Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Indicators work intermittently (Read 55 times)
ss652
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buckinghamshire, UK
Indicators work intermittently
10/12/14 at 13:13:08

Hi, only issue with my bike so far is the indicators. Initially they didn't blink, they just stayed on so the relay was replaced. Now they flash but sometimes they won't work at all. For example, they might work before a ride but out on the road they don't. Or they'll flash for a time then stop on their own. I have checked all wiring and connections with a multimeter and can't find a fault. I did replace the rear indicators however not long before this fault started...could there be an issue with them do you think? It would be good to know before I try the old ones again because I chopped and soldered the original connectors onto the new ones. Many thanks in advance. Bike is a 1993.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Indicators work intermittently
Reply #1 - 10/12/14 at 15:28:02

maybe an issue with the switch? Try taking it aprt see if you can clean the contactors..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/12/14 at 17:17:39

I did replace the rear indicators however not long before this fault started...could there be an issue with them do you think?

Perfect start for finding the problem.. Rule One,, If Youve been working on something and Now it dont work,, Go Back to where ya were..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 10/12/14 at 17:52:58

I read somewhere about how LED's sometimes won't blink. Something about the amperage... I may be wrong. What did you replace your blinkers with?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
ss652
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buckinghamshire, UK
Reply #4 - 10/15/14 at 12:19:13

Firstly thanks for the replies. They are standard bulb replacements, just smaller aftermarket ones. I have checked the switch, cleaned it up and checked all wires and connectors. There is no common ground for when they work, sometimes before a ride, sometimes after, rarely during though. It's annoying, I could try some others I suppose. Also worth mentioning is it's only the rear ones I have replaced so far. Front ones are standard. I will keep looking, cheers guys.

IP Logged
PinkHelmet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mangalia, Romania, Europe.
Reply #5 - 10/15/14 at 12:57:31

I've had some strange blinkin' problems after I switched my original indicators with some aftermarket ones, in which the bulbs were 16 Watt in front (each) and (to my surprise) only 6 Watt for each of the back ones. And furthermore the minibulbs (6 W ones) weren't always closing the circuit. After some persuasion they start blinking but at almost double rate than the original. So I switched again to 16 W each in front and 21 W (as each the original ones) in back.
Also you might want to spray some WD40 or something like that in the left side switch casing.

Out of my mind. Back in 5'...
rusuac   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/16/14 at 09:03:57

Id put the old ones back on and see if the problem goes away.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ss652
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buckinghamshire, UK
Reply #7 - 10/16/14 at 12:46:48

I will have another go this weekend and see what happens. Got a few pairs lying about I could try. I tried the WD in the switch too, pretty clean in there too. Cheers all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:25:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Indicators work intermittently

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.