Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HELP!  I've tried everything I can think of. (Read 397 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: HELP!  I've tried everything I can think of.
Reply #30 - 10/15/14 at 19:19:28

GnarlyDavidson wrote on 10/15/14 at 18:14:29:
But 1 other thing to look at... is there a washer under the main jet? No.  Should there be?

there's your problem.  the washer keeps the needle jet from being sucked up into the throat.

WWW   IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 10/15/14 at 20:48:39

Alright, I went and reverified, there is a washer on the main jet.  However, I finally drained the oil (been a busy week at work and haven't had much time) and some liquid came out that was about the same viscosity and color as black coffee, and smelled like gasoline. There was far more than 2 qts in the bucket. Going to send the wife out for oil and a new filter in the AM, will report back after the change is done.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #32 - 10/16/14 at 07:27:16

Read this before you buy oil.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

The non-synthetic  ShellRotella is the least expensive option. It can be found almost anywhere that sells oil.

IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 10/16/14 at 20:24:26

Thanks OldNSlow.  I would have just gotten the AutoZone $2.00 / qt special Smiley  We picked up some T6, just waiting on the oil filter to arrive at the local parts store.

IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 10/24/14 at 22:29:09

Hey guys.... I'm back Sad  Changed the oil, still no luck... as a matter of fact, it's worse.  I can't even get it started now.  Its backfiring every time i try to start it out of the breather box.  I uploaded a video so you guys could see what I'm talking about.  Listen close when I first hit the start and when I stop the first time and you'll hear the backfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbOEN41R3E&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #35 - 10/24/14 at 23:05:24

I wonder if your decompression valve is working properly..

How well did you clean the carb? I mean the bike is rather old with only 300 miles means the bike sat around gunking any and all passages in the carb

IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 10/24/14 at 23:12:18

fouled plug.  cleaned, reinstalled, currently purring.  wife is reinstalling seat and a test riding i will go.

IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 10/25/14 at 00:54:14

Alright guys, after ops check she sputtered one time and then purred the whole way around the neighborhood.  I think this issue is solved.  For search purposes, here is a summary and a rundown.  My 1998 Suzuki Savage LS650 was having issue with sputtering and misfires when it got warm, and I would have to twist the throttle pretty hard to get it to start.  The fix was to install a raptor 660 petcock (getting rid of the vacuum drawn petcock) and changing the oil because there was a LOT of fuel in the oil.  After this was all done, the plug somehow was fouled with oil due to too many failed starts on the bad oil.  So, I removed the plug, cleaned it, and voila, it's running like a bike with 300 mile should run!  Smiley

Thanks so much for all the help from the guys who make this place their online home.  You're all awesome, and I now have a happy wife who is going to start riding with me!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 10/25/14 at 10:58:35

Wow,, Three HUndred MILES??? Shazzam,, its NEW!  Did you have a look at the tires? Was it stored inside? Theyre new,, but then again,, theyre not,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 10/25/14 at 19:44:46

Hi Justin,

Yes, I checked them over.  They're in good shape, surprisingly.  He had it stored in one of those personal bike garages... the little clamshell bubbles that you can put a single bike in.  No cracking / dry rot anywhere.d

IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 10/25/14 at 19:51:13

Oh lord, my wife is already wanting to do more work on her bike.  What are some good mods to get her started?  I've already sourced a stock sportster muffler - is this a direct fit bolt on?  I want to do Verslaggen's Cam Chain Tensioner mod and possibly some stuff in the rear triangle to free up some space around the aft portion of the carb.  Anything else you guys can recommend?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 10/25/14 at 20:14:31

IDK about Sporty mufflers. DYNA mufflers are what most of us run.
Petcock, Dyna, tune the carb and ride..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:33:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP!  I've tried everything I can think of.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.