Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2006 S40 Headlight/Running Light/Horn Issue (Read 273 times)
robertc729
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2006 S40 Headlight/Running Light/Horn Issue
09/30/14 at 21:12:51

My wife rides a 2006 S40, while out for a ride I noticed her headlight and front signals were not lit. The front running lights work when the turn signal switch is pressed in either direction just not lit as they normally were when the bike is turned on. The horn does not work either. I have checked both 20amp fuses under the seat and both tested good. The owners manual only lists the 2 20 amp fuses. Any suggestions or ideas on what to try next?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 2006 S40 Headlight/Running Light/Horn Issue
Reply #1 - 09/30/14 at 21:32:14

sounds like the left control connector has worked loose.
under the tank, left side, near the neck.

WWW   IP Logged
robertc729
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/01/14 at 06:28:22

Thanks, I'll check that out on Friday and report back my findings from there.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #3 - 10/01/14 at 08:37:02

Yep, that connector, I have the same intermittent problem from time to time, connection keeps getting lose.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 10/02/14 at 13:11:06

I have the same problem with my 06 as well.  On mine it is the connector on the right side.  Or, I have more than 1 issue.  I don't understand how it could be that, but when you touch it, the lights horn, turn signals cut on and off.  I really don't want to cut & splice 8 wires, but I'll probably have to.  If you got any thoughts, please feel free to post.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 10/02/14 at 15:16:02

pg wrote on 10/02/14 at 13:11:06:
I have the same problem with my 06 as well.  On mine it is the connector on the right side.  Or, I have more than 1 issue.  I don't understand how it could be that, but when you touch it, the lights horn, turn signals cut on and off.  I really don't want to cut & splice 8 wires, but I'll probably have to.  If you got any thoughts, please feel free to post.

My understanding the power goes up the left handle bar.  How is this possible?  Please HELP!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/02/14 at 15:19:59

Arnold wrote on 10/01/14 at 08:37:02:
Yep, that connector, I have the same intermittent problem from time to time, connection keeps getting lose.

Get some skinny tie wraps and link them together if ya hafta to get around, between the wires and hold it together.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/03/14 at 04:23:59

pg wrote on 10/02/14 at 15:16:02:
pg wrote on 10/02/14 at 13:11:06:

My understanding the power goes up the left handle bar.  How is this possible?  Please HELP!  

When the electric power goes up the left handlebar.......it does so by the wiring harness that goes up to the left switch assembly - not through the handlebar itself.

You need to study the wiring harness a bit....it provides a lot of information will help you sort things out.  The wire colors and the stripes or dashes all tell what is going on.

The red or orange wires provide the positive power supply to the devices and switches.

Black wires with white stripes are ground wires.
The solid black wire is the left turn signal.
The mint green wire is the right turn signal.
The larger yellow wire is the high beam headlight, the smaller yellow wire is the wire for the high beam indicator in the speedometer.
The white wire is the low beam headlight.
The dark blue wire is the neutral light.
The brown wire at the rear of the bike is the tail light and license plat light.
At the front of the bike the running lights are gray.
The brake light at the back is white with a black tracer.

When a wire has two colors - that means it comes through a switch.  That means that unless you have that switch turned on - you will not be able to measure any power in the wire.

To isolate electric problems, you need to start testing at the battery and work your way forward.  First ground your voltmeter and see if you read 12 volts at the battery positive terminal.  Then go to the fuses and see if you get power on both sides of the fuses.  Then go to the electrical connectors under the tank and see if you have 12 volts a the orange wire.  Then go to the electrical controls on the handlebars and see if the orange wires are supplying 12 volts.  Then start testing for power at the both sides (in/out) of the switches....when the switch is turned on.

Sometimes you can tell a bit by watching what does or doesn't work.  If you turn on your high beam and the headlight doesn't work - but the high beam indicator light does....then you either have a burned out bulb or the wire between the switch and headlight is faulty.  If you have a high beam light but no low beam - then again it is either the bulb or the wire or the switch....and not the power supply to the switch.  You need to learn how to bypass the kickstand and clutch safety switches to help diagnose starting and running quirks.

It is sometimes hard to diagnose electric problems on your bike - it is really hard to do it on a forum.  You need to thoroughly explain what you have tested and what does and doesn't work.

Link to the wiring diagrams.  Some early bikes will have colors different than later bikes.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
robertc729
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/03/14 at 13:14:49

So I checked the connectors on the left side today, that did not fix the issue.  I can do some mechanical stuff, but electrical really is not my thing.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 10/03/14 at 16:24:21

Dave wrote on 10/03/14 at 04:23:59:
 You need to thoroughly explain what you have tested and what does and doesn't work.

