Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
New toy to play with
10/07/14 at 16:48:11

Well Guys,

I went and bought a 2005 Ninja 250. 13k miles, new michelin tires, runs good, rides good, got a huge dent in the gas tank where the PO dropped it.

Got it for good price though, so I can't complain.

Boy it sure does wind up to just barely move.  45 mph at 5k rpm.  It's gonna take some getting used to.

It does handle rather respectably though.

Now if somebody could figure how to get a savage engine on that frame without destroying it when you twisted the throttle, that would be a real fun bike, sport handling and go when you twist the throttle.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New toy to play with
Reply #1 - 10/07/14 at 16:57:25

I'll bet there are plenty of good sites where you can get All the How To stuff..Those are some popular bikes.. Kinda like a Ruger 22 rifle.. People either want one or have one..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/08/14 at 03:37:53

Steve:

I got a Ninjette a couple of months ago....and it is a lot of fun.  Below 8,000 rpm it rides like a little 250 and doesn't get anybody's attention, except for the bright green paint.  Above 8,000 rpm it comes alive and is a lot of fun.  It can cruise well at 75mph/9,000 rpm all day on the highway.

I found this forum to be a great place to learn stuff about the Ninja.  The way the forum is set up is not nearly as nice as this forum......when somebody posts you can't read the whole thread and you have to keep opening up comments....then hit the "back" button a bunch of times to get back to the menu....it is irritating.  They have a Classified section and you can get some good deals on parts - but the forum is not nearly as active as ours.
http://forums.ninja250.org/

However.....they have a very advanced How To area that goes into depth on a lot of issues like engine mods, tires, riding, etc.  It is not interactive and just good informative reading.  It would be nice if we could set up something similar for those issues that keep getting repeated like when someone loses a key, wants new tires, is choosing an oil to use, needs a cam chain tensioner, etc.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page

And if you keep the fluids changed and do maintenance - they can be durable.  One fellow went 87,000 miles on the first engine before his cam chain was too loose and the tensioner had reached it's limit (sound familiar) - but the Ninja engine needs a case split to change the cam chain so he just bought a low mileage replacement engine and has gone past 120,000 miles on the bike.

I ride mine when I have chance of getting wet instead of taking the Cafe Savage.  The Ninjette has fenders and body work that keep me drier if the roads get wet - or when I am going on short ride around the neighborhood.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 10/08/14 at 03:49:57

It has a headlight...I mean one you can actually use to see where you are going.

I haven't looked much but there's a little bit of everything for it out there. I did see somewhere where there are 2 different aftermarket stators for it. Highest output one doubles your charging output.

After having a little while to look it over, things seem pretty decent on it.  It's missing several screws out of the fairings. I wonder if any of the maintenance has been done on it. The chain is extremely rusty and showed no signs of any lubricant. That got fixed.

It might have a little carb issues.  The oil in the sight glass is BLACK. Guess it's oil change time. Just bought a new jug of Rotella last week. Was wondering why I did that.

It's a completely different ride than the Savage. Holds 4.8 gallons of gas with mileage around the 70's. I wish it had the immediate go like the savage when you twist the throttle.

Guess I'll find out more about it as I have time with it.  Overall, I think I like it.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 10/08/14 at 16:43:36

Dave,

Thanks for the info.  I will have to take a look around that site.

It already looks like I need to find out how to go about an oil change and how to clean the carbs.

My rear shock kind of 'farts' sometimes when I hit a good bump. So, I bounced on the seat and sure enough, it's the rear shock making the noise.

I'm hoping it will work out to be a good bike and not need a lot of tinkering.  

Have you had a chance to get about anything with the cafe conversion.  That sounds interesting but, not my style. Really like the way your Savage turned out, by the way.

Many times I don't stop and compliment work when I really should.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/08/14 at 17:57:41

Steve:

I just came back from a ride around the neighborhood on the Ninjette.  I was seeding and aerating the lawn, and going for lap is a good way to settle down before I go into the house. I just have to go slow and watch for deer as the daylight fades away.  My evening laps are generally the 25-35 mph stuff on country roads.

I sent an email to Blue Collar Bobber....but they never responded.  I wanted to know if they could sell me the kit without their front tire and substitute the mirrors.  I am pretty fussy about my front tire and I don't want the oversize tire they include in the kit....and it is not a great tire they offer.  In the next week or two I will call with my credit card in hand and see if they are more agreeable.

When I start pulling things apart - you are welcome to any fairing fasteners you are missing.

Thanks for the compliments on my Cafe' Savage.  It really turned out to be a great running and looking bike.  It all worked out the way I had hoped it would.  This winter I will be working on making the handlebars at a better angle for comfort, installing ShawnRYCA's big front brake, and getting a new leather seat made.

Dave

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 10/08/14 at 18:03:30

Shocking farts,, that's me.
Farting shocks?

That's beyond my comprehension.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/09/14 at 05:33:29

If you need a new shock...evidently the ZX600 shock is a bolt on upgrade, and it has a air bladder so you can adjust the rate.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rear_suspension_upgrades

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 10/09/14 at 09:28:40

LoL, I see the little ninja fever is catching....

