Send Topic Print
Carb Problems... AGAIN (Read 87 times)
Suzukisavvy

You're Droolin,
While I'm Spoolin

Nebraska, USA
Carb Problems... AGAIN
10/14/14 at 07:35:01

Ok guys, my 1998 suzuki savage carb is crap. when i first got it the fuel would come out of the tubes either on "on" or "prime" i sent it to a yamaha dealer and he cleaned the carb and it ran fine for me the rest of the summer except fuel would come out when you slowed down slow and going down a steep hill. Now that it has sat for a bit i tried to turn it on and i turned the fuel to prime and i waited then fuel came flooding out of the tubes AND THE BIKE WANT EVEN RUNNING! i turned it to on and started the bike and it floods out and the fuel comes rushing out of the overflow tubes. WHATS THE PROBLEM??? Angry

In my creepy robot voice.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Carb Problems... AGAIN
Reply #1 - 10/14/14 at 07:58:49

It could be that your vacuum operated petcock is faulty, and allowing fuel to run through the vacuum line to the carb....it could be bypassing the float and needle/seat.

Disconnect the vacuum line to the carb and see if there is any fuel in that line.....there is not supposed to be.

Test your petcock and see if it works properly.  
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 10/14/14 at 16:43:16

If you've got fuel coming out the overflow tubes, you might have one of a couple of problems.

There could be some trash in the float valve causing it not to close all the way.

The float could be binding against something.  Again, causing the float valve not to close.

Your floats could have a leak and not be floating as they should.

Your float level could be misadjusted.

The float valve should have a smooth taper to the point at the end.  If it's not smooth, it's probably not sealing.

There is a small trash screen above the float valve seat. It usually causes problems with not enough fuel rather than too much, though.

If your float system is working properly, you should never have any gas overflow unless the bike is on it's side or upside down.

Every time I have ever had gas come out an overflow/vent tube, it's been a float system issue.

If you put it on prime, the bike doesn't need to be running for fuel to fill the carb.  If it comes out once the carb is full, the float system is not shutting off the fuel flow as it should.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/14/14 at 20:17:29

You need to learn how to do the basic repairs to a motorcycle like removing a carburetor and cleaning adjusting. You shouldn't have to pay a motorcycle shop to clean your carburetor it's not that difficult and may need to be serviced every year. If you can't do the basic stuff them you might want to look at a bike that is fuel injected and be done with these carburetor issues.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/14/14 at 20:29:40

Suzukisavvy wrote on 10/14/14 at 07:35:01:
Ok guys, my 1998 suzuki savage carb is crap. when i first got it the fuel would come out of the tubes either on "on" or "prime" i sent it to a yamaha dealer and he cleaned the carb and it ran fine for me the rest of the summer except fuel would come out when you slowed down slow and going down a steep hill. Now that it has sat for a bit i tried to turn it on and i turned the fuel to prime and i waited then fuel came flooding out of the tubes AND THE BIKE WANT EVEN RUNNING! i turned it to on and started the bike and it floods out and the fuel comes rushing out of the overflow tubes. WHATS THE PROBLEM??? Angry

You should of took it back, your problem came from the dealer.
his job was unsatisfactory.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/14/14 at 22:18:37

Carb puking fuel...  if you can positively rule out petcock leaking down the vacuum line....
It is in the floatbowl... (floats, float seat, float needle)...
...(only 2 lines from the fuel tank to the carb...and 1 is leaking) it's that simple... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 10/15/14 at 13:47:33

Fuel overflowing going slow / downhill: maybe the dealer set the float level too high. Overflowing after you quit using it over winter: float could be stuck. Try giving the float bowl a whack with a screwdriver handle, with the fuel on. Could jolt it free. That happens for me on Another Bike .
One more leak point is the needle seat o ring but yours sounds like it's passing too much fuel for that. Good luck.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:24:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Problems... AGAIN

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.