off which is the fattest part of the shaft

IMG_20141016_105030.jpg

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: steering stem seals
Reply #1 - 10/16/14 at 11:25:37

Seals?  what seals? stock oem bearings aren't sealed.
there's a dust thingy on top.
If the bearings you bought are sealed... on one side (halleylooya) place the seal to the outside.
But... BUT, put the taper on the correct way... big end to the outside regardless of where the seal is or you'll never get the bearings in.

WWW   IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #2 - 10/16/14 at 11:43:04

i dnt knw if we're talking about the same thing. here is the smaller bearing and smaller seal. the larger bearing and larger seal is at my buddy's shop.

IMG_20141016_113830.jpg

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #3 - 10/16/14 at 11:48:00

I don't remember exactly when I was tearing this thing apart but I believe this is supposed to be the bottom seal...which I believe has the same outside diameter as the larger steel and larger bearing yet the inside diameter of the new larger seal is way smaller than this. i'll try to get my bro to take a pic when he gets home.

IMG_20141016_114633.jpg

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/16/14 at 12:21:52

I believe that wiper/dust cover can be installed on both ends.  Its just to keep some stuff from getting in or out, but is only marginally good at it.   Its not critical to have it.

But if you use them, they go on the outer sides of the bearings.  

Generally the replacement tapered bearings have gaps in between the bearings and the races and that wiper just tries to keep that covered.  Unless this is something I havent seen before.

Those lower bearing races are usually pressed on and sometimes they have to be cut off.  Ive used dremels to cut them off of many bikes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:16:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › steering stem seals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.