Although since mine is a 300, I will call it a Ninjino' or something....

Like they say, I like a bike that I can use ALL of the throttle and have an enjoyable experience. Not one where I use half the throttle and crap my pants trying to keep it on the road.

Roll Eyes Grin Grin Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 10/10/14 at 07:05:52

I just got finished going over it pretty well.  Been working and the little time in the evenings isn't the greatest to check something over really well.

I found a loose motor mount bolt.  Guess that explains the occasional sort of rattly knock under hard acceleration.  It's not the engine...sound was too far back and I could see evidence of it moving a little in the mount.  Had to go buy a bolt.  Kid I got it from had tried to put an SAE nut on a metric bolt.  Went to the local nut, bolt, and tool store.  They have everything and it didn't cost $12 either.

I adjusted the chain.  It had way too much free motion.

Got the front end up and checked it. Moves really smooth and no loose motion or tight spots.

Dave, thanks for the offer on the fasteners.  I might just take you up on it.  Most of the ones I have looked at, the heads are rounded out from using the wrong screwdriver. Some of them, I wonder how he ever got them back in they are so bad.

One side of my gauge cluster is apparently not fastened down.  It moves around a little over bumps.

I need a right front turn signal and the little flat mounty thing. I'll fab something up for now. I've got some old goldwing turn signals.

The kid I got it from only put 600 miles on it.  His title was issued in early september.  I bought it Oct 6. In that time, he did manage to wreck it leaving a few skinned spots and a great dent in the tank.  The steering stop on the right side is also broken.  It will turn much sharper to the right and never hits a stop. The left does hit its stop.

I've only had the chance to put about 50 miles on it so far.  Sort of taking it easy and trying to find out all the little things it needs and its riding quirks. Probably won't get many more miles this weekend.  It's supposed to storm this afternoon and tomorrow.

Old Rider, I'm with you.  It's a blast to ride the heck out of something like that. Not much fun to horse a big, heavy bike and just be able to barely crack the throttle before some LEO might have a problem with you. I've heard all sorts of good things about the little ninja over the years.  Biggest complaints I've heard have been about riding comfort for some of the larger guys and it won't go 0 to 60 in 3 sec.

The kid I got it from said he's going to get a Ninja 600. Given the month he had this one and the damage he did to it, I wish him luck and hope he makes it. I would say he's just barely 18 and says he learned all he can from this little bike.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/10/14 at 08:52:38

Steve H wrote on 10/10/14 at 07:05:52:
The kid I got it from said he's going to get a Ninja 600. Given the month he had this one and the damage he did to it, I wish him luck and hope he makes it. I would say he's just barely 18 and says he learned all he can from this little bike.

What a shame, I have been riding a long time.....and the little Ninjette still has more ability than I do and has things to teach me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKDN3okg4ko

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/10/14 at 09:02:41

Dave wrote on 10/10/14 at 08:52:38:
Steve H wrote on 10/10/14 at 07:05:52:

What a shame, I have been riding a long time.....and the little Ninjette still has more ability than I do and has things to teach me.

1 thing it didn't teach him is to tell his friends when to go take a flying F.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 10/10/14 at 18:25:48

That's the truth.  He's a small oriental kid...maybe 5'6" and 120-140.  That 250 should have gone really well with him on it and been quite comfortable.

Guess he's got the speed fever though.  He seems like a pretty nice kid. I tried to tell him to take it real easy with that 600. He already wrecked a much smaller and slower bike. And that the 600 will give him plenty of power to get him in lots of trouble real quick.  It seemed to pretty much go in one ear and out the other.

There is a lot  to be learned from a smaller bike that you won't learn on the big ones.  It'll force you to have good lines going through a curve if you want to keep your speed up. It'll teach you good gear and brake management. You'll learn to ride the bike, not just get on and go fast in a straight line.

I know it's got some things to teach me.  I've ridden all sorts of bikes and each and every one has had its own things to teach me from tiny dirt bikes to big heavy touring bikes.

I kind of feel a little sorry for him that he will never learn and enjoy just what the little ninja can do and how to do it safely.  It's going to leave a gap in his abilities that may cause him problems later. I rode a Honda CB350 for years and had a blast on it.  It was low on power, slow compared to much of the other stuff on the road at that time yet I always kept up with everyone I rode with no matter what they were on except in long straights where they would run it up just to see what they could do for the fun of it. When it came to curves, the little 350 was usually near the front of the pack. Smaller bikes can be a real blast.

Now, I've got a nice little bike for fun flicking it around and a nice cruiser for relaxed rides. Both get good mileage and have plenty of power/speed for anywhere I will likely ride. I should be set.

Now, if I can get the restoration done on the 76 goldwing, that'll give me a big rolling couch for long trips that isn't too bad in town.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/10/14 at 19:57:07

Power can hide some mistakes,and underscore others. It can underscore the birthday on a tombstone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:21:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › New toy to play with

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.