Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Big rpm drop on decel (Read 61 times)
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Big rpm drop on decel
10/09/14 at 08:52:04

Hey everyone, my first thread here but I have been reading on the site for a while.
I recently bought a 2001 ls650 and I have been trying to learn as much as I can about it.
I did some changes to it already like swapping out the petcock for the raptor, changing the air filter for a k&n drop in, and Richening the idle mixture a bit to stop backfire.
However, I noticed that when I let up on the gas to shift or slow down, the engine rpm drops very low. In some cases, mainly 1st the 2nd gear and 5th to 4th gear, the engine will actually shut off.
So far I turned the idle speed up a bit which seemed to help but it definitely up higher than normal. My guess is that I need to rejet after I changed the petcock and filter but I wanted to be sure.
Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Big rpm drop on decel
Reply #1 - 10/09/14 at 09:02:02

An rpm dropping below idle then recovering when closing the throttle is generally an indication of a too-rich idle.  If you enrichened the idle mix to control backfires, you probably went too far. You probably need to lean it back out a little.

The saying around here is to "tune for good performance, not for controlling backfires."

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/09/14 at 09:45:33

The Number One LAW, not rule, Maintain an idle above 1,000.. If youre trying to idle low to enjoy that Thump,, the head will die, due to lack of oil on the cam journals. So, Get the idle at 1,000 ish, tune accordingly,, Theres a TEV or some such wonkoid thing on the right side of the carb, Throttle enrichment valve, I wanna say.. It can be dirty or need the spring tension "adjusted".. Theres some guys here whove Been there,, so,, You hang in here and one or 2 who KNOW fo Sho will be along..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/10/14 at 11:33:25

bobert_FSO wrote on 10/09/14 at 09:02:02:
An rpm dropping below idle then recovering when closing the throttle is generally an indication of a too-rich idle.  If you enrichened the idle mix to control backfires, you probably went too far. You probably need to lean it back out a little.

The saying around here is to "tune for good performance, not for controlling backfires."  

I tried to follow the instructions I found here but I may have made a mistake.
I turned the screw all the way in,  then 2 turns out and started the bike. I turned it out till the rpm started to drop then found a good middle ground where the rpm was the highest, then adjusted the idle speed to what I thought was about 1k. However when I started to get the issue I turned up the idle a bit higher which stopped it from dying but the rpm still drops a lot and my low and mid range is a little sluggish.

I thought maybe the Jets where to small with the new air filter and petcock so I was running lean but I'm not sure now.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/10/14 at 12:11:01

If you achieve the best idle with the idle mixture screw somewhere between 1.5 - 2.5 turns out....your pilot jet size is good.  If you get close to 3 then the pilot jet is too small, if you can almost turn the screw all the way in...the pilot jet is too large.

If when you begin to apply some throttle, and you get a hesitation or uneven acceleration up to about 1/8th-1/4 throttle....and it accelerates well when you give it 1/2 or more throttle....you need to do the white spacer mod and remove the white spacer and install 3 washers.  If the hesitation is better but still noticeable, then remove 1 washer so that you have 2 washers on the needle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Iceman4193

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/12/14 at 12:24:09

Dave wrote on 10/10/14 at 12:11:01:
If you achieve the best idle with the idle mixture screw somewhere between 1.5 - 2.5 turns out....your pilot jet size is good.  If you get close to 3 then the pilot jet is too small, if you can almost turn the screw all the way in...the pilot jet is too large.

If when you begin to apply some throttle, and you get a hesitation or uneven acceleration up to about 1/8th-1/4 throttle....and it accelerates well when you give it 1/2 or more throttle....you need to do the white spacer mod and remove the white spacer and install 3 washers.  If the hesitation is better but still noticeable, then remove 1 washer so that you have 2 washers on the needle.

That's the next thing I am going to try.  
Thanks for the help

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 18:23:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big rpm drop on decel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.