Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
decomp nonsense goodbye (Read 123 times)
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
decomp nonsense goodbye
10/09/14 at 20:34:52

I tried to look in the technical section but couldn't find anything. how do you take the little lever with spring and nut assembly apart?

IMG_20141009_203522.jpg

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Re: decomp nonsense goodbye
Reply #1 - 10/09/14 at 22:15:56

undo the bolt by the nut and bolt (if that makes sense) front of motor in ur pick,then it will just slide out (if you've taken cable off  Smiley

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/09/14 at 22:45:40

most likely has loctite on it.
probably easier to remove the bolt near the valve inspection cover.
then you can pull the whole thing out.
heat should burn out the loctite.
you'll need to put the shaft back in to prevent leaking.
or find something to replace it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/10/14 at 04:04:57

You do know it saves the starter motor, right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/10/14 at 04:51:25

Not sure why you want to take it off....you can just unhook the cable and stop using it.....most of the time.  The compression release is necessary.....sometimes.  I rode for about a year without a functioning compression release, I had built a hand lever that used a Honda CR lever up on the clutch lever mount - but it did not have enough leverage to open the exhaust valves if they were closed.  I only ride in warm weather, the bike is stored indoors, and about once out of every 50 starts the cylinder was on the compression stroke and the starter could not push the piston past top dead center....and it would just stop.  I would have to immediately let go of the starter button, put the bike in gear and roll it forward to get the piston off the compression stroke, and then put the bike back in neutral and hit the starter button.  I have a Wiseco and the starter motor just cannot push the piston over if the piston is going up on the compression stroke when you hit the starter button.

Now I built a system that uses a BMX bicycle brake lever and I had to make a longer lever for the compression release shaft to allow more cable travel.  If I stall the bike at an intersection I can pull in the clutch and compression release lever at the same time and get the bike started quickly - I would think the hand levers on the top of the cylinder and under the fuel tank would be very difficult it you needed to use it in a hurry.

If you ride when it is cold and the oil is thick and the battery is weak....a working compression release is a necessity.  Suzuki would not have put this system on if it was not necessary....they have cut costs everywhere they could on this bike.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 10/10/14 at 05:09:10

Daang! Thats a Very neat and clean set-up, Dave.. TRuly, by definition, elegant.

el·e·gant
ˈeləɡənt/
adjective
pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or manner.
"she will look elegant in black"
synonyms:      stylish, graceful, tasteful, sophisticated, classic, chic, smart, fashionable, modish; More
antonyms:      gauche
(of a scientific theory or solution to a problem) pleasingly ingenious and simple.
"the grand unified theory is compact and elegant in mathematical terms"
synonyms:      neat, simple, effective; More

The Versy is another example of Savage problem solving that falls under that definition. Actually, I like the T-kat fork brace design,, particularly for the Brats and Rats and Bobbers  Now,, a stocker or one thats set up with a windshield and bags, I like the Superbrace for those applications.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #6 - 10/10/14 at 07:14:35

oh i gotcha. im not gonna remove it permanently. i jst wanna change the spring out with one that will take up the slack. there is a bit of rotation on that shaft before it actually does any work. gonna get some sort of pull knob deal for it. got my entire bike apart, figure i'd do away with the nonsense.

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #7 - 10/10/14 at 08:23:53

...and thnx again for helping me out. y'all and this forum help make owning this bike fun.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/10/14 at 08:33:39

Boogieman wrote on 10/10/14 at 07:14:35:
gonna get some sort of pull knob deal for it. got my entire bike apart, figure i'd do away with the nonsense.

Well if you are going to use a pull knob.....You better start working out with some really heavy weights!  It takes a whole lot of pull to move that lever if the exhaust valve is in the closed position....you have to lift hard enough to lift both exhaust valves off the seats....not just one.  My first attempt at a lever was not successful, as I needed to make a longer lever at the engine to get more leverage.  That electric solenoid must pull pretty darn hard!

And yes, the spring on the lever has just enough pull to return the lever close to fully returned.  It only needs to pull 5" of cable in the stock mode.

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #9 - 10/10/14 at 13:02:18

huh....there is obviously something i dnt understand. i jst reached down and pulled up on it. there is a little bit of slop then the flat edge of that bolt piece starts hitting the top of..what is that?, rocker arm. but only one of them that i can see thru that port gets pushed down on. u telling me there will be a time when it will be pushing on both and will require twice as much force?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/10/14 at 13:20:45

The rocker arm is forked....when that little decompression cam pushes on the left side......it will also be pushing down on the right side valve at the same time.  Same as the cam does - when the rocker moves it moves both valves.

You pulled up and the little cam started to touch the rocker arm - but were you able to actually get the lever to move into the upright position with your fingers?

arm-exhaust-valve-rocker_medium1285024B10-01_644e.jpg

IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #11 - 10/10/14 at 13:32:48

ya i can jst lift up on the lever and i can see it pushing down on the rocker arm.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 10/10/14 at 15:14:15

Boogieman wrote on 10/10/14 at 13:02:18:
huh....there is obviously something i dnt understand. i jst reached down and pulled up on it. there is a little bit of slop then the flat edge of that bolt piece starts hitting the top of..what is that?, rocker arm. but only one of them that i can see thru that port gets pushed down on. u telling me there will be a time when it will be pushing on both and will require twice as much force?

If you were able to pull that lever up, it was on the exhaust stroke... i.e., the cam pushed the rocker for you.

WWW   IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #13 - 10/10/14 at 16:25:19

"The Versy is another example of Savage problem solving that falls under that definition. Actually, I like the T-kat fork brace design,, particularly for the Brats and Rats and Bobbers."

wats the T-kat fork brace design?

Cam was helping?  shoot, I guess I'll find out the first time I try and fire her up

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 10/10/14 at 17:03:53

Put it in gear and work it to the compression stroke,then pull the decompression into place.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:24:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › decomp nonsense goodbye

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.