Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bobber seat how to, with words and pictures (Read 140 times)
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Bobber seat how to, with words and pictures
10/10/14 at 01:54:27

Here's a quick description of how I made my bobber seat, for brownie's interest and maybe it will be useful to someone else. If anyone has ideas how I could have done it better, let's hear it  Smiley.

I started up by removing the stock seat and making a cardboard template of a shape I thought looked good and would fit my butt. When I had the shape about right, I folded the template in half and picked the better looking side. Trace that side out on the other side (or a new piece of cardboard) and you ought to have a symmetrical seat pan outline. Note that when you bend it it will be a bit longer when laid out flat, so take that into account.

IMAG0742.jpg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Bobber seat how to, with words and pictures
Reply #1 - 10/10/14 at 01:55:30

Next I traced the cardboard template onto the seat pan material. I used 3mm aluminium sheet, 'cause that's what I had hanging around. Steel would be fine. Cut it out at a mate's house on his bandsaw. Drilled a series of holes around the circumference of the pan, 5mm holes about 3/4" in from the edge and about 1" apart. These are for pop rivets. If I did it again, I'd drill the holes a bit further from the edge, maybe 1" or so. Luckily for me, same mate had a roller at his work, so he took it in and rolled a curve into it. You could do it over a pipe or log or something. He rolled it far too much, and into a kind of even curve, so some tweaking over a log to straighten the front and reduce the curve at the back soon had it looking right, feeling good and fitting the curve of the frame. No pictures of the bare seat pan.

next up I made the brackets. The frame mounted part is the only welding I needed to do. Just cut a peice of 1" x 3mm flat bar the same length as the rear tank mount and drilled holes in same places. Then, bent another piece of same flat bar into a square sided "U" shape with an inside width of about 1". the "U" is welded to the flat piece and a hole drilled through both upright bits.

IMAG0738.jpg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 10/10/14 at 01:55:44

Other half of the seat bracket is made from 1" square tube. 1" x 7" in my case. I cut out most of one side with a hacksaw to have access to the bolt holes. You could use 1" channel instead, to save cutting, but I had the tube hanging around so used it. Drill some holes where you think is best to mount the seat to the bracket, then slot them an inch or so for fore/ aft adjustment.

I drilled a couple holes in the seat pan and fitted some of those dome headed bolts with the square shank from the top side, into the bracket and a couple washers and nuts to hold it together.

IMAG0741.jpg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 10/10/14 at 01:55:56

Drilled a hole in the front of the bracket to match the one on the tank mount and slid a pin in there. the pin just floats and never fall out. It's like a hinge.

IMAG0739.jpg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 10/10/14 at 01:56:30

Covering the pan.
Went to the local upholsterer to get some foam and vinyl. He gave me some offcuts of high density foam and black vinyl big enough to do the job.

Wrapped the rim of the ali pan with electrical tape the sprayed contact glue to pan and foam. Stuck the foam to the pan and trimmed the foam to the pan's outline with a knife. Don't worry about trying to carve a nice profile to the foam just leave it square.
A coat of spray contact glue on foam and vinyl help hold it next. Stick the vinyl to the foam. This bit's easiest if you can keep the vinyl warm and stretchy: Take the vinyl by the front, stretch it and wrap over the nose of the seat. Tuck underneath and poke a hole through it, through the hole in the pan you drilled earlier. Don't poke so far that you go through the foam and the top of the seat cover. That would suck.  Put a pop rivet in there. Use big, short rivets. Do a couple on the nose, then do the same at the back of the seat. Then a couple on each side. Work your way around, stretching as you go, til all the holes have rivets. If you did it right, the cover is on, no wrinkles and nice and tight. Pop all the rivets down. trim the excess vinyl off and call it done  Cool

I would'a never thought that pop rivets would hold the vinyl and they'd pull out. Evidently they can, and they don't.

IMAG0740.jpg
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 10/10/14 at 02:17:38

The seat fits with the pin at the front and the back just sits on the two frame horns the rear fender used to mount from. Some springs back there would be nice but I just put some heater hose on the horns.

It's not completely perfect, but I'm really happy. It's comfortable, looks cool and cost $0. What more do you want?  Cheesy

Hope that helps and as always, my 2c, YMMV etc.
s

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/10/14 at 04:15:36

Ive worked aluminum,, its very stubborn,, You guys did fine,, It Okay if it doesnt look factory built,, better, even, Not just everybody CAN build a seat,, I know how many hours itd take me,, I dont have a roller,,

BUT,,, Ive been collecting stuff to build one,, I could have one if I needed it bad enuff..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
brownie17

Riding the wave.

