Send Topic Print
Brake line routing (Read 99 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brake line routing
10/13/14 at 22:39:08

Hi All,

I am in the process of figuring out the brake line routing for the street tracker project. Forks have been lowered 2 inches, superbike bars. I was thinking of using a 90 degree bend fitting at the master cylinder end and running the line straight across the front, over the headlight then down. Any opinions? See the pics.

Thanks,

john in Kalifornia

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Brake line routing
Reply #1 - 10/13/14 at 22:51:54

90° bend will allow you to compensate for any misalignment in the end fittings (twist).

The rubber grommet at the bottom tree normally is at the bottom.
just move it up 2" or you'll not have enough bend in the hose.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/14/14 at 03:35:21

The brake line will move up and down constantly with the movement of the front wheel.  The stock system has a steel mount with a rubber bushing at the fender, then a smooth 90 degree curve and a steel mount and rubber bushing at the bottom of the triple tree.  This system allows the movement to occur in the bend....the wheel can bounce up and down and the brake line just flexes to take up the movement - and because it is under the forks you never notice it.

In the routing you are proposing the brake line will need to be mounted to the lower fork like the original - and the brake line will need to slide up/down along the upper fork tube and mount - as the flex in the brake like will need to occur where the line is parallel with the handlebars.  You should make some form of guide to hold the brake line and allow it so slide up and down....and keep it from rubbing on things.

My dirt bike in the 70's ran a brake cable with the routing you are proposing - and it had a smooth guide fastened to the front number plate that held the cable so it would not catch on anything when the forks compressed.  These brakes were cable operated, and on occasion someone would not route the cable well and when the forks compressed fully - the cable would catch or hook on something.....then as the forks came back up from being compressed the cable would get pulled and it would apply the front brake!  That was most likely a real surprise to the rider.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/14/14 at 13:58:58

I do remember the brake cable routing problem that you described. Dirtbikes have much more suspension travel than the Savage, especially with lowered forks on the latter.

I haven't decided on a fender, or if I'll have one. Think that a fitting at the bottom of the tree, that allows the cable to slide up and down might be all that's needed.

I ordered a 37 inch cable with one 90 degree and one straight end with a 90 degree twist. We will see how it works out.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/14/14 at 17:31:10

I think you definitely need a bracket at the top of the lower fork leg, near the fender mount or the rubber boot.  You have to take the strain off the fittings and the hose where it mounts to the caliper.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/14/14 at 18:11:16

Thanks, I think you are right. Maybe I'll have to install a mini fender just to have a bracket mount for the line. I hear the heavy stock fender acts sorta like a fork brace anyway.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/15/14 at 04:32:31

If you don't want a fender, all you need to do is make a bracket that bolts into the holes where the fender used to mount.

From my own experience....one or two summer showers is all that is required to convince you that a front fender is a wonderful thing. Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/22/14 at 13:15:27

Just found out I still have the aluminum brake line bracket that I made and used last summer.....before I made the stainless one that is part of the fender brace.

John.....If you want this.....send me your address and I will mail it to you.

Dave

BrakeBracket.jpg

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/22/14 at 15:14:20

Dave,

That's just what I needed, thanks. Sent you a PM.

Brake line arrived, in a small package, all coiled up. Hung it from a rafter in the garage with a drill press vise for weight overnight to straighten it out. Looks like it will work out, just long enough. Too short if I was using the stock non shortened forks.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/28/14 at 00:42:41

Here are some pics of how it worked out with the bracket from Dave, thanks.

Specs for the brake line ordered from rennsport:

1. Fittings #1, #5
2. Length 37"
3. Angle type C
4. Color clear

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com