Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
China (Read 172 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
China
10/10/14 at 15:48:50

This is how China's economy has surpassed much of the world's.  I have heard bits and pieces; although, I really didn't think they were this strong at this point in time.  Imagine the leverage they will have in 20 years.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-09/not-just-largest-economy-%E2%80%93-h...

#1 When you add up all imports and exports, China now accounts for more total global trade than the United States does.

#2 There is now more total corporate debt in China than there is in the United States.

#3 During 2013, we sold about 121 billion dollars worth of stuff to the Chinese, but they sold about 440 billion dollars worth of stuff to us.  That was the largest trade deficit that one nation has had with another nation in the history of the world.

#4 China is now the leading manufacturer of goods in the entire world.

#5 Back in 1998, the United States had 25 percent of the world’s high-tech export market and China had just 10 percent. Today, China’s high-tech exports are more than twice the size of U.S. high-tech exports.

#6 The United States had been the leading consumer of energy in the world for about 100 years, but during the summer of 2010 China took over the number one spot.

#7 China now has the largest new car market in the entire world.

#8 China has more foreign currency reserves than anyone else on the planet.

#9 China is the number one gold producer in the world.

#10 China is also the number one gold importer in the world.

#11 15 years ago, China was 14th in the world in published scientific research articles.  But now, China is expected to pass the United States and become number one very shortly.

#12 China is also expected to soon become the global leader in patent filings.

#13 China awards more doctoral degrees in engineering each year than the United States does.

#14 China has the world’s fastest train and the world’s most extensive high-speed rail network.

#15 China uses more cement than the rest of the world combined.

#16 Today, China produces nearly twice as much beer as the United States does.

#17 85 percent of all artificial Christmas trees are made in China.

#18 There are more pigs in China than in the next 43 pork producing nations combined.

#19 China is now the number one producer of wind and solar power on the entire globe.

#20 China produces more than twice as much cotton as the United States does.

#21 China produces more than three times as much coal as the United States does.

#22 China now produces 11 times as much steel as the United States does.

#23 China controls over 90 percent of the total global supply of rare earth elements.

#24 An investigation by the U.S. Senate Committee on Armed Services found more than one million counterfeit Chinese parts in the Department of Defense supply chain.

#25 According to author Clyde Prestowitz, China’s number one export to the U.S. is computer equipment.  According to an article in U.S. News & World Report, the number one U.S. export to China is “scrap and trash”.

#26 Nobel economist Robert W. Fogel of the University of Chicago is projecting that the Chinese economy will be three times larger than the U.S. economy by the year 2040 if current trends continue.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: China
Reply #1 - 10/13/14 at 06:05:41

I ordered another Arduino for a second grow box.
It was 6 dollars.
I wanted a way to record the data so I ordered a SD card reader circuit board. It was $2.16.
Shipped.
From Shengzen.
I can't mail a letter across two towns for less than $2.16.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/13/14 at 09:22:13

And theyve had to put up suicide nets on buildings, to keep workers ( read slaves) from jumping to their deaths. Theyre BUYING canned air,, Our Clean, regulated, therefore more expensive, manufacturing has gone there, for cheap labor and unregulated production..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 10/13/14 at 21:13:00

Paraquat wrote on 10/13/14 at 06:05:41:
I ordered another Arduino for a second grow box.
It was 6 dollars.
I wanted a way to record the data so I ordered a SD card reader circuit board. It was $2.16.
Shipped.
From Shengzen.
I can't mail a letter across two towns for less than $2.16.

In a true free market, the market always corrects itself.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #4 - 10/14/14 at 09:26:53

Quote:

That is true. However the market, for things made here, and things made their, are not a free market.
Completely different regulations.
Case in point. (Into ESS  & ECS,'field bred', dogs). Some years ago, people were all touting this, 'new' brand of tick repellent, which was Less than 1/2 the price, of the 'other', stuff. (The kind you put on you dog's back, and lasts a month +/-).

It worked, It Killed the Ticks. But, after a year, it ALSO, Killed the DOG !!!!!!!   (Made in China)

Problem is. A Wrench, Elect item, plastic item, etc., made in China, you buy it, because it is a whole lot cheaper. And No Effect, on you, (or your dog). No effect on the end user, 'after it is made'. The effects are on the people that, 'make', that item. And Yes, I am also guilty. Their are times I also buy, 'china made'.

