Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Used Leatherlyke bag mounting + Dyna muffler (Read 171 times)
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Used Leatherlyke bag mounting + Dyna muffler
10/15/14 at 08:41:06

Hello Everybody!

So I got some goodies over the weekend from a local bike dealership. A pair of used leatherlyke bags off of a "mystery" bike, the shop didn't know what they came off of so I have to figure out how to mount them on my own. As well as a pretty good condition dyna muffler! Got the bags for $40 and pipe for $25. Not "advertising" here, but if anyone wants the info, because I think they may have some more available, PM me.

Anyways, based on these pics, anyone have any ideas on a good place to start as far as mounting goes? I'm almost certain I will have to relocate my turn signals. But before I go to drilling holes, I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience (not "savage" leatherlykes onto a savage). I looked around, unless I'm missing something didn't come across much to help me with this. I'm attaching pictures of EVERYTHING that came with the bags, I have these interestingly shaped brackets that don't seem to really fit up in anyway with the bags. Probably will toss em to the side anyways. But the "posts" they mount to are there, 2 keys, and a few other bolts and brackets. Also, if anyone has a picture of, mainly the side facing inwards, savage leatherlyke's, it would be super helpful! Or if you have some and know if they're similar to mine or not that helps too.

As far as the dyna muffler goes, I'm just gonna follow the tech section's instructions, just put it into the title because for 25 bucks I'm still ecstatic!

Thanks everyone!  Cheesy

5/26/2015 UPDATE:

(Also posted later on in this thread)

INSTALLED! The bags at least. I finally installed them. It wasn't exactly a text book install either. Had to do some backyard mechanic garage modifications. Nothing extremely hard though. The bags I put on were off some other bike, no idea what, but they were symetrical. According to paladin, the savage leatherlykes had the left -or- driver's side bag being a little bit narrower than the right. Due to our big, fat, belt Smiley  So I had to install a spacer on the left side, ended up being some square tubing, (drawing a blank on the size at the moment) and had to drill holes in the chrome pieces.

Haven't gotten to take it for a test drive yet...due to the flooding down here in TX. But as soon as I do, if I encounter any issues, I will let y'all know. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

Only regrets I have, I scraped up the paintjob on the rear fender quite a bit having to constantly remove the chrome rails and sissy bar to drill holes, and the right -or- driver's side bag has the rear post mounted a hair higher than the other side. I was just eyeballing it as best as possible. No harm no foul, it looks good either way though.

Hopefully all this will pay off when I use them.

IF ANYONE HAS QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW I DID IT, SHOOT ME A PM BECAUSE THERE IS A CHANCE I COULD MISS A RESPONSE TO THIS POST. At least, for a while I would probably EVENTUALLY see it, months later.  Grin

Thanks!

« Last Edit: 05/26/15 at 14:31:19 by savskad »  

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Used Leatherlyke bag mounting + Dyna muffler
Reply #1 - 10/15/14 at 08:55:02

No drilling new holes needed (for the signals anyway)... Leatherlyke sells a signal relocation kit,(basically just a bar of metal) that allows you to relocate to the license plate...
I have one somewhere, but it's only about $10 new I think... easy to make yer' own if you get a look at it...

Where are you located?... (it's good to add that info to your member info)...

« Last Edit: 10/15/14 at 10:07:06 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #2 - 10/15/14 at 10:14:53

I was mainly talking about drilling for the mounts for the Bags, the turn signal I'll rig something up for the turn signals without drilling. I have been playing around with the idea of getting some big bright cruiser style flush mounting signals to stick on the bags themselves, although I don't know what I would do if I took them off for whatever reason.

I will use the existing turn signal hole for one "post" but not sure what to do for the other, front post, that's where the drilling would come in.

I guess I can't edit my personal info yet? I went to "CPanel" and it didn't have "edit info" anywhere.

Thanks for the speedy response!

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #3 - 10/15/14 at 10:16:21

Oh yeah! Almost forgot, I'm in Austin, Texas.

Wink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/15/14 at 10:35:00

savskad wrote on 10/15/14 at 10:16:21:
Oh yeah! Almost forgot, I'm in Austin, Texas.

Go to the top of the page, go to My Center, and update your personal information to include your location.  It will then show up on the right side of the page....just like mine does!

It comes in handy on occasion.....we are setting up a ride this Sunday and we can hit up anyone we see is from the Cincinnati area (although some folks may not know that Camp Springs, KY is only 20 minutes away).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 10/15/14 at 11:01:00

savskad wrote on 10/15/14 at 08:41:06:
As far as the dyna muffler goes, I'm just gonna follow the tech section's instructions, just put it into the title because for 25 bucks I'm still ecstatic!

Yep, looks like you have the rail mount that bolts right on with no special work. I did my dyna recently but it was a different mount so I had to make a bracket.  Just follow the tech section guide and it's all you need.  A few comments from my recent install:

a) Do make sure to loosen the header bolts. Makes wiggling the old muffler loose and getting the new one  on a lot easier...and of course make sure to get the lower heat shield outta your way too.

b) Do make the slits in the new muffler and use the can as a crush seal. It helps with sealing since the new one is slightly larger than stock and needs to compress some to make a tight seal.

c) Consider reusing the stock clamp as well as a hose clamp as a secondary.  In my post (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1407529013/15) you can see where I added something to the inside of the stock clamp and it added enough to allow it to grab tight. Otherwise, with nothing added it's too big and can't get tight enough to create a good, air tight seal.

d) If you have questions, ask! Folks here are full of advice.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #6 - 10/15/14 at 12:15:32

There we go! Now I'm not a "default" anymore. Also, do pictures have to be approved before we can use them? I want to use just a picture of my bike, but it's not allowing me to do so. I would imagine it has to be approved first though.

