Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HELP!  I've tried everything I can think of. (Read 397 times)
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: HELP!  I've tried everything I can think of.
Reply #15 - 10/13/14 at 19:45:13

old_rider wrote on 10/13/14 at 17:24:57:
Gnarly.... take the tank off and check the connections and wires under it. The WOT problem was and probably is, the petc0ck... change it out to a Yamaha raptor 660 petc0ck...
The cutting off while running sounds like a loose electrical connector.....or pinched wire... most often the one connector under the tank causes a problem.. What is WOT?  I've changed over to the Raptor petcock already, still having issues.  I think the connector under the tank can be eliminated, because I've taken the tank on and off several times and am still having the same problem.

Jus' givin' some input...good, bad or ugly, hope it helps.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 10/13/14 at 20:00:40

GnarlyDavidson wrote on 10/13/14 at 19:45:13:
What is WOT?  I've changed over to the Raptor petcock already, still having issues.  I think the connector under the tank can be eliminated, because I've taken the tank on and off several times and am still having the same problem.

WOT=wide open throttle.

there are 3 connectors under the tank.

the 2 big ones are what he's talking about.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 10/13/14 at 20:06:29

GnarlyDavidson wrote on 10/13/14 at 19:43:54:
 Guess I am gonna have to pull the pipes and check.  The other day when I got the bike running perfect for a couple of miles there was no weird fumes or anything coming out.  When it started running badly, it was billowing white smoke out the back of it.

Billowing white smoke? persistent or disappears after a few feet?

WWW   IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/13/14 at 20:09:39

Persistent.

IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/13/14 at 20:14:16

However, to keep the bike running I had to have the throttle wide open, and even then it wasn't going above 15-20 MPH, and it was sputtering the entire time.  To get it started I had to have WOT and hold the starter for like 20 seconds.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #20 - 10/13/14 at 20:38:35

I don't see any mention of your having drained the oil. If your original problem was the stock petcock you might want to make sure you don't have a crankcase full of gasoline.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 10/13/14 at 21:34:13

GnarlyDavidson wrote on 10/13/14 at 20:09:39:
Persistent.

as in a trail of smoke that won't go away?

How's your oil level?

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #22 - 10/14/14 at 13:16:52

oldnslow could have something.... gas in the oil getting past the rings flooding it out with a little oil also..... causing white smoke.

Bad ring set?

When I got my 2003, there was waayyy to much oil in mine...because of the float needle leaking gas and filling up the crank case.
I'm glad I had read here about it and changed the oil soon as I got in home. I had started it and run it up onto my trailer, it was sputtering, but made it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #23 - 10/15/14 at 08:53:02

The white smoke and smell of gas is what's setting off alarms in my head.  Had the issues you're describing with an old Yamaha XS.  And the problem was a bad idle mixture screw.  Previous owner over tightened anc broke a tip off in valve.  Never ran righ afetr because a hole was bored in the soft metal.  I don't mean to insult you if this sounds too rudimentary, but did you adjust your idle mixture screw?  If it's too rich that could easily cause bike to not want to run unless throttled up to burn all the excess gas coming in... Just thinking of the simple stuff before you go tear the engine apart.  When you replaced the other spark was it black or oily?

2011 S40 Raptor petcock. idle screw 2 turns out
  IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 10/15/14 at 11:03:55

No insult taken at all.  Yes, I tried to set the idle when it was actually idling correctly, and it was fine.  The thing is though that this problem comes and goes... every time I take something apart or replace something, when I put it back together it runs fine for a couple of minutes, then it sputters and gets all nasty and I have to keep it throttled in order for the engine to not die.  The old spark plug had a bit of white build-up on it, but no warped metal bits or anything like that.  I guess after an oil change I'm pretty much looking at tearing the engine apart Sad  How does  a bike with 300 miles get this much wrong with it?

luckylouie82 wrote on 10/15/14 at 08:53:02:
The white smoke and smell of gas is what's setting off alarms in my head.  Had the issues you're describing with an old Yamaha XS.  And the problem was a bad idle mixture screw.  Previous owner over tightened anc broke a tip off in valve.  Never ran righ afetr because a hole was bored in the soft metal.  I don't mean to insult you if this sounds too rudimentary, but did you adjust your idle mixture screw?  If it's too rich that could easily cause bike to not want to run unless throttled up to burn all the excess gas coming in... Just thinking of the simple stuff before you go tear the engine apart.  When you replaced the other spark was it black or oily?

IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 10/15/14 at 11:06:56

The thing that really baffles me here is that if it sits or if I take it apart and R&R parts, when it gets put back together I start and it and it purrs... no white smoke, no sputtering, and I get excited and think it's fixed... take it for a test ride and it starts the white smoke / sputtering again.  I've never seen anything like this.  Anyone have any pointers on eliminating a clogged exhaust?  Could I take just the muffler off and try it, or will I get false positives / negatives because the jets won't be working properly anymore?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 10/15/14 at 11:44:53

GnarlyDavidson wrote on 10/15/14 at 11:06:56:
The thing that really baffles me here is that if it sits or if I take it apart and R&R parts, when it gets put back together I start and it and it purrs... no white smoke, no sputtering, and I get excited and think it's fixed... take it for a test ride and it starts the white smoke / sputtering again.  I've never seen anything like this.  Anyone have any pointers on eliminating a clogged exhaust?  Could I take just the muffler off and try it, or will I get false positives / negatives because the jets won't be working properly anymore?

OK, so you seem to be saying, when cold runs fine, once warm runs like crap.
Temperature issues are usually electrical.
I'd be looking at the coil.

But 1 other thing to look at... is there a washer under the main jet?

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #27 - 10/15/14 at 11:48:00

Quote:
I guess after an oil change I'm pretty much looking at tearing the engine apart ...

So you haven't drained the oil yet, or checked to see if it's contaminated with gasoline?

IP Logged
GnarlyDavidson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 10/15/14 at 18:14:29

But 1 other thing to look at... is there a washer under the main jet? No.  Should there be?

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #29 - 10/15/14 at 18:47:04

yes, there should be

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:26:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP!  I've tried everything I can think of.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.