Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ryca extended swingarm weld on (Read 195 times)
JimmyHoffa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

sweden
Ryca extended swingarm weld on
10/11/14 at 08:12:18

Just found this on the ryca site and an idea of extend the swingarm has just started. Chain conversion is a must i understand but what do you do with the brake hub were its attatched to the swingarm? Can't check it on My bike but i have a weak memory that the brake hub has a arm fastend to the swingarm..? Right?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Ryca extended swingarm weld on
Reply #1 - 10/11/14 at 08:29:01

You remember your bicycles had an arm that was held up by a strap ..
The brake drum has an arm with a horizontal tab that slips into a channel in between the swingarm and tire. Just a coupla welded on bits of square stuff,, extending them shouldnt be a big deal  Depending on How much longer the arm will be,, But, wherever the axle goes, all ya gotta do is provide a trap for that tab so it cant go up or down but can move fore and aft.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JimmyHoffa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

sweden
Reply #2 - 10/11/14 at 13:56:35

thanks, now I know what to do  Smiley

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/13/14 at 10:05:16

You said you have it worked out already, but here is another option.

I can verify tonight, but Im 90% certain the 72-77 Suzuki GT 550/750 use the exact same rear hub as the Savage.

The only difference is that the GT has an 18" wheel, sprocket mounted and a different brake shoe holder that uses a brace arm to the front of the swingarm instead of the notch to the rear of the swingarm.

This also makes it easier to swap to a 18" rim for others.  The spokes and rims can still be bought some places. Ill verify the specifics with a micrometer tonight if anyone cares, but having them side by side they look identical.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/13/14 at 10:39:53

Nice looking GT wheel you posted Spamy....really clean.  Is it the GT380/550 or the GT550/750.  I thought the stuff for the 380/550 was more common and the 750 parts were bigger.

While Spamy checks the measurements.....I wanna' know - What is the purpose of extending the swing arm on the Savage?    I have never had an issue with the front wheel coming off the ground, and the stock shocks most likely aren't going to like that extra leverage being applied to them, and the bike isn't really unstable in a straight line?

I see extended swing arms on hill climb bikes to get the weight more forward, on Crotch Rockets that are used for drag racing, or on street bikes that are converted to some wannabe street racer bling mobiles.  But I don't know what it will do for the Savage?  The frame and swingarm aren't all that strong to begin with and get kinda flexy in long, fast sweepers I am told!  I am not being critical...I just want to be informed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 10/13/14 at 15:47:36

maybe he wants a bigger wheel on the back.  I dunno.  Never had a problem with the stock one.

It does flex a little on long sweepers. Not a big deal if you're expecting it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/13/14 at 23:08:49

Nope. The rear wheel of a GT550 could swap over but not without the brake hub.

The sprocket side is exactly the same.

Just in case someone wants to know.

« Last Edit: 10/14/14 at 03:20:50 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
JimmyHoffa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

sweden
Reply #7 - 10/14/14 at 01:42:39

the reason is im trying to suck upp as much info as possible for a bobber Project. so its just about apperence not riding quality..

IP Logged
BGTLS
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/21/14 at 15:23:46

Spamy can you please measure the inside spoke flange width of that gt hub? Is it the same as the LS hub?  Do you know what year and model the wheel is from? Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 09:11:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca extended swingarm weld on

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.