Savage dual sport tire (Read 97 times)
YaJest
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Savage dual sport tire
10/07/14 at 11:32:01

Hey suzuki fans,
Im new to this forum and I have some questions for you experts.
Im looking for a dual sport rear tire for my '96 savage. I know there are tons of options for the front, but i'm having a hard time finding anything with a 15 rim size for the back.
I am in the process of making my bike into a bobber/cafe racer.  Or really just a cafe racer with a bobber seat. I'll post pics along the way im just stuck on this tire right at the moment.
Any tips appreciated!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Savage dual sport tire
Reply #1 - 10/07/14 at 11:53:40

Nothing that I know of...  need to lace up a taller rim...
Bridgestone makes 0ne 16" Dp tire, it's for an NX250...
17" or 18" has better options...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/07/14 at 12:39:33

Yeah...I think Bot has it.....you need a larger diameter rim to get you out of the Cruiser tires and into the Dual Sport tires.

I have to say that I have been incredibly impressed by the road holding abilities of dual sport or adventure touring tires.  Back when I had an Enduro the Universal Trials tire was the only tire you could buy for a on/off road bike.  They were not all that good of tire in the dirt or on the street.

I ride with some friends that have V-Stroms, and they can corner just as fast as I dare to follow.  One time MMRanch and I were left behind by a local fellow on a DR650 while at the Dragon.....he knew the road and knew how to ride.....we think it was Phil from the Bluegrass Motorcycle Campground - but we couldn't catch him to find out!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/08/14 at 09:57:23

Before you start to make a rear rim conversion - be sure to check the rim width recommendations for the size of tire you are planning.  A lot of modern tires are being built to fit wider rims than were used on the older bikes.  The rear tire can be up to about a 130/70-18.  Beyond that width and height you are going to have problems with the swing arm being too close to the front of the tire.  You might be able to use a 17" diameter rim - although you might need to have special spokes made.  I know Buchanan makes spokes for the 18" rim.

If you put too wide of a tire on a narrow rim - you pull in the beads and make the profile of the tire too round, and it rolls the tread over onto the sides where you can never use it.

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/705-series

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
PinkHelmet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mangalia, Romania, Europe.
Reply #4 - 10/08/14 at 10:27:20

There used to be (at least in the USA) available a Kingstone dual sport tire in 130/90-15 size.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=5394

Out of my mind. Back in 5'...
rusuac   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:26:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage dual sport tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.