Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recommended upgrades for a new savage (Read 226 times)
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Recommended upgrades for a new savage
10/10/14 at 11:41:55

Alright, I'v been looking around on the site for a while and have seen a plethora of mods for this bike and they all seem to have their own specific missions to remedy a particular issue, however I have been a little lost in some much content lol and I had a request for some of you bike guru's out there.

If you where to put in order of importance a list of your recommended modifications so I can get an idea of what I should be prioritizing that would be awesome. I am starting a new job so unfortunately I don't have all the money in the world right now which is one of the main reasons I wanted to do the most important things first.
I generally prioritize reliability, safety, fuel economy, comfort, performance, and last appearance.
I appreciate any suggestions you all might have and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Recommended upgrades for a new savage
Reply #1 - 10/10/14 at 11:51:16

Depending on the mileage. I assume you mean a new s40? or did you get a used Savage and are new to it?

I would get a jet set from Lancer (Check this forums Market place)
I would get a harley Dyna Muffler. (Check tech section for which particular)
I would get a K&N air filter.
If I was a taller person I would consider forward controls.
I keep hearing that the OEM engine guards are useless.
I would get a short spitfire windscreen.
In the future I would get a set of Metzeler tires.
I would purchase EBC FA106 Pads for the front.
I would use Rotella T6 Oil on her.
I would buy a fork brace.

If you bought used and have some mileage on her i'd check the cam chain adjuster before it pops out. (Check tech section)

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/10/14 at 12:05:01

If the bike runs well and does not have any flat spots in the acceleration, don't worry about the jetting.

Stock vacuum petcock....get rid of that ASAP and use a genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock....not some Chinese $ 6 copy.

Air cleaner...the stock paper one works very well, and lasts a long time if you don't ride on dirt roads.  When folks suggest a K&N drop in - it is the replacement for the stock filter - not a cone filter.

The Cam Chain Tensioner needs to be checked as you approach 12,000 miles....sooner if you ride a lot of short trips.

The DYNA muffler is a nice upgrade - if you find the stock muffler just a bit to tame for you.

Ride the darn thing for a year and see what bothers you about the bike.  Saddlebags or some form of storage is nice if you want to carry anything.  A windshield work for some - I have a full face helmet and like to ride without a windshield.....however I have a bike with a windshield and ride that when it is cold or rainy.  My Savage is a fair weather bike if I can plan it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 10/10/14 at 12:21:43

Yes i forgot about the petcock. That too.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/10/14 at 15:07:07

Before I have an opinion I'd wanna know year and miles..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #5 - 10/10/14 at 15:14:12

depending on mileage if its at or around 10,000 id get the

verslavy cam chain tensioner
raptor petcock
I'd rejet it for a 52.5 and 150 even with the stock muffler

nothing else has to be done but when you have money later get youself

Windshield if you do highway driving (I love mine!)
dyna muffler
forward controls if your tall like me
corbin seat or something more cushioned

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 10/11/14 at 08:29:51

I think Dave nailed it well......

Personally speaking of my own experience ( mostly short every day commutes in pacific northwest ).

Rotella

Versy

Metzler or equivalent tires

Wind screen  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/11/14 at 09:53:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/10/14 at 15:07:07:
Before I have an opinion I'd wanna know year and miles..

Iceman4193 wrote on 10/09/14 at 08:52:04:
I recently bought a 2001 ls650 and I have been trying to learn as much as I can about it.  

WWW   IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 10/11/14 at 12:25:15

Depending on what your goal is:

Safety(first):
- Replace the IRC stock tires with not-IRC(tm) tires. The tires that are not-IRC(tm) tires are darn good tires  Smiley
- 90 degree valve stem on the rear wheel to make tire pressure checks easier.

For longevity:
- Verslavy CCT
- Raptor Petcock.
- replace "phillips" screws with stainless hex fasteners (carb, side covers)
- Consider getting rid of the chrome head covers. They serve no purpose.
- Pull the brass plug covering the idle mixture screw. It infringes on your right to adjust your idle mixture.

Comfort:
- Raise the seat height 1 inch.
- Forward controls.
- Install one of the recommended fixes to mark your last fill up. (bike computer, grease pen, luggage lock, knit counter).

There is no "Economy" category, you won that battle when you bought the machine. Now it's all about making it to the "Mileage Hall of Fame".

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
ss652
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buckinghamshire, UK
Reply #9 - 10/11/14 at 12:30:05

I've not had mine long and being bog standard and well maintained when I got it, it starts easily and it runs well all the way through the revs. Couple of observations for improvements are the brakes are crap even for a lightweight bike and it's too quiet. The latter is a matter of taste but I like to be heard. The Dyna exhaust mod is on the list. It already has a fork brace, cam chain tensioner upgrade, petcock upgrade to do away with the vacuum, has been serviced every 2000 miles and has 24000 miles. It's a 1993. I have tried superbike bars and have settled on some custom ones that are between those and the awful buckhorns. Try a few out. Overall it's a fairly easy to work on, cheap to run fun bike. It drew more attention at the local bike shop today than any of the flash Ducati's.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/11/14 at 13:05:50

I sure liked the drag bars that came on my 2005..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/12/14 at 17:06:38

Sorry I forgot to mention it has 18k miles on it.
I have replaced the petcock, got a k&n drop in (what is the difference between the cone and drop in?), new tires, raised the seat.
I'm looking into fixing that awful speedo rattle and getting a Harley dyna. Plus maybe some beach bars for comfort.
When looking for bars how do I know if a bar is compatible with the bike?

I also want extended controls but I'm not sure where to find an affordable pair.
Is it possible to make a pair?

Thanks for the help so far.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/13/14 at 04:08:09

The K&N Drop in goes into the stock air box, and fits just like the original paper filter.  This really isn't a performance upgrade on a stock bike....the paper air filter flows well enough for the needs of the stock carb, cam and muffler.  Over the long run the K&N drop in can save you money as it can be washed, oiled and returned to service.....whereas a paper filter eventually becomes clogged (but that takes a long time if you ride on paved roads).  You might as well just use the paper filter until it is ready to be replaced.

A cone filter clamps on the end of the carb throat and eliminates the stock filter system.  It is more of a "fashion" statement than a performance mod on a stock engine  - as the filter can be seen on the back of the carb, and can be soaked with water when you wash the bike or get caught riding in the rain.

The best way to figure out if you like bars....is sit on someone else's bike and try their bars.  My 2004 had the stock Suzuki Drag bars and risers, and I think they were more comfortable than the buckhorn bars...which seem to require you to angle your wrist in a weird way.

How tall are you?  The forward controls help to adapt the bike to taller riders.  I am 5'-8" and was comfortable with the stock peg location.  And yes, you can make your own if you have fabricating skills......

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:23:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Recommended upgrades for a new savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.