One can buy, (essential the same), pocket knife, made in china, for 10.00, or one made in Titusville PA for 100.00. The US one, will look nicer, but after a couple of months, carrying it, using it, it's a toss up.  Now, if one 'looses' it, (happens on occasion). 10.00 loss is a lot easier to handle than a 100.00 loss.

I think almost, Anything, with any kind of 'circuit' board in it.  Coffee maker?  (try to fine one NOT made in china). Or alarm clock, gps unit, etc. Very tough to do.  90% of the stuff at a, 'dollar type store, or most mart-marts.

But when it come to something, that one ingests, or puts on the body.
I'll stick to a product, made in a country, which has regulations, on how it is made, and what goes into it.

I remember when, 'Made in Japan", was a real BAD  thing.  So bad in fact, that a number of years, Ithaca, (a US Gun Company), put "Ithaca SKB", on their firearms.  (SKB =  SAKABA which  was a company formed in the Ibaraki province of Japan in 1855).  Most people thought they were buying a, US made firearm.

SKB's, were, (and still are), a very high quality, very well made, firearm. So who knows, maybe, 'Made In China',  (in 50 years or so). May, not be such a bad thing. Of course, I believe that would depend on, a free market, and if the people are, demanding a higher quality, rather than a, 'throw away'.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 10/14/14 at 11:40:13

MnSpring wrote on 10/14/14 at 09:26:53:
Quote:

That is true. However the market, for things made here, and things made their, are not a free market.

I'm sure their really isn't a free market anywhere.  I'm speculating; but, the US probably had the closest thing in days gone by.  

"Too big to fail"   Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 10/16/14 at 08:21:42

What we have seen ALL our lives is a growth of Crony Capitalism. Government regulation created and used in a form of nepotism, and, its easier and every bit as descriptive to run the words together,, ya get
Crapitalism..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 10/16/14 at 23:04:47

I blame California.... it all started in California....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/23/14 at 07:32:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/13/14 at 09:22:13:
And theyve had to put up suicide nets on buildings, to keep workers ( read slaves) from jumping to their deaths. Theyre BUYING canned air,, Our Clean, regulated, therefore more expensive, manufacturing has gone there, for cheap labor and unregulated production..

All powerful countries were built on the backs of slaves. Egypt, Rome, England, America, ect...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/23/14 at 07:48:50

But WE helped create that situation with Nafta.. WE passed legislation that Favored the competition, we SHIPPED our jobs away. Our coal powered electricity plants ( the ones that arent part of the game) are being shut down,, in the name of protecting the environment, which, IS global,, POllution over there eventually degrades the air here, pollutes the Earth in general. Yes, rain washes a lot out, But South Texas has higher lead concentration in the soil, due to filthy Mexican industry.. Stuff gets around,, WE are the on one hand, benefitting, thru cheap and amazing things,, A cell phone is a tiny computer,, portable, communications,, amazing,, and look at what it can be had for! Its Amazing.. I can go to WalMart, buy jeans and a shirt and spend under #0 bucks, or I can buy American made, one shirt, 45 bucks.. OUR Government created this,, it was no accident,, its NOT "Ohh gee,, unintended consequences".. everybody who had a clue KNEW Nafta was gonna suck Americas guts out and it did,,

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 10/23/14 at 08:08:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/23/14 at 07:48:50:
But WE helped create that situation with Nafta.. WE passed legislation that Favored the competition, we SHIPPED our jobs away. Our coal powered electricity plants ( the ones that arent part of the game) are being shut down,, in the name of protecting the environment, which, IS global,, POllution over there eventually degrades the air here, pollutes the Earth in general. Yes, rain washes a lot out, But South Texas has higher lead concentration in the soil, due to filthy Mexican industry.. Stuff gets around,, WE are the on one hand, benefitting, thru cheap and amazing things,, A cell phone is a tiny computer,, portable, communications,, amazing,, and look at what it can be had for! Its Amazing.. I can go to WalMart, buy jeans and a shirt and spend under #0 bucks, or I can buy American made, one shirt, 45 bucks.. OUR Government created this,, it was no accident,, its NOT "Ohh gee,, unintended consequences".. everybody who had a clue KNEW Nafta was gonna suck Americas guts out and it did,,

I agree to most of this...
NAFTA was horrible for the average US worker... and still is. But I actually mostly blame the GOP for this. In so much as they were successful in making it seem that "whats good for business is good for everyone".  Perhaps the scent of "trickle down" with a really bad spin.