Dave:

Thanks for the detailed post, I appreciate it.  I will try to be more thorough.  I put in the key in and:

Works:
The bike starts and runs well
Turn signals work
Brake light works

Does Not Work:
The head light does not come on
The running light does not come on
The horn does not work

The connector under the tank on the right when you are sitting on the bike is causing an issue.  If you bump it the running lights & horn work.  The head light will come on when you hit the passing button.  If you bump that same connector everything cuts off that I described.  The part that is really confusing to me is that the power to all that should be going through the connector that is located on the left side of the tank.  

I have tested all the wires with a multi-meter and when the connector under the right side of the tank is working correctly and power is distributed through everything properly.  At this point everything works properly excluding the headlight.  I must push the passing button to get this to work.  

I tried using contact cleaner on that connector and no luck.  I purchased a used but in good shape connector that goes to the throttle on the right side of the handle bar.  Same problem?  I put in a new battery and experienced the same problem; although, this time I blew a fuse.

This leads me to believe I have a short as well as an issue with that connector.  I don’t want to cut & splice the 8 (or so) wires under the tank on the right side.  I also think there is a problem with the high/low beam indicator located on the left handle bar.  Does that sound fairly accurate?  I was about to start cutting & splicing; but, then the fuse went out.

So I am really confused at this point.  I tried to provide as much info as I am capable of giving my limited expertise.  I don’t know what else to test or what course of action I should take.  Hence, please point me in the right direction.  I appreciate the help, thanks.

Best regards,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/03/14 at 19:16:01

Well.....I don't have time to look at the diagram right now.  But it could be that the ground wire for all those things passes through the right side connector.

Try running a wire from the black ground on the back of the headlight to a bolt on the frame....and see what happens.

Dave

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 10/03/14 at 19:21:41

Do you mean I should I pull back the plastic and connect a wire?  I suppose I could use those alligator things.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/04/14 at 04:56:11

Now that I am more awake, I still haven't seen any information about how you are testing anything.

If you pull the headlight plug, and place your volt meter between the yellow wire and black ground, and then have the switch to high beam and turn in the ignition...do you get 12 volts?  Try the same on the white wire with the switch in the low beam position.  If nothing....then try the same test with the volt meter using a grounded bolt on the frame.  You need to determine the ground wire is good.

For the test I suggested last night - you should be able to shove a bare wired in the back of the headlight connector plug and touch the connector for the black wire.....and then touch the other end of that wire to a grounded bolt on the frame...maybe even the handlebars (I am not sure how well the handlebars are grounded through the steering stem bearings).

Just to make sure we are getting our right/left connectors correct.  I am taking about left as you are sitting on the bike.  That connector goes to the left handlebar control which has the high/low beam switch, the horn switch, the turn signal switch, the clutch safety switch, and on later bikes a Passing switch for the headlight.  The right connector and right handlebar electric control has the front brake light, the Kill switch and the starter button.....and on later bike the hazard switch.

I looked at the diagram and I did not see any ground wire issue on the right connector that would affect the left side.  On the left side of the bike a large orange wire brings electricity up to the connector, and then the wire color switches to red/black up to the handlebar switch.  You need to confirm the power is getting to those wires.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 10/04/14 at 08:53:50

I don't know how it does it either but if the connector under the right side of the tank comes loose, the lights go out as well as, on mine, the ignition.  I found that out through experience.

Been looking over the wiring diagrams on my model and can't find a reason why either unless maybe it's something to do with the kill switch.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #14 - 10/04/14 at 14:53:13

Dave wrote on 10/04/14 at 04:56:11:
Now that I am more awake, I still haven't seen any information about how you are testing anything.

If you pull the headlight plug, and place your volt meter between the yellow wire and black ground, and then have the switch to high beam and turn in the ignition...do you get 12 volts?  Try the same on the white wire with the switch in the low beam position.  If nothing....then try the same test with the volt meter using a grounded bolt on the frame.  You need to determine the ground wire is good.

Dave:      

Here is how I tested all the wires.  I have my multi-meter and I put an alligator clip on the negative terminal, then I connected that to the negative terminal on the battery.  I then used the positive terminal to check the wires that should have power.  

When the connector under the tank on the right is allowing power to go through everything correctly all the wires have power.  Sort of, for the headlight to have power I would have to hit the pass button.

Ok, I pulled the headlight bulb out and used the multi-meter in three areas where the plug attaches.  Keep in mind I had to twist the connector under the seat and hit the passing button to get power to the headlight.  

Here is what it read:
Ground:  .10
White:  .0
Yellow:  12.5

I can’t say I have any idea what this means??

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:16:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2006 S40 Headlight/Running Light/Horn Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.