Indiana
Reply #7 - 10/10/14 at 04:20:35

Nice post.   I appreciate.  I will definitely give it a try.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 10/10/14 at 04:42:25

You know what, JOG? Ali is easier to work if you anneal it first. The way I learned was to coat one side with white soap (like a block of bath soap) and heat from the other side with a big flame oxy torch. When the soap changes colour, the ali is annealed and far easier to work. I never bothered, 'cause my mate has the roller.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/10/14 at 05:01:51

Ya know,, some stuff "anneals" differently than ya'd think,, If you go pounding on copper, it gets hard and brittle, to soften it up, heat it and quench it,, If ya let it slowly cool, it stays hard. Ive never tried aluminum,, Once annealed, how is it UN annealed?
I got instructions from a columnist in a Homesteading magazine, ( mita been Grit) on how to temper metal to make a good punch or chisel. Its not SUPPosed to be so hard as to be brittle to the point of risking it chipping and sending tiny bits flying, but hard enough to cut into something like a black pipe dutchman busted off in a fitting.. It requires a product sold by a multilevel marketing bunch,, Its on a piece of cardboard taped to the wall in the shop.. And IF you ever need to heat metal to a target temperature and youve no way to gauge the temp of the metal, go to a welding supply house. They have "crayons" that change color at certain temps. Theyre spensive, BUT,, IF thats what ya need,, Like if youre wanting to weld cast irone, ya gotta have rods that contain Nickel and ya gotta pre-heat the area to a set range,, I was gonna TRY to save a vise,, It cost $26.00,, The rods and the crayon cost $20.00,, so, I bought a new one.. Smiley

You have a rose-bud tip for the torch? You use acetylene or propane? I use propane,, its a little slower BUT Ohh BOY is it cheaper.. Takes a different cutting tip.. The brazing tips work okay,, but I wonder if theyd be easier to work with if they had acetylene.. But, a bottle of O2 mite last me a year, so,, Im not gonna spend the $$$ to find out, I dont do enough cutting and brazing usually for it to matter. I have a Smith medium sized torch and a small OHHH, dang,, its the most common maker,, senior moment,, sorry, torch.. I got a rosebud because I bent a wheel up REAL bad on the backhoe, I was running from a fire. I WAS fighting the fire, rolled over a Burned to a point stump, ruined the tire and hadda get away, so, the rim was bent all to crap.. IIRC I went thru 2 bottles of O2 in 4 days as I heated and beat it back to functionality.. Its tubeless and holds air just fine,, Beating on it was like hammering on a huge bell.. No dogs would get close.. I poked wires in the ground for gauges,, and used my experienced eyeballs,, Youd never know by looking what a disaster it was.. I TRIED to find a wheel,, but after 2 or 3 days of calling junk yards I gave up and just fixed the dang thing..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/10/14 at 05:10:15

gizzo wrote on 10/10/14 at 04:42:25:
You know what, JOG? Ali is easier to work if you anneal it first. The way I learned was to coat one side with white soap (like a block of bath soap) and heat from the other side with a big flame oxy torch. When the soap changes colour, the ali is annealed and far easier to work. I never bothered, 'cause my mate has the roller.

I have read about that system being used to soften aluminum - however the instructions always include a cold water quench immediately after the heating is complete.  For things like clutch and brake levers they claim the aluminum hardens again in a few days.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 10/10/14 at 14:07:22

Dave, I forgot to mention the quenching part. Thanks. I was taught the soap way by my tech teacher in high school. I remember the project I made using that technique was turning a flat Ali plate into a soup ladle, just beating it round with a mallet over one of those stock things you stick into a bench. Can't remember the name of those things. He taught back then that the part will re-harden in a few days. Still have that ladle somewhere.
JOG, I don't know what a rosebud is. I got the welding and cutting torches and a great big multi heater. Uses too much gas and that's very expensive here. Have a little o2/propane set as well. It's good for brazing and silver solder. Sounds like the wheel was an epic project,nice work  Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/10/14 at 17:14:37

Epic,, fitting word.. Having been a body man a few years and having built a few things, heating and shaping steel, it was more tedious than technically difficult. Of course putting the"steps" back where they belong Was a challenge..
So,I anneal aluminum, and it just goes back to how it was,all by itself? UHHH, I don't get it.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 10/10/14 at 19:50:10

Just had a quick google: annealing ali, you don't quench it, let it cool slowly. Anyway, makes it nice and malleable.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 10/10/14 at 20:21:27

correct, heat it up, let it cool slowly, and it'll stay soft.
but heat it up, quench it and it'll get hard after 4 days.
the heat treaters at work say, this is an unstable state and will have hard and soft spots.  you have to heat it again for a few hours.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:17:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bobber seat how to, with words and pictures

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.