But as far as mounting the bags go...anyone have any tips?

Wink
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #7 - 10/15/14 at 13:05:26

What do y'all think of the idea of removing my stock turn signals, and when I have the bags on, mount a couple of these flush mounting ones to the back side of the bags? Yay or nay? I think it might look kinda neat.

flushmountcruiser.jpg

Wink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/15/14 at 13:24:44

Those lights will have small running light bulbs in them that are only 5 watts or so.....the make a nice romantic glow for your big rig at night.  They won't be visible in direct sunlight if used for turn signals, you need the 24watt bulbs for turns signals.  Those are running lights and they will not keep you safe if used as turn signals.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/15/14 at 13:28:10

savskad wrote on 10/15/14 at 12:15:32:
There we go! Now I'm not a "default" anymore. Also, do pictures have to be approved before we can use them? I want to use just a picture of my bike, but it's not allowing me to do so. I would imagine it has to be approved first though.

I used www.tinypic.com to create and host a photo address that I could link into the photo area.  You install the address into the "use my own photo" area...you need an address like this one:
http://i42.tinypic.com/65puza.jpg

If tinypic ever goes defunct.....so will all of my photos on this forum. Sad

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #10 - 10/15/14 at 14:03:35

Dave wrote on 10/15/14 at 13:24:44:
Those lights will have small running light bulbs in them that are only 5 watts or so.....the make a nice romantic glow for your big rig at night.  They won't be visible in direct sunlight if used for turn signals, you need the 24watt bulbs for turns signals.  Those are running lights and they will not keep you safe if used as turn signals.

Undecided

I had a feeling that was the case with those...I have some of the clear LED flush mounts on a Nighthawk I own, but because of the dullness of them during the day, I additionally had some short stalk LED signals mounting off the license plate bracket. I wish they had some big ol' bright ones I could get. They all seem to be that cheap ebay crap. I suppose for now it's just relocation of the stock ones.

Wink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/16/14 at 06:27:59

I know this is not a bargain.....but what cost for safety?

The best flat mount LED that I have found so far, that could make a great brake light or turn signals is this one.  It can be set to burn steady, and you can get it either in red or yellow.  It is really bright.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-fixtures/3-watt-vehicle-mini-...

Another option for the tail/brake light that is worth trying, is this one.  I am going to put them in the back of my Honda ST1100.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-i...

There are also some very bright LED bulbs that can work where the 1156 single element bulbs are used - however high power LED bulbs are not cheap.  Look at the Lumen output...you need the 500+ lumens to be a good turn signal bulb in the daylight.  The lower power 140 lumen type bulbs are running lights that are visible at night.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/s-series-bulbs/filter/Base,1156,1,40:

« Last Edit: 10/16/14 at 09:04:06 by Dave »  

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #12 - 10/17/14 at 15:14:26

Dave wrote on 10/16/14 at 06:27:59:
I know this is not a bargain.....but what cost for safety?

The best flat mount LED that I have found so far, that could make a great brake light or turn signals is this one.  It can be set to burn steady, and you can get it either in red or yellow.  It is really bright.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-fixtures/3-watt-vehicle-mini-...

Another option for the tail/brake light that is worth trying, is this one.  I am going to put them in the back of my Honda ST1100.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-i...

Those 2 look pretty sharp. I think I might just get those flat mounting ones and mount them on the bags, in addition to moving the stock signals further back. More lights = More visible. I'm a firm believer in that, as long as its not so lit up it's distracting to other drivers. I appreciate the links. I'll probably order a pair. As for the bulb, I may do it as well, but I was mainly looking for an entire "signal".

Wink
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #13 - 05/26/15 at 14:15:48

INSTALLED! The bags at least. I finally installed them. It wasn't exactly a text book install either. Had to do some backyard mechanic garage modifications. Nothing extremely hard though. The bags I put on were off some other bike, no idea what, but they were symetrical. According to paladin, the savage leatherlykes had the left -or- driver's side bag being a little bit narrower than the right. Due to our big, fat, belt Smiley  So I had to install a spacer on the left side, ended up being some square tubing, (drawing a blank on the size at the moment) and had to drill holes in the chrome pieces.

Haven't gotten to take it for a test drive yet...due to the flooding down here in TX. But as soon as I do, if I encounter any issues, I will let y'all know. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

Only regrets I have, I scraped up the paintjob on the rear fender quite a bit having to constantly remove the chrome rails and sissy bar to drill holes, and the right -or- driver's side bag has the rear post mounted a hair higher than the other side. I was just eyeballing it as best as possible. No harm no foul, it looks good either way though.

Hopefully all this will pay off when I use them.

IF ANYONE HAS QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW I DID IT, SHOOT ME A PM BECAUSE THERE IS A CHANCE I COULD MISS A RESPONSE TO THIS POST. At least, for a while I would probably EVENTUALLY see it, months later.  Grin

Thanks!

Wink
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 05/26/15 at 19:26:12

savskad wrote on 05/26/15 at 14:15:48:
Only regrets I have, I scraped up the paintjob on the rear fender quite a bit having to constantly remove the chrome rails and sissy bar to drill holes

Electrical tape is my very good friend!  When I have performed a few mods on my bike, I put a few pieces of tape wherever I "think" I may risk scratching. Sometimes I remove it before the final install, sometimes I leave it and once installed, I pull off what I can and leave the rest between the nut/bolt and frame.fender to act as a little cushion to minimize vibration...just depends on the mood and what I am working on.

Electrical tape is cheap, provides a good cushion to potential scrapes, and peels off super easy when done.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:35:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Used Leatherlyke bag mounting + Dyna muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.