Question for Oldfeller (Read 101 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Question for Oldfeller
10/06/14 at 06:49:52

I need your recommendation. My trusty old Toshiba laptop bit the dust after almost a decade and I am in the market for a replacement but want something small I can pack on the bike for road/camping trips. I want to move to a tablet, at least I think I do.

Uses:
1. E-mail read and write with ability to attach photos.
2. Kindle app so I can download and read a book at the camp site.
3. Good to great battery life.
4. On-board Wifi. I don't want to pay for 4G service. There are enough Starbucks and McDonald's around with free Wifi to grab my e-mail while on the road.
5. Maybe a built in camera.
6. Web surfing so I can log onto SuzukiSavage.com and other sites.

So, with that in mind, what do you recommend? I looked and listened to a very knowledgeable kid at Best Buy yesterday and he recommended several, one with a stripped down Win8 O/S and the Kindle Fire HDX. I like them both.

So, point me in the right direction if you will and please keep in mind at all times I am an idiot. No, I really am, no joke. Oh, and money is a consideration.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Question for Oldfeller
Reply #1 - 10/06/14 at 07:47:48

I bought a couple of 7" tablets to get the kids off their XP laptops for web surfing, social apps, and games.  I also bought my dad the 10" for his use since the great grand kids stole his laptop.  (wasn't permanently affixed to his lap so they figured he wasn't using it)

Hisense Pro Sero 7
Asus Memo 10

Typing in either is a chore, they do "speak and spell" for you, but I found you need to correct a lot.  Keyboards are available.

for traveling, unless you're visually impaired, the 7" would be my recommendation.

And you can get refurbs quite cheaply... $50 and $120, respectively.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/06/14 at 08:43:10

Sounds like you are hunting a good reason to get a tablet.

Here is the only main downside to a 10" tablet -- they don't post or type worth a shite.

If you mostly read and not write posts, then you are likely OK with either one.

If you type a lot, get the refurb laptop.

For the same money as a good tablet you can buy a refurb laptop.

I generally hunt around and buy something cheap with an eye to replacing it when the current something better comes out.

If you are in a bind with no machine right now, you will likely pay more for a new product.  

Try and get one with upgrade rights to Win 10 when you do buy it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 10/09/14 at 11:11:35

Go to your nearest Wally World.... yeah I shop there...

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=refurbished%20laptops

you can buy them with extended plans, that will get them repaired....of course if it does go poop on you, you will have to wait until it gets back....probably about a month or two...

But I have purchased my last two laptops from there.... my little 14" asus I am using as my "software experiment" and my 17" HP I use for gaming.

Here read the reviews on this one.... scroll all the way to the bottom...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Refurbished-Black-11.6-C720-2827-Chromebook-PC...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/12/14 at 13:54:50

Well, I went to Office Max this afternoon to pick up a shipping box and walked by the laptop and tablet counter. After looking at all the tablets I decided I would be better off with a Windows system rather than an Android or whatever Kindle uses to promote Amazon products. They had a Dell tablet for $200 with Win8. Looking at the laptops, I spotted an Asus 17" with Win8, an Intel processor of some sort, 4GB Ram and a 500GB hard drive. Not that I know what any of that means other than more RAM runs sloppy code quicker and a bigger hard drive seems to impress the women.

It was on sale at $249, down from $379. It was the demo and the only one they had left. I got another 20% off and, after they restored the desk top configuration to new, walked out for $210.94 including sales tax.

The last time I set up a new pc at home was six or seven years ago and it took hours. This thing configured itself in about five minutes and that included the time it took me to find the password to the wifi. When I went to load the printer, it had already done it.

So, I have a learning curve for Win8 but so far, so good.

Good Hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 10/12/14 at 20:26:23

Congratulations! That was a good deal, did you get an extended warrenty? I always get some kind of warrenty with windows machines.
Have only sent back two in the last 15 yrs or so, but its money well spent IF you need to use it.
Your windows 8 is pretty much point and click, but at one point if you don't have ver 8.1 it will force you to load it up.
Don't fight it, just load it (8.1 that is) and keep clicking.
I have had problems with green screen videos, but there are settings you can do to make them work, i'm not sure anyone understands why it is happening, even them windows folks.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:12:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Question for Oldfeller

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.