And yes at the time I did vote for "ears" Ross Perot, who was very much against NAFTA.

One of the things I recall being said long ago by a senator being interviewed about it.. his response as to why NAFTA "ended up" being so bad for the US..." Well Mexico just just out did us in deal".

Really? thats Washingtons response to a very very bad deal for the USA .. shrug your shoulders and say we got out done?   And here decades later ... meh sucks to be you attitude of Washington.. OH GAWD!

As to China, or any other low wage area. They will always have the benefit, though Washington via the lobbists sure seem to want to maximize it versus minimize it.  Japan, lost out to China, China, can lose out to India, or any number of under-developed Asian countries and are. though percent wise it is small.  China is very smart, not it seems that you have to be very smart to ... to out-smart Washington. To me though some of the things that China has done with thier wealth is MUCH smarter than say Mexico, whcih as far as I can tell has completely and utterly squandered ANY and ALL wealth with nothing to show for it. China has put massive amounts of money into thier infrastructure ( Dams, cities, space programs!), such that no matter what the world economy does they can limp along and even prosper. Even now, China is using their US dollar wealth to buy up as much resources in other countries as possible (including in the US) thus trading a fiat currency for tangible wealth they can dip into later.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 10/23/14 at 08:22:45

PS:
As to China and Gold... I heard a very interesting take on what appears to be China building up a large gold reserve.

The common mantra for a few years now is that the "BRIC" nations would attempt to create their own reserve currency, on backed by GOLD. This has been the chant for along time.

But a guy that seems to know his stuff said that BS. China could not re-create the US dollar reserve for at least ten years, as there simply is no infrastructure to support ( markets, exchanges, ect). he then went on to point out that China does not NEED to replace the dollar. Thier actual need for gold is much simpler. Its a simple counter to a weakening dollar.
think of gold and the dollar as being on opposite ends of a scale, if the dollar looses value then gold gains value. if gold looses value then the dollar gains value. With China holding 3 trillion dollars,  every time the US devalued the dollar China lost value. By taking a position in gold:
1) they reduce dollar holdings to buy gold
2) they get a position on both side of the scale
Now as the dollar loses, gold rises and vice versa. And they dont need 3 trillion in gold... just mere 10% of their total reserves acts to buffer losses.  

My understanding also is that historically, China DID have lots of gold, most of which was lost during the great TEA trade with Europe. ( dont recall the specifics). Chinese culture has always been very keen on physical metal with regards to trade. China is now simply in a very good position to get back to where they were with regards to gold to pre- Tea trade.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/23/14 at 13:48:17

What hapens to the dollar when people stop going out and spending money and the Velocity of money grinds to a near standstill? This Ebolla thing has the potential to make people want to stay away from others as much as possible, meaning that discretionary spending will slow dramatically.. I know I dont need a shirt from the mall so badly as to go shopping when Im in a city where I KNOW people have been ex[posed. Ill bet Dallas is already seeing it in their retail outlets.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 10/23/14 at 19:33:32

Nobody in the news is talking about what will happen if Ebola breaks out of Africa and gets loose in China or India. Both countries are third world when it come to sewage treatment and drinking water. With a mortality rate of over 50% I think it would be a pandemic unlike anything the world has ever seen since the Black Plauge.
The economic impact on the world will also be devastating when the two main manufacturing countries loose thier work force because of fear of being in close quarters  with another possibly sick person or loss of the work force due to death from Ebola.
 I wouldn't think that any country will want to import any goods that might of been made in an infected country. I can't see anybody buying a T shirt, boots, socks that were made in China if Ebola is rampant in that country. Look at how Mexico reacted to the cruise ship that had the lab worker on it.
 Hope it doesn't spread but knowing human nature I can't see how it won't.      

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/24/14 at 06:11:12

Good angle to bring manufacturing back to the states and upset China's power (money) grab.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 21:39:01

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